It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello to all,
I have a long history with all opiates.... I had a huge addiction at one point that led me to being incarcerated for a couple years. These things have literally destroyed my life. After incarceration I was doing really good... I won't bore you with my life story, but here I am now dependent on Subutex. I have been taking it for about 6 months and realize I need to stop. My family and friends have no idea and I would like to be able to get off it without anyone close to me knowing about it. I recently got health insurance and am not sure if I should go level with a dr to see if they can give me something to help withdrawals?.... I saw the adds for Calm support and Elimidrol and was thinking about ordering one of these?.... I have 3 8mg subutex and I am trying to make these be my last 3 ever. I have been taking a little over 1 mg a day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My suggestion would be to look through the stopping suboxone section. There are so many stories from people's real experiences tapering you can't help but find one that will fit your situation. Since you are already on a low dose, and have the pills, you may want to check out the liquid taper method.

As always, low and slow is the way to go if you want to minimize discomfort. Read through the threads and formulate a plan based on what you think will work for you. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Q

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some people share my opinion that opioid dependence is an illness, with a genetic predisposition triggered by the environment (i.e. using opioids). The illness has a mortality rate of about 2%, and many people experience consequences that are almost as severe as death.

There is now, finally, a legitimate medication that treats the illness. There is a stigma to the illness, just as there is a stigma to AIDS, eating disorders, and depression. But that stigma is slowly changing.

I have seen so many people repeat the cycle of using, consequences, abstinence, and relapse. Even after losing everything, many people cling to the idea that 'they haven't been strong enough'. They have a shot at a wonderful life, without the impact of opioid agonists... but they choose, instead, to go back to the same familiar cycle.

You will find help here from people who want to discontinue buprenorphine. Those tapering off the medication after taking it for 3-5 years, or longer, have a shot at escaping that cycle. The people who stop after a few months, unfortunately, have a very low chance of staying off opioids. I don't know any of them personally--- so there is no cause for offense. I'm just citing the numbers from research, that are consistent with what I see in my own practice. I've seen so many people choose to let go of a good thing.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jojodog,

Going to a doctor now that you have insurance should not be a problem. Your Private Healthcare Information (PHI) and Personally Identifiable Information (PII) must be protected and kept confidential by law. The only people who would know anything specific would be your doctor and some of his staff, and the pharmacy people. Personally, I go to a different pharmacy for my Suboxone because my local CVS has a very "small town atmosphere", and I would rather they not know.

As SuboxDoc is alluding to, you need to consider whether jumping off at this point is in your best interest, or whether some more time would allow you to work out any remaining issues and adapt and ensure there isn't any depression, anxiety, associations, challenges, or anything else that could jeopardize your recovery.