It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks for sharing it really helps me to hear how others are overcoming the same struggles as myself!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PDXhoops wrote:
Hey thought i'd check in for a second. Im doin good but I still have MAD cravings for OC... Also, bought some Kava (that shit SUCKS) Overall I'm doing well, I think I'm just getting used to life totally sober with out the security blanket of Suboxone...

You know, it's kinda frustrating for me because, since I didn't start Sub for an opiate dependency, I don't know what exactly these cravings are like or how to cope with them. I do have a pretty decent drug and alcohol abuse history. I was addicted to methamphetamine in my teens for a year and then I went to alcohol. And of course, there was the other stuff here and there that I messed with....pretty much the one thing I didn't mess with was opiates. I don't know if what I learned from getting off those things translates to opiate dependency or not, but I'll give it a try anyway. As far as the amphetamine, I ended up surrounded by people, over time, who ALL used meth. It seemed like I'd never be able to live without it. I couldn't imagine living without it. I detoxed off it, or more like stopped it....the detox was so easy I don't want to even call it detox....then, I went through dreaming about it for quite a while. The dreams scared me because I was using in them and when I'd wake up, I'd be like "Thank God didn't do it!!" I would have lost my boyfriend and my progress in school and probably my job if I didn't stay off it, so the dreams scared me. I stopped hanging around every single person who used meth, which unfortunately included my very best friend. Those thoughts and dreams did go away over time. With alcohol, I absolutely had cravings and tons and tons of drinking dreams. They DID go away, and I drank for years. I never dream about drinking anymore. It's so far away through time now. It just takes time. The further away you get from that life and those friends, the more new memories you make that don't involve any opiate, the easier it should get if opiates are anything like other drugs. You cannot control your dreams. Your head is just going to go there, whether or not you like it, but it doesn't mean you have to use...that's where your power comes in. I really benefited from meetings. I mean, REALLY benefited from them. I don't see how people stay sober off their drug of choice without meetings, as when you go to a meeting, you dump all the worry over your dreams and everything else, people let you know you aren't alone and you can see how much they do in fact identify with you. I'm not that familiar with the online recovery programs, but even if you think they are super corny, which they absolutely are at times, I still suggest you give them a try.

I just don't want you to go back. It's so not worth it. Man, I was up all night with the horrible clammy sweats and anxiety and I don't want anyone who has already been through it to have to go back to that place. Thanks for checking in!! One month is HUGE!!! It's the hardest month, after all. Here's to next month being easier!!!!!!

laddertipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all
New to this site but on drugscom same name for over a year. I started subs November 2009 and never got above 6mgs a day. Was on Methadone prior to that for one and half years and on and off opiates for 20 years. I am 44 now and withdrawals cant take anymore like when I was younger. I slowly tapered down to 200micrograms a day and every couple a weeks I would just cut very slowly and stayed there. I came off the 200micrograms on March 1st, 2011 and went thru very mild withdrawals, most noticeably was depression, lack of motivation and some restlessnes. I can take klonopin which I did and that seemed to help. I will come off that next but what happened today was bad cravings and the depression was really getting me. I took 1mg today and feel fine. I am a little down on myself and asked doctors and therapist about this and they dont have a clue really about how to taper off it or if you can even use it once a week for awhile while you are still tapering or is this still a taper process. My doctor is pretty open and will write that I take it still and he will leave it open at half a 2mg once a day, so 15 pills will be enough if I choose to take it once a day. My question is has anyone tapered to zero to find that they had to still or it helped them to take it once every couple of days or weeks to continue with the taper process. I have found very little written about this and wonder if this could be a way to still taper. Lot of good people on this site and glad I found it. Excellent support and the person who got down to .5 only to bump up again and the March 24th date. I would say maybe we are at similar points in a way because I am finding their is now right way to totally taper this and does taking it once a week or once every couple of weeks play a role in the taper. Any help or ideas would be appreciated and wish the best to all on this path. I believe its a better path than the total destruction of full agonists and its working out the kinks of this medication. Hopefully we can find a way for all of us. Love, Peace, Joy Rob.