It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay, If anyone is bothering to read this... thanks!

I've been on and off oxy for a couple years, with the majority of the time on. Tried about 8 times to get clean, even going to in-patient. I've never made it past three weeks. This was due to me not changing my habits, friends, lifestyle, etc... I then went on suboxone 6 weeks ago. Started me at 16mg/day, which was way too much, I took 8mg the fist day, 4mgs/ day for a week, and now holding steady at 2mg/day.

This doctor was a "give me $250, here's your 2 week script" sort of doctor. I saw her twice, and stock piled just under 60 8mg films.

This is supposed to be a one month supply, and at my current dose I have enough left for about 6-7 months.

My overall goal is to taper down to about .1mg/day before I jump, and also to jump by the end of July (2 months) so I have time to collect myself before I leave for school at the end of August.

My current situation: I found it extremely hard to get to my next mile marker, the 1.5mg/day. Not because of w/d's, but because I am finding it extremely difficult to accurately divide my 8mg strips lower than 2mgs

My solution: I've ordered 20 1ml slip-tip syringes, a 10ml syringe, and 12 8ml glass vies. From what I've read this should be a more accurate way of dosing when I get below 1mg.

I just wanted to post this so anyone who is interested in my posts/taper log can refer to this to get an idea of my situation. If you have any input or advice please feel free to respond, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. So if I understand correctly, you plan to be on suboxone for only 6-7 months, is that correct? With all the doses and what your doc gave you and what you're stockpiling, it's hard to tell.

I haven't tapered off yet, but there are plenty of others here who have. Give them time to see your post and offer their advise to you.

Again, welcome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Weffy,

I don't find it too hard to cut the strips down evenly to 1mg or even .5mg pieces. I use really small sewing scissors to do this. But I've heard a lot of people say they have problems doing this. Using the liquid taper method that you are planning will probably make it a lot easier.

The part that is makes it hard for me to get an even dose is when I open a package and the strip crumbles into a bunch of pieces. Some of them stay in tact, but others don't, and I don't know why this is since they are from the same original Rx and box.

You mentioned that you didn't change any of your habits, friends, or lifestyle in your previous attempts at sobriety. Are you planning on doing all of these things this time around? I am lucky because I used on my own, so I got to keep all of the same friends and mostly the same lifestyle. But I definitely need to change a lot of habits!

Welcome to the forum!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just an FYI, you might want to try tweezers to Hold the Film and either an Exacto/Razor Knife or scalpel which ever you can get. The Razor knife cuts rather than scissors smashing/squeezing the film when cut, the tweezers help to hold the film so you will not have to handle them with your fingers and the tweezers work very good. You could fairly precisely cut 8mg strips down into 2mg and then into 1mg strips and then 0.5mg pieces. I am sure that you can do a search on Google to find out about how others "cut Medical Films into smaller doses"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's true, a razor would probably be even more precise for tiny doses. But I can't use tweezers because my films are cumbly to begin with. So I just cut what I think is half. And then when I take the other half the next day, since I am on 4mg/day, I know that I have taken exactly 8mg over the course of 2 days, even if it wasn't exactly 4mg each day. Since subs have such a long half life, I think that should be ok. Good tip though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yeah, Ive been using a fresh box cutter razor blade to evenly cut down the strips into 2mg. I did this by folding it in half, and then cutting along the fold. Then again to get 2mg. when I tried to get any lower, i put the pieces side by side, and they looked a little too uneven for my liking.

I feel that as much as this will be a physical thing, its also really mental as you all probably know, and knowing that my dose will be the most precise puts me much more at ease.

@hatmaker510
Quote:
Hello Weffy,

I don't find it too hard to cut the strips down evenly to 1mg or even .5mg pieces. I use really small sewing scissors to do this. But I've heard a lot of people say they have problems doing this. Using the liquid taper method that you are planning will probably make it a lot easier.

The part that is makes it hard for me to get an even dose is when I open a package and the strip crumbles into a bunch of pieces. Some of them stay in tact, but others don't, and I don't know why this is since they are from the same original Rx and box.

You mentioned that you didn't change any of your habits, friends, or lifestyle in your previous attempts at sobriety. Are you planning on doing all of these things this time around? I am lucky because I used on my own, so I got to keep all of the same friends and mostly the same lifestyle. But I definitely need to change a lot of habits!

Welcome to the forum!

Hello and welcome to the forum. So if I understand correctly, you plan to be on suboxone for only 6-7 months, is that correct? With all the doses and what your doc gave you and what you're stockpiling, it's hard to tell.

I haven't tapered off yet, but there are plenty of others here who have. Give them time to see your post and offer their advise to you.

Again, welcome.

Yes, I am so far 3 weeks behind schedule, but from what I've read and heard around is that after about 6 months the bupe begins to settle in your bone marrow. This and me leaving to go down state to school in 3 months is the reason why I want to be opiate free by august. I don't want to fall back into that dark hole if I get stressed out.

@Taurus:

Yeah, I think this is due to not storing the strips properly. My first script was always kept in my house and every single one was in-tact. I left my second script in my car for a week with temps ranging from 60-120 degrees. All of these strips come out of the packaging in 2+ odd shaped pieces.

^I believe one of the biggest factors in a relapse is not just a change of lifestyle, but a change of surrounding too. Not so much as where you are, but who you're with and how you act with them. I recently ran into all my old using buddies last week, and decided to stay for about a half hour and catch up. I found myself having an extreme craving and the only thing that stopped my from acting on it was calling my sponsor, and most likely my previous change in routine.

I got everything I need for my water taper in yesterday, and am starting tomorrow! I'll be making a thread in a different section, and I'll post the link for anyone who is interested.
Do you guys think pictures would be appreciated, or sort-of triggering?

-Eric
Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I bring my script home and store it in the medicine cabinet in the hallway, so if it is a storing/temperature issue, then it was stored improperly before I got them. I learned a long time ago not to store meds in the bathroom due to humidity, and not to store them in the car, or any place that is subject to extreme temperatures, unless they are meant to be stored that way. But I would think the manufactuer/shipper/pharmacy would know this, and store it properly. :?

Either way, the last batch of films I got are not cracked, so I don't have this problem anymore. Maybe if it was by some fault of the manufacturer, they fixed it? I know I've heard a lot of people complain about this problem.

Good luck with your liquid taper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I wouldn't be surpirsed to find that the Films you stored in your car are useless. Not trying to alarm you but alert you to the fact that the extreme heat breaks down the synthetic compound s and changes them into something totally different, they even could be dangerous to take. So be warned of this. Do Not store anything in a car.

You also said that you relapsed 3 times before because you didn't change your habits/lifestyle/people/etc. Are 2 months enough time to get yourself into a Therapy program with a Trained Counselor ? From your history it just seems that you would definitely benefit from a trained therapist to help you with your addiction. Just my opinion for what it's worth. We all want you to succeed and get clean and more importantly Stay that way. I gather you are a younger person with the world at their feet, please make the most of it...