It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New! Also - wine on Sub?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all. I posted earlier in the inductions section. After a few set backs - I finally started my new process. Have 1 (5.7mg) pill in me and feeling just fine. Mentally - I'm all over the place. But whatevs. I hope this is a new start. Looking forward to what happens next. Anything I should be aware of - like side effects that can be diverted or weird interactions, etc? Or just a hello would be lovely. Thx for reading.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats on making it through the induction! It takes about a week to stabilize, but I sincerely believe you will feel much better than you have been on the Oxy.

Concerning you question about wine, I don't drink myself (may 1 or 2 times a year actually), but several people have mentioned in their threads that they don't seem to enjoy drinking the way they used to before bupe. I don't believe there is any severe danger in mixing them (the way there is with Xanax or other benzos), they just seem like it isn't as pleasant as it used to be. Maybe someone with firsthand experience will chime in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just found this thread; maybe it will be helpful --> glass-wine-t11308.html

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi FMK,

I think a couple of glasses of vino is fine on sub. However, any more than that and I feel sick. Some people say they can drink a lot while on sub and feel just fine, but for me, it's just not worth it. I start to suffer if I have more than a couple of drinks and I used to be able to drink a lot. Lol.

So, I'm sure it's fine if you have a bit 'o vino. Just be careful that you don't start replacing a pill high with an alcohol high, you know? As other people have said, because we are used to chasing a high, it's easy to replace one high with another. I'm sure you are smarter than that, just wanted to chime in.

I hope you are feeling well and that the next week goes well for you! Way to go on a smooth induction! You will be so happy when you realize you don't have to worry about your next oxy or about feeling sick. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FMK

YEAH! I was so happy to read that you started. IMO it takes a little time to adjust to the medication. Nothing severe or sickness, just a different feeling. Let us know how things go tomorrow with the doctor. Are you taking another zub tonight? Again, IMO the lower you stay the better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh and as Morphing said, for some of us, it takes a few days or a week to stablilize. It took me about 3-4 days. Just know that if you feel shaky, a bit off, etc. over the next few days, it's just your body adjusting. I was able to work my high-stress job during those days, so it's totally bearable. I just don't want to scare you or anything, but on those days I felt the urge to take more sub even though I didn't need more than the dose I'd stabilized on. I'm glad I didnt, but the urge was there so I wanted to let you know that it may happen. I hope it doesn't for you and that you feel well! Either way, just thought I'd prepare you in case you feel that way. If you do, it will totally pass and it won't be bad, just kind of a feeling that you aren't taking enough. I'm sure I felt that way because I was used to chasing a high and my body just had to adjust.

But then again, we all have different experiences with sub. I bet yours will be smooth sailin'!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks all! i had like half a glass and couldn't finish it. it made me super groggy. and i had been feeling good. so I'm all set until i stabilize on this. its just so weird for me. i have been addicted to something - anything - most of my teenage - adult years. alcohol being the most comforting and easiest. but whatever. i am here to change things. mostly i am here to get myself off the oxys. if i happen to find another lifestyle - sober or what have you - so be it. right now i am feeling a little - vanilla. does that make sense? I've been so used to jumping on a pill every 3-4 hours and riding that for a while and the day so far, feels long. but!! not terrible. that's why i thought a glass of wine would help. ANYway - tomorrow i see my doc. tomorrow i also go back to work and hit an unnatural amount of demands at once - year end product reviews, interviews, numerous deadlines. i am beyond scared since i used to have my crutch. but i got tired of saying, "after this next huge project"… blah blah. so now the time is here. thanks again all. that thread (link) was a good read too. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

badkitty - i was actually feeling that JUST now. wondering if i should take the 2nd pill. i feel like i know you people already :wink: thanks!

Post subject: Re: New! Day 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 3. Little bit harder today. Work is insane - and I just found myself doing my usual coping strategy which is to run to my car and drive to a lot away from work - only usually I would hit back 1-3 pills depending on stash. Instead I'm just sitting here trying to make sense of the trigger. And just chill. Definitely hard to break bad patterns. I start therapy on Friday as part of my sub maintenance. I'm not sure I'm stable yet on my meds either. I mean, it's only day 3, but I'm keeping my max at 2 since I have educated myself as much as possible on the ceiling effect and how hard it is to taper, more is not better type situation. I just wonder if I need to do a small dose midday? Or should I keep myself on 1 morning and 1 after work? Time will tell. Right now - honestly - if it didn't block it, I would go grab pills. Addiction talking though. It gets easier?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

For My Kids,
Yes, it does get better. I don't know all the why's and wherefore's, but I guess it may be the fact that the Sub holds you steady, so there aren't the "rushes" as with opiates, and then eventually the cravings just fade away. Whatever the reason, they do fade away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks. The first 2 days were eye opening for me. That I could do this. But the novelty is wearing off and now the real work begins to discontinue my old patterns. Work in progress.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi FMK,

I remember feeling like that my first week on sub. It will pass, but it does suck to always be thinking about how you should maybe take more, will it help me feel better, I wish I could do pills, etc. Just know it will pass and don't give in to taking more sub. Someone gave me advice that really worked for me during those days, it just involved asking yourself a series of questions, which for me, lead me to making the decision not to take more sub. It went like this:

-Do I feel REALLY sick right now, as in, am I going to throw up, can't move, diarrhea, can't talk, etc.? Am I curled up in a ball, unable to function, completely debilitated?

If the answer is no to those questions, you do not need more suboxone.

Every time I'd start thinking I needed to take more sub, I'd ask myself those questions. The answer was always NO, so I wouldn't take it. After about 4-5 days, I didn't have those feeling anymore and I felt stable on sub.

Of course, I'm no doctor and not an expert, and in some cases, there may be a need to take more sub, but I think, in most cases, our addict brains convince us that we need more because we are feeling "off," or a bit shaky, etc. during that first week of your body adjusting to the sub. Or, maybe it's just because we are so conditioned to be taking more of something throughout the day that we start to convince ourselves that we need more sub.

Just my two cents. I hope you are still doing well and feeling better!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

this is really helpful. and really appreciated. i think it is def the act of taking something. thank you for being here when i need you guys. it's a huge help while navigating this somewhat lonely, foreign territory. keeping busy with a ton of work - which is really helping. and still, no desire to drink my wine. weirder than anything else. it's a positive and welcome change from my self destructive habits. have a good nite everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there FMK

You are doing well and what you are feeling was how i felt. It was like a break up when i went to sub and the days were long. Now there isn't enough time in a day LOL Bad Kitty is spot on. It is habit and bad coping skills (at least for me) that have us wanting to adjust are feelings by taking more opiates IMO . It will take a few days to adjust that habit - maybe throw a tic tac in your mouth if you have the desire to "take something".

In a week or so you probably won't be thinking so much about being on sub, you will be thinking about other things, that was my experience. I didn't have cravings where i would tear the house apart looking for a pill but i did crave my routine. Get dressed, take a couple 30's, get ice coffee - more pills, get pissed of at work-more pills. I am a very lucky person that i didn't die with the amount of crap i was chewing. It gets better, it did for me and it did for many others. My therapist had me switch up my routine. I showered then put makeup on, then got dressed, stopped getting my ice coffee at the same time, little adjustments go a long way. I once again can get my ice coffee and not have the urge to take anything other than a sip of the coffee.

You are doing just fine so give yourself a pat on the back. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This sounds exactly like my routine! The minute I wake up - usually hurting - I would scramble to my stash drawer and put down a 30. Then shower and get through the morning chaos getting the 2 young ones ready and off to school/daycare... Then after, another 30 and a coffee to settle down from the chaos. I mean, now that I write it... It is just getting the kids off to school? Not some marathon type accomplishment! Then an hour drive to work, usually rewarded with another pill before going into the office. Then lunch break - then post work, pre drive, post drive - post kids to bed. Lord. What a bad bad cycle. And it was never enough those last few weeks, days. I'm also lucky - some nights I would worry before sleep, what if I don't wake up? That is insanity. So... New routines? Got it. I'm going for this recovery - hopefully with the same passion I had for the addiction. I'm a fan of one of the forum member's name... Amy_work in progress. Because that's certainly the truth. How long have you been off pills, tiki? Or anyone that's been helping me? Amy, badkitty, morphing.. All ya'll are great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

ForMyKids,
I'm a relative newcomer myself. I started Sub about 6-1/2 weeks ago, so I'm only a little bit ahead of you, which I guess is why I can so easily remember what the first week was like.
Keep us posted.
Morphing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:22 am 

Hey FMK :)

I just wanted to also tell ya some things that helped me adjust to the chaotic routine of using ending. I had lot's of little things I did while I was high, places I'd go too. I tried to change everything, every detail that reminded me of when I'd be high. I actually probably went overboard and got ridiculous with it but I just wanted any trigger or memory to leave my mind. I had certain candy I ate when I'd get done doing pills (cowstails lol). I stopped eating those until recently. Every time I'd eat one after I started sub, I'd get this flood of something is missing and it was the high....does that make sense to ya? I stopped wearing certain clothes, got a different haircut....anything that I could change to help me adjust, I did. Now I'm not suggesting u stop eating and abandon ur wardrobe and cut all ur hair off lol, I'm just explaining that all of us had something that we did as a routine somehow when we were using. Maybe change some little things up to help ya adjust. I also started working out and shopping since I had the money to do it since stopping pills. U explaining the routine u did while u were using is what I'm talking about. I'm sure ur missing that and it's ok, that's part of it unfortunately. So change some tiny things up a bit, I promise it'll help.

Once u get adjusted to ur sub more, u will forget all that stuff anyway. I went bk to my cowtails after all lol. I've been on sub for 3 yrs now. My life is completely different now. I don't have to worry about a pill just to play with my kids, or take a shower even. Thank goodness those days are long gone. U have a great blessing now that you have started this new life in recovery. I'm thankful everyday. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:09 pm 

Hi FMK. I have been off oxy since October 2011. That's when I started on sub. And I still feel that I'm a work in progress! I've come a long way since 2011, but it's been babysteps! I gave myself that name when I joined here in Feb. 2012, after lurking for a few months, but I didn't yet realize how true that was going to be.

Here are the baby steps I think that I have taken since 2011. And they really are small steps. I was not working at the time and I really didn't have too much household responsibility either.

1. Finding ways to take up the time, since I wasn't obsessing anymore.

2. Switching my hours around to a more normal schedule. I was used to being in bed almost 24/7 during active addiction. During the day I would sleep. I would wake up to drive my son home from school, (my husband drove him every morning). I made sure he had something to eat and then I would retreat into my room and spend all evening and night in bed using heavily. Most of the time I was nodding off, but I would be also on my computer or trying to read a book. So after a year? of keeping that schedule, including on a vacation (somewhat modified) I made the colossal effort to start getting up in the morning and sleeping at night.

3. Getting out of my house. (I still struggle with this.) I started volunteering at a daycare for babies of addicts 2 times a week/4 hours at a time.

4. Getting back to work. The fall of 2013 I started working again, part time. I'm still working part time. Bringing money into our household working felt like a huge step.

5. Reconciled with my dad. I was honest with my dad about his role in my addiction and told him about what was still hurting me. He turned his behavior around and apologized for what he had done.

6. Getting back into school. I just replied to a graduate program, but I don't know whether or not I got in yet. During active addiction I had derailed my educational pursuits and also made the decision, after taking all prerequisite courses, that nursing would not be a good career for me because of the proximity to narcotics.

There are probably more.

There are things I still struggle with. I have to fight against the urge to stay home all the time. When I'm traveling I need some time alone every day with a room to cocoon myself in. Whether that's a guest room or a hotel room, I need that time to myself. I have the tendency to want to stay in my bedroom when I'm home. That's where I use the computer, watch TV, read, write, etc. I try to show my family that I want to know what's going on with them and I encourage them to visit me. And my door is open! We live in a townhouse so everyone is within shouting distance. My husband, son, and I will often want to show each other something or talk about news. We usually do that in my room unless we can talk loudly enough. :)

Is that the type of stuff you wanted to know, FMK?

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

These are all some real good things I can work on as well Amy. I had previously asked if anybody had some suggestions regarding their first year in recovery. I'm in month 6 and just now figuring out Suboxone is not a cure but it does put the addict in remission. Then we can work on us. Thanks For My Kids for having this thread. You have some good stuff here. :D I hope your doing good. Angie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Btw Jennjenn, I got a new haircut as well. Glad you can have your cowtails again. lol You had some real good suggestions as well. Thanks