It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to Tapering
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on 8 mg suboxone for close to 5 years probably. Before that, i was addicted to opiates like Norco. I am now tapering and down to just less than half a strip per day. I have the 2.5 mg strips. I now feel stuck because i have to see the dentist tomorrow and will have to have some work done. I am just really worried about how this could affect my tapering. I have started a recovery program to help me. Other than that, i have no support. My husband lives in another city because of his job and he is really upset with me anyway for being on it so long. I am looking for some support online because i have read posts on here for quite some time. it is really hard when you get absolutely no encouragement at all, only negative comments and someone who doesn't understand what i am going through. I know he is hurt and i try to apologize all the time but no response or understanding/support. Any input would be much appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: New to Tapering
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello texyann and welcome to the forum!

You've come to the right place for help and support. Lots of knowledgeable and caring members here that will be glad to assist and support you along the way.

That's great your down to less than 1mg from 8mg previously. I don't think you need to feel stuck or worried about going to the dentist. Just get whatever work you need to get done and then resume the taper if that's what you are wanting to do.

It has to be tough having your husband living in a different city than you. Not sure if I would like that or not? But I absolutely assure you there is plenty of support here available anytime you need it. Get on here and talk, ask questions, rant, and use it as a journal that will really help the process.

It's also great you have begun a recovery program too. Sounds like your serious about this and that is exactly what it takes to be successful! Let us know how your dental appointment goes tomorrow and how we can help further.

All the best to you, and please try to remain positive. It will all work out fine I'm sure.

Hugs,
Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Texyann, (cute name :D )

I totally get how hard it is to taper when you feel condemned and unsupported by your spouse. It sucks, it's hard, and it creates extra stress that you really don't need. You need to be doing this because it's what you want, not because he wants you to. I hope you have the desire to do it for yourself or I'm afraid you will have problems down the road.

I know that people who aren't addicts don't understand this. And I know that they are only doing what they think is right when they try to push us to taper...but it is very counterproductive.

I wish you the best of luck! We are here for you to support you. You are doing great! Under 2mg is a really good start! Keep working it.

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Texyann,

I too was in the same position you were in a few years ago. My husband pretty much shamed me to get off of suboxone. So I did taper on my own schedule. Which there are plenty of schedules on this forum for you to try.

the only thing is, that as soon as I tapered off and got off of suboxone, my husband was happy and I was miserable because that was the only medication that helped with my addiction. I ended up relapsing because I was tapering off for my husband not for me.

I am now on Suboxone for the 2nd time and this time, my husband does not know. I think it is better for me that way. He is not educated enough on addiction or sympathetic to the disease.

I do wish you all the luck, and just make sure you are tapering for YOU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your support. I am doing this for myself, not my husband. I just wish he could give support of any kind. He lives in another city about 4 hours away so we don't see each other much. I will stay on my taper no matter what he does or does not do. I only wish he could support me, it just makes it easier. I am going to outpatient meetings and that helps a lot. I am down to a little less than 1mg per day and i have been on that for longer than i thought i would be. Just trying to stay the course...