It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New in KS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all...

Well... today is my first post on the forum, as well as my first dose of Suboxone.

After many knee surgeries due to basketball in high school/college, I got on a pain management contract with a doctor in 2006. For about 18 months all was good... taking Hydrocodone, just a little, whenever I needed, on off, etc... just as it should be.

Then... well... you can guess the rest.

So as a New Year's resolution I decided to get out from under the pain meds. Took my first dose of Suboxone 20 minutes ago... so we'll see how it goes.

So, I'm very new and didn't even know this stuff existed just a month ago. So now we'll see how it works. It can't be worse than the billion times I tried quitting on my own, laying in bath tubs aching and feeling horrible, downing Unisom trying to knock myself out to sleep through the horrible feelings.

So... wish me luck. I can't wait to see how this works.

- Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Scott - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

I was wondering how your induction went? You said today? Were you in mild/moderate withdrawal symptoms before your first dose?

We are excited to hear how you are doing with suboxone. Most of us here are on some suboxone or subutex (same main medicine - buprenorphine).

Anyway - keep us posted! Especially if you feel 'normal' after your induction has leveled out. That's the magic for many of us - we don't feel fuzzy, high, numb... just 'normal'... and it has been so long since we felt 'normal' it takes time to adjust.

Welcome, and I am looking forward to hearing more from you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey LD, thanks for the reply.

So... my withdrawal symptoms were JUST BARELY creeping back. My Dr. said that as long as I feel any 2 different symptoms, then I'm ok to take it. He said to take 1/2 a pill... wait an hour... see if it's ok...

Then 1/2 more... then 1/2 more. I'm prescribed 1.5 pills per day to start.

I have to say just like 2 hours into this and I'm IMPRESSED! I mean... looking at the clock right now I should be craving hydrocodone a lot. It's been since noon since I took my last HC pills. After 9pm I should be hurting.

But... I feel great! I mean, I'm surprised!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:44 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Scott!

Whahoo! I know that I was/am so thrilled about getting on suboxone over regular opiates.

Are you well versed in suboxone? It has a very long half life - like 37 hours (you can google it) - so another bonus is that the more you feel normal, the longer, the more you feel normal... and the upside is that it blocks any slip ups..

Say you decided to take a couple hydro's... you'd feel zip... except bugged you took them and you wasted $$.

It really gives us freedom to deal with the dependency, and how to wean off (some may or choose never to wean off) over time with a slow taper! Congratulations and welcome to the family :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:32 pm 
Yes, welcome Scotter23! You will find good information and support here! I'm glad your induction onto Suboxone went smoothly. It may take a little time to get lined out well with your Suboxone, to find the right dose that keeps the withdrawal symptoms away and keeps the cravings at bay. If you're prescribed 12 mg/day (1 1/2 pills correct?) that should be enough although some people find they need more than that for the first month or so. This medicine works wonderfully but you will also need to become educated about addiction, find good support, and/or get some therapy or group meetings. Sounds like you were one of the many 'unwitting' addicts - victims of too many scripts for pain meds for too long of a time, then the 'switch' flips in your head and you're a full-blown opiate addict. It sucks, but the reality is that we become just as addicted as people who started using drugs just to get high. I won't go into all that any further (I have a tendency to run on and on!)
Again - welcome and feel free to come here and ask anything and everything you need. We're all here to help each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SetmeFree:

You're dead on. I have never smoked pot once. I barely drink. I married my HS sweetheart. I have two amazing kids and a great job.

I'm the guy this doesn't happen to. I'm the guy this can't happen to. But you're right, that switch flipped and bam... it was too far gone.

I'm happy to report now 18 hours or so into my suboxone than I haven't felt a single withdrawal symptom. Not one.

I'm almost doing a happy dance here! I'm spending tons of time with my wife and kids and having a ball... and not shivering in bed or aching in a hot bath or chewing Immodium like it's skittles.

I know this is a first step... I'm just giddy that I'm doing wonderfully! It's amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My Doctor told me that compared to the 100 patients he's treating that I'm on what he calls the 'low end' of what I was taking and how much.

That doesn't make me less of an addict I know.

I'm not sure if he's right but, I was taking about 70 to 90 mg's of Hydrocodone per day.

Is that... a lot? He described people snorting OxyContins... which I didn't even know you could do!

I mean in comparison to many stories, etc.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:49 pm 
Yes I remember that 'happy dance' too! When I started Sub six months ago it was the most normal and wonderful I had felt in years! I could not believe how magnificent it felt to just feel normal! While that sort of 'honeymoon' effect does fade somewhat, the good feelings of normal continue on for most of us on Suboxone. We're able to go on and function in our daily lives without the ball and chain of chasing pills all the time. My advice is to just enjoy this time, settle in on your medication regimen (the usual recommendation being once a day dosing of your entire daily dose so as to break the cycle of multiple dosing throughout the day which is considered by some to be a part of addictive behavior). Once you've settled in and gotten a few weeks of just feeling normal under your belt, you need to begin in earnest to work on your recovery. Suboxone to me is a "miracle pill" although some people object to that terminology. However it alone is NOT the complete answer to your addiction. You'll need to get to work on the issues surrounding your abuse of medications. That takes different forms for different people - some do 12 step work, some do group or individual counseling. You'll need to work on healing the damage you've done to your body - physical exercise, good nutrition and so forth. There's just a lot more involved than just taking your orange pill each day.
I agree with your doctor - your hydrocodone habit wasn't the worst ever if you're strictly talking in terms of the potency of the drug and the dosage and route you were taking it. I don't think all that matters that much though. What matters is the fact that you had become physically dependent on it and you probably exhibited some addictive behavior associated with it like early refills, doctor shopping, obtaining pills from sources other than your doctor, stuff like that. Or maybe you did none of that in which case maybe you were really just dependent and not technically addicted. That line can be rather blurry sometimes but whatever the case, is the pills were affecting your life negatively - you needed help and I'm glad you've gotten it!
My story is a little different. My addiction started out similar to yours - took too much hydrocodone (about the same amount as you were taking), never snorted it or anything, moved on to some oxycodone, still just by mouth. After quite some time with that I began experimenting with IV drugs at my workplace (I had been a nurse for many years). More of the details of my story are scattered all over the forum so I won't go into it all here. But, like you, I was the last person anyone would have ever suspected would have done what I ended up doing. I'm in my 40s, not a drinker, never abused drugs of any kind until I was about 40 years old. My addiction made a huge mess of my otherwise pretty pristine reputation! I've been through a lot and with the help of Suboxone I am digging my way out of a whole truck load of guilt, shame, and every other negative emotion you can think of! I only wish I had learned of this medication sooner before so much damage had been done.
Keep visiting the forum. Pretty much every question I have ever had about Sub has been answered here and everyone is really supportive.
I'm not a doctor, not an expert, just sharing my experiences in hopes of helping someone else like I've been helped!
Stay on track so your addiction steals nothing more from you or your family my new friend! We're practically neighbors - I live in Sooner land - good ole Oklahoma!!! Have a great afternoon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:00 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome Scott!!!

As you have already found out, mostly everybody here is very friendly and full of great information. Two excellent examples are setmefree and lathedude . They have both helped me either directly or indirectly numerous times with answers to questions and lots of really good info. There are also so many other great people on here that are here to help and be helped. If you haven't already you should also read into Dr. Junig's story and check out suboxonetalkzone.com for more great information.

With that said, I too am on suboxone 12mgs per day (1.5 of the 8mg subs). As a matter a fact, today was my regular scheduled monthly appointment. Everything went perfect as usual.
Your induction sounded flawless too. Sounds like you were in mild/moderate w/d and the suboxone made you feel much better. Thats great! I don't want to keep repeating what people already said (or sound like I am telling you what to do), but you should work on the reasons why you ended up here, not just take the suboxone. Many have had luck with NA/AA, other 12 step programs, counseling with their doctors, and/or online support, plus I am sure there are other ways. I actually rather log on this forum and read/post then do some other means of support, but that is me...

I am not going to get into what my drug of choice was { drug(s) }, but I did get addicted to the opiates because of chronic pain like you, I also did smoke pot and drink in my earlier years (started drinking about 13-14, first percocet 16, then very long story). Point I am trying to make is that addiction has many different faces. Anyway, when I finanly ended up getting on suboxone a little over 6 months ago (started at 24mg per day now at 12mg per day), my opiate intake was very high. Quite a bit higher than 70mgs hydro a day...not like its a contest, I am quite ashamed. I have heard of people on higher equivalent doses of full agonists then me and have success with suboxone. I have also heard of people taking Tramadol and low doses of hydro/oxy and on suboxone. What works for you to keep you out of active addiction with your drug of choice, hydrocodone, is what you need to do/take. If its 2mg suboxone, great, if its 16mg suboxone thats fine too!!

Well, that was a long first post to you, but I have so much more info as do others on here. Just ask any or all of us for some help or insight if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. I am glad you chose this forum and you will not be disappointed! Good luck with everything...

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:22 pm 
I was just reading BigRed's reply (he always has good things to say!) and I re skimmed over my last reply as well. Something I said (or rather did not say) stuck right out at me so I need to make a quick addendum.
Close to the end of my post I said something about having been through a lot and digging myself out from under a lot of shame and guilt. I said "thanks to Suboxone" and while that is very true, I did not give credit to whom it is most due. That is to God! Without the grace of my good and loving God I wouldn't have found this path to recovery. The spiritual journey of recovery from addiction should not be underestimated or undervalued - in my opinion it is a critical piece of the puzzle.
Anyway....yes, God's grace and the forgiveness and the support of my loved ones is what has gotten me this far and what's gonna keep me going. This thing is a marathon not a sprint, that I know for sure!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SetmeFree:

We all have our beliefs but... make no mistake... YOU DID IT. God didn't have a remote control. If your faith helped you through it, ok... but YOU did it. You deserve the credit and the praise and the reward. No matter what you still have free will and you did it! So congrats! God might be in your life, but you deserve the credit and praise for all you've done. Don't short change what you've done.

And to all...

I was just introducing myself to the list... I didn't go into the whole 'my story' in detail too much as I figured this was more an introduction than anything. A few replies to me seem to imply that I ONLY am taking the suboxone and am not working on the other elements of addiction. That isn't further from the truth. I'm working with my family and have been seeing counseling as well. My wife is awesome! Suboxone is actually the LAST piece to the puzzle. So please... know that I have been working hard in all the other aspects of life and addiction before I even found suboxone. Because this is the piece that's new to me, I sought out this forum in hopes of discussing it and such. But... I do understand all those things... and am taking steps to address them.

I'm so glad to have found all of you! Reading all of this, this place is great and I'm thankful I have found it.

I'm learning so much just by reading everything as I go.

I am about to take my 2nd dose of Suboxone tonight. So far so good.

HOWEVER: I do have a question for those still reading this thread. Is it supposed to make you drowsy? An hour after taking it last night I felt awesome (normal) ... but then WHAM... exhausted and needing to sleep. In case it happens today, I'm going to wait right until it's time to sleep.

I was just curious. That I hadn't expected.

Post subject: Congrats....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi scotter23,
Congrat's on getting into Recovery. I know it's not the easiest thing to do......
As the others have said welcome to this forum and use the wealth of info on it to help yourself!
I just wanted to chime in with my experience with this "life saving drug" (Suboxone). To give you some backround I was on 300 to 350 mgs. of Oxycodone/day. I had this addiction for years and it progressed just like it says in the text books. I finally came clean with my Dr. in Feb. 2009. It was the smartest thing I could have done. I'll spare you the details but I am currently on 16 mgs. of Suboxone/day and have been since induction. The other thing that I do faithfully is therapy with a counsuler. I have found that this part of Recovery is very valuable for me. I go at least 2 time per month and between that and the Suboxone and some help from God I have been able to stay clean so far!!!.... I hope my experience has given you some insight. If I can be of any help please feel free to contact me. I wish you and everyone out here in recovery a Happy & Sober/Clean 2010!! Keep up the Great Work!! :)
God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Scotter23 -

You asked about the 'whamo' sleep an hour after your last dose?

I have had some of those experiences myself. They are not frequent, but they are there off and on.

I have honestly wondered to myself, a big part of my addiction was to take opiates for the energy - to press on when I should be listening to my body. It gave me the ability to go harder, further, faster, more... THE LIE....

When I hit the pillow after my nightly (I am now on once a day) - I think honeslty it was 75% my body saying - you are exhausted - you have abused your body for years - and it is time to rest.

I'm in therapy too. Similar story - wonderful wife, kids, outside looks good, inside a bag of bones... I find my personal walk through this - includes God, personal accountability, and honesty. Everyone here that I read about - BIGRED/SETMEFREE/TW/ALL... seem to understand things intuitively that others don't. Maybe it's part of the 'disease.'

I started out on 12 mg's a day. 1/2 pill 3x - a day. A week or so into it, I had a tough time with the noon 1/2 so I moved to 1 - 8mg in am, then 1/2 -4mg in the pm. I learned about the ceiling effect of sub , and thought - I know and I want to move to 8mg's a day (If I have minimal or no side effects) - and I want to just take it once a day! With suboxone having a 37 hour average half life that should be no big deal (37 hour half life compared 4 hours or less for the other opiates I was using) - I started at 10mg - 1-8mg in am, 1/4 in PM. I then went to 9mg 1-8mg in am, 1/8 in pm. I thought - that's no big deal - that afternoon one is so small - I can just quit it and everything will be fine!

Truth - it was fine. Strangely - I found the HABIT of taking pills was part of my journey. For years, I searched out a pill every 4 hours - except when sleeping. Now, I had no idea, yet I kept thinking - somehow I was feeling better with a pm dose.

Now... please hear this... I do not have 'chronic pain' and there are some here that find multi-day dose to be of benefit for their pain. I think that is fantastic. I was and am trying to break my bad behavior for myself. I found a family situation about a couple days after I was on 9mg where I was occupied until nearly bedtime... I just skipped that night dose (1 mg anway :) )...
and - wow.. just like that - once a day. Minimal, to almost no wd's. It's strange, but for me 8mg is like 12mg. The hard part was giving up the habit of taking something in the night... I have plenty more to go.

There is good reason to believe that over time, I'll move down to 4mg - and have the same result. Lots of folks here talk about 4mg being the ceiling area - I'm not personally sure yet, but hey - over time - with help - whatever works and keeps me out of the tub, chills, sweats, and eating immodium (you made me laugh - but that's me too)!

Glad to have you here. Not only will you be helping yourself, you are already helping others! Keep on a posting!