It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to the Forum
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi. I have a different story than many - I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I am in my mid 30's. Through what I can only describe as a lazy practice of medicine - to help me control my pain I was very quickly ramped up to taking oxycontin and oxycodone at moderate doses by my physician. While this was in fact helpful for the pain, it wasn't quite what I'd hoped for as it left me a bit lethargic. My career had began to stagnate, and I asked my physician for options other than narcotics. I was told that withdrawal at this point would be painful, and I should just continue my course of treatment. After some research, I found out about suboxone and found that it was indicated, in addition to opiate addiction, also for pain management. I watched a number of segments on youtube from Dr. Junig, and became convinced that this might be a good option. I stopped taking any narcotics on a Thursday, and started Suboxone on a Friday afternoon. I won't lie - the initial 24-48 hours were kinda rough - but after that, I've found that I can manage my pain reasonably well with a combination of suboxone, Tylenol, Advil, and Aspirin. I rotate through those throughout the day, and most days I feel pretty good. Anyone with a chronic pain condition knows that no matter what you are taking, there will be good days, and bad days - but the real 'win' for me was that I have my old energy back and I'm again loving and doing well in my career. That has been my experience with Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there smarczak:

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have found a good solution to your pain management and addiction problems with suboxone. Looking forward to hearing more about you and your recovery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:05 pm 
Welcome Smar. Thanks for posting. Yes, it sounds like your history is a bit different in some ways than a lot of our's. Sounds like perhaps you were struggling with more of a dependence on opiates rather than full-blown addiction. Or maybe you had become addicted. Or maybe you were beginning to see some addictive behavior in yourself and were able to hit the brakes before you were consumed by opiate addiction as so many of us were. Whatever the case.....good for you for doing research and taking steps to find a better answer to your chronic pain than full-agonist opiates.
I think you are so right when you said something about "lazy medicine" in regards to your doctor just writing the scripts for pain meds and upping them and so forth rather than work on some alternatives. I think it happens all the time! There are so many chronic pain conditions out there, some (like yours) which are very straightforward and without question, quite painful. While other chronic pain conditions are not as straightforward and the severity of pain varies so very much from person to person....things like degenerative disc disease, chronic abdominal pain with no definitive diagnosis or fibromyalgia come to mind. It seems like what happens so often is doctors just throw opiates on these diagnoses and then look upon us in disgust when we come to them later and tell them we've got a problem and we cannot get off the drugs! Even people who aren't really displaying addictive behaviors and don't even realize that they could in fact be dependent on opiates are innocently pulled into this cycle. The use of opiates consistently for even relatively short periods of time lead to changes in the brain that are incredible. Just ask anyone who's had an injury and been on pain pills for a few weeks what happens when they stop them......Most of them will tell you they thought they had the flu or that their pain suddenly spiked beyond what it even was when the injury was fresh! These drugs, while they have their appropriate place and need, are just screwing people over left and right, aren't they?!
Sorry, didn't mean to go off an tangent! I'm just impressed that you realized that the meds were, in effect, stealing some part of you...from your career or your loved ones or whatever. And you found a way to feel more yourself again. That is really exciting!
I would love to hear more about you when you have time. I'm interested in how much Suboxone you are taking....maybe you could tell us how much and maybe how many times a day you find you need to dose, how well it seems to manage your pain as the days go by and such. We do have others here on the site who take it for chronic pain, so I'm sure they would like to know more as well. Anyway....glad you're here and hope you'll be back!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi smarczak and welcome to the forum. I hope you find as much support here as I have. Like you, I also take suboxone for pain control (as well as for addiction). I've also found that bupe makes my chronic pain tolerable - maybe reduces it from an "8" on the pain scale down to a "6" - to me that's a nice improvement. Of course some days are better than others, but overall, I'm happy with my treatment plan - suboxone and a muscle relaxer. I'm glad it's working out for you as well.
Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.