It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial Black] [/font][font=Arial] [/font]
Hi I'm new to the site but not to suboxone, I am 19 years old and have been on suboxone for 2 years. i currently work for an electric company and am doing very well there. I Wanted to know if the initial army drug test when you first enlist can detect suboxone. I very much want to make more out of myself and i think the army is a good choice for me. I just wanted to know if i will fail the initial drug test for suboxone? I know i would have to get off befor i go to boot camp and i would be able to but i want to enlist asap. any input that is given will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Robert. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, but I thought I'd give you my two cents. In my opinion, to minimize any problems and reduce the possibility of you testing positive, I'd make damn sure you're good and off suboxone before you enlist. Drug tests are getting more and more comprehensive. Most of the basic drug tests don't test for suboxone, but we're talking about the US Army. Why take a chance when this could be a career for you?

Plus it takes a good while to taper properly off suboxone. Again, the last thing you want to do is go to an Army enlistment office looking like you're in withdrawals.

Have you taken the ASVAB test yet? You can schedule and take that in the meantime and start your taper now. But if I were you and I was serious about a career in the military, I'd try to put suboxone in my past before I come close to being drug tested for them. But that's just me.

I'm sure others will come along with their two cents as well. I wish you the very best in your future. :)

PS - I don't mean to sound negative, but I was in the Army several years ago, so I have a bit of knowledge on how they work and view things.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Wed May 16, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Robert,

Here are my thoughts, FWIW. I would do an internet search and see if the scope of drug testing by the Army is known, or perhaps even the Army lists what it tests for.

You don't mention why you are using sub. Presumably it relates to treatment for past opiates abuse. If it were related strictly to the treatment of pain, I would imagine that it would be like any other proper use of pain killing drugs, and that you would just simply disclose it in advance of your Army drug test. The fact that you have been doing well on sub for the past two years deserves congratulations and I hope that it does not adversely affect your choice to enlist in the Army. Lord knows we need good people in the armed services, and thank you in advance for considering serving our country in this manner.

So the issue seems to be that you are concerned that your past history of opiate abuse may prevent successful enlistment in the Army. Is it possible that, given your history of successful abstinence for over two years, this might not be an issue? Perhaps it's as simple as a letter from your doctor documenting your progress and treatment. Failing that, perhaps another approach, albeit a bit sneaky, would be to have a friend call the Army recruiting office from a telephone number that has nothing to do with you and simply pose the question to the Army recruiter regarding your situation. You might be pleasantly surprised with the response, or at the very least you will be well armed in advance with the information that you need in order to fulfill your aspirations to enlist in the Army.

Good luck!

SI