It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: hi i am new
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone.

I am new to Suboxone. I am however not new to being an addict. I have been reading so much good and bad about suboxone on this site that I am hopeful and scared all at once.

Thank you for letting me share
Hobbies from NC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi wdfmom,

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm glad you've been reading around the forum, there's lots of good information here.

If you don't mind talking about it, what kind of things are you reading about Suboxone that are scaring you?

Post subject: the scary part
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What scares me is not being able come off this drug. Than I read about hair loss. Teeth rotting.
Correct me if I am wrong but no one knows the long term effects of this drug.
thanks for listening
bobbie

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bobbie,

Try not to let the hair loss or the teeth rotting thing get to you. I've been on this forum for a long time and the percentage of people who mention these "side effects" is very, very low. The hair falling out thing is rarely mentioned and there's really no way to tell if it's Suboxone or not. As for the teeth rotting, it's my understanding that opiates in general can cause some of us dry mouth. It's also my understanding that it's the dry mouth that causes dental issues. Suboxone is an opiate, so it may cause dry mouth too? Other members have mentioned using Biotene to help combat the dry mouth. You could give that a try if you feel you need to.

For what it's worth, I was on opiates (including my time on Suboxone) for almost 13 years, but I never experienced any issues with my hair falling out or any teeth issues.

Now, getting off of Suboxone can be tricky. If you jump from a high dose like I did, prepare to have your ass handed to you. The smart thing to do is to taper off of Suboxone once you feel you have got your life back together and when you feel you're in a good place with your recovery. We've had many, many people taper off of Suboxone without experiencing grueling wd symptoms. A taper takes discipline and a commitment, but you can do it.

As far as not knowing the long term effects of this drug, high dose Buprenorphine has been around for 10+ years, so the side effects may not have been studied all that well, but the way I look at it, I know what the long term side effects of my addiction going untreated were.....jails, instituions or death. As with everything in life, we have to balance the pro's and the con's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Romeo and others.

I have never experienced hair loss even after a fairly high dosage for six years. I also haven't experienced teeth rotting, per se. I have had extra plaque build up where my sub usually dissolved but it's inconclusive and all I had to do was brush more there anyway. If you have good oral hygiene, you should be fine. I have had my issues with sub but it also saved my life. To sum it up, sub was like two steps forward, one step back. Two steps forward, one step back. Yes, it has it downsides but for me, I am grateful that I was always moving forward while on it. I had to make some sacrifices (social/ personal) but it was the lesser of my two evils and I don't think I'd be sitting here today if it were not for the suboxone program. I just wish I hadn't stayed on it for so long, that was truly unnecessary in my situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 pm 

Hello, Bobbie! I want to say, welcome to our forum! As for side effects, I had a few difficulties myself, although the pros definitely out weighed the cons for me. No hair loss or tooth decay though. My sub doc talks a lot about the fact that it's been in use in Europe for a long time now. However, I haven't seen any kind of long term studies on suboxone use either and I would like to hear some scientifically tested results of long term use.

For me, suboxone has been a drug that totally turned my life around. I couldn't have made as much progress as I have without it. I'm in the process of tapering my dose very slowly and it is totally doable!

Take care and let us know if you have more questions!

Amy

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree being on suboxone for 10 days now is awesome. I feel better mentally. And physically. I don't know where I would be now or in the future without it. My three year old son is what made me see the light and hit my bottem. I was going through withdrawals. From hydrocodone and was very angry and frustrated with him because he was not getting ready he looked at me and asked me why I was sick. I knew than I needed to change.

I see now in only a few short days that feels like years I had checked out from being the best mom I could be.his father and I are working on building a relationship again. The hard part and I know I will have to come clean about all this to him is I suffered alone in my addiction but hurt everyone and they did not and still don't know why.

I know I can do this because I stayed clean the whole time I was pregnant with my son. I pray I don't ever go back to that dark place again.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome Bobbie! You sound a lot like me, especially when I first started suboxone. Now, I've only been on it 5 months, not near as long as some of the other members who've responded, but I am so glad I've made it this far and doing really well with it.

I too was afraid of the side effects and the unknown of this fairly "new" drug, but at the rate things were going, I knew it couldn't be as bad as the direction I was heading... My DOC was hydrocodone too. I was taking 20+ 10mg pills a day, and usually that number would be even higher depending on how much I had... you know the drill. I used regularly for 6+ years, but got even worse after I had my daughter. I think a lot of that was me quiting my job to be a stay at home mom, and guess I just didn't have enough to keep my mind busy like I did when I was working and I started taking more and more pills daily. That's great that you were able to stay completely clean while you were pregnant. I was still prescribed 2 pills a day during my pregnancy, but I felt so guilty that I'd only take 1 pill on some days and on most days, I wouldn't take anything. I was too scared of hurting my baby, but I did take enough that I wasn't too sick and I could function. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to cut down or abstain while you're pregnant isn't it? Doing it for another little person is a lot easier than doing it for ourselves.

I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, but you don't have to take high amounts of suboxone or even stay on it longer than you feel comfortable. So far, I've not had any hair loss or dental issues, but I'm taking a 4mg dose daily. I'm prescribed 16mg. I am holding onto the extra so that I know when the time comes, I will have enough to do a very slow taper and not have to risk jumping off at a high dose. I'm just telling you what works for me and maybe give you some ideas that may work for you as well. 4mgs keeps my cravings away and helps with the pain I have in my back.

Of course I'm scared still of the unknown and what will happen when I do decide to taper and/or quit the drug, but being on this forum and talking to other members who have been there, done that has really put my mind at ease. There are some great people on here who have "real" advise, not just what you get from googling suboxone and reading all the horror stories. These people have real life experience and a lot of knowledge. I've read a lot of posts on the "Stopping Suboxone" board and I feel pretty confident that a slow taper will be the best way for me to go and as long as I try to keep my dose as low as possible and not take more sub that my body needs, I'll be ok. I think you will too! ;)

Keep posting, stick around and try not to worry so much about the long term stuff just yet. You're doing the right thing, right now for you and for your little boy. You don't have to worry about running out of pills and being sick and aggravated with him and him not understanding why mommy is sick... I know, I've been there. I know what it feels like to have a little one and be sick and it can make you feel like the worst mom in the world... Thankfully we're in the right place now and we're doing what we need to be better, especially for our babies.

Hope to see more of you around here, Good Luck and keep us posted on how you're doing!

Post subject: hair loss, teeth
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Bobby, if it helps, I've been on subs for 8 years and the worst side effects I've experienced are feeling slightly dizzy if I suddenly stand from a sitting position. I've never in my life heard of a single person losing a single follicle of hair as a direct result of sub use.As for the teeth...sub is a painkiller, so you may not initially notice the type of pain which tells you that you need a dentist, which could lead to complications down the line, but that's only I you completely neglect your teeth. Again, not a direct result of the drug itself. hope this is some use to ya