It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:11 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

wow damn it i just spent three hrs typing out my story to people and just deleted it by trying to edit! what a bitch. ive just got a general question for people who werent fooled by the tapering schedule making things any easier.
im on day 3 of quitting my subs. i relapsed in the middle of my 2nd sub treatment and ended up right back where i left off doing 5-6 80mg ocs a day or sometims 20 roxy 30s a day. but i hit my bottom and damn near lost everything i have very recently so i decided to make a plan and stick with it. my dosage was 2 8mg strips a day but i took half a day for 7 days then just quit ( by the way my first sub treatment i tapered exactly as my doctor told me to and i felt like crap)

im just looking for some words of wisdom to get me thru these next couple days if there is anyone else who has quit recently and can help me. My main question is this: i can deal with the chills aches n pains ( n lol the craps since i used to go so long without it) but i havent slept in 72 hrs and its starting to make me feel like a lunatic. im trying to remember how shitty i felt the first time i got off subs but it was just too long ago, so if somebody could just give me some words of wisdom and explain there feelings coming off i would greatly appreciate it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi newlife13 and welcome. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It sounds like you jumped from a pretty high dose and didn't do a slow taper. Why is that? I don't understand what you mean by "weren't fooled by the tapering schedule making things easier". A low, slow, long taper does in fact make jumping/quitting subs easier. It will reduce both acute and post-acute withdrawals.

That said, you are where you are now and cannot go backwards. (Unless you're willing to go back on it at a low dose and do the low taper now.) There are many threads here under this category from people who have quit that can help you. And I'm sure others will also see your post and chime in.

When it comes to dealing with opiate withdrawal, can you get one of your doctors to prescribe Clonopin? It's a BP medicine that works wonders for opiate withdrawals. Also, and I know you won't want to do it, but exercise will also make you feel much, much better. As will hot baths.

Again, I'm sure others will reply soon. Take care and good luck to you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hatmaker thank you for your response and nice to meet you, but what i mean by being" fooled" by the tapering is because i have done it once before several years ago. Tapered forrrrrrrreeever exactly as doc instructed me to do so, and when i made the jump then it seems as if it was just as hard!!

Day 4 today and i feel a little but better, i actually got a cple hrs of sleep but i know my body is just so damn confused. I made the big jump cuz to me it seemed like now or never. i have friends who have been taking subs for years now and all they do is keep em as a back up plan and have no intention of really quitting, i was not brough up this way and to be dependent on anything is just no longer the answer i a looking for. ive made it this far and i feel like everyday should b getting better, but i would reallly like some input from another poster who has pretty much gone cold turkey to help describe his/her first 1-10 days and there feelings!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I honestly don't know how your doctor told you to taper off, but there does seem to be a "best" way to do it. (Maybe your doctor gave you bad advice.) But like I said, you are where you are now, so let's not focus on what could have been.

Everyone is a bit different when it comes to quitting sub cold turkey. There are some stories here about people quitting at doses about 6 mg and actually not having a bad time at all. Some didn't even miss work. Others were pretty miserable for a couple of weeks. It just goes to show you that we're all different.

I've been on sub for nearly 2.5 years and have no plans to stop anytime soon. I also take other medications for other things and I just look at sub the same way I do my other meds, just like my antidepressant or my beta-blocker, or my high-cholesterol medication. I'm pretty much dependent on those too. I don't worry about needing to get off those either. So it's really how you look at it. That said, I understand why some people want to be off suboxone, and I respect that you feel that way.

Have you tried over-the-counter sleep aids? Have you tried exercise? People really report that it helps w/d symptoms A LOT. Also, hot baths.

I'm sure others will come along and share their experiences with going off sub. Good luck and hang in there. I hope you feel better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:34 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Day 5; completely sub/ opiate free. Haven't don't this since '03, chills still present, aches not so bad. But now I'm just an emotional wreck. Crying one minute n laughing the next. I saw someones quote on here ( sorry forget who it was) but she said " welcome every withdrawl symptom as a sign that my body is starting the healing process"!!! Absolutely wonderful words it has helped me tremendously! I'm still just having trouble realizing that life CAN b fun without n I want to know when that is gonna change because I know deep down that this is just the brainwash that has come from being an addict!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Since this is what it sounds like you really want, I encourage you to hang in there if you can. You seem to be handling it really well! The emotional stuff can suck. Just remember to not give into the feelings, meaning act on them. Don't make any huge decisions or changes. You wouldn't be making them with a clear mind whatsoever. No matter how dark things seem, it's not real.

I wonder too if tapering is worth it. I'm tapering only because I know I couldn't handle the w/d and try functioning at the same time. Tapering is still pretty uncomfortable at times, so there's something to just jumping and getting it all over with if you can. Keep updating. :D

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:43 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you ladder for your words, everything is encouraging at this point. I wish it was as easy to surround myself with people such as yourselves in person, but where I'm from it seems as if everyone is addicted whether they'll admit it or not.I'm not concerned with making bad decisions at this point because my marriage is on the line and I have the most wondeful wife in the world. Hardest thing for me is dealing with my free time when I get off work,nothing seems to have any thrill...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

newlife13 wrote:
Thank you ladder for your words, everything is encouraging at this point. I wish it was as easy to surround myself with people such as yourselves in person, but where I'm from it seems as if everyone is addicted whether they'll admit it or not.I'm not concerned with making bad decisions at this point because my marriage is on the line and I have the most wondeful wife in the world. Hardest thing for me is dealing with my free time when I get off work,nothing seems to have any thrill...

I myself am tapering, but I just wanted to chime in and offer my support! I know it's a tough place where you are right now, but if there is anything you can find to bring you comfort, then I suggest clinging to that while you're going through this. It's hard to say how long this will last for you b/c it is so individual, but just keep in mind there will be a time when it passes. Trying not to think when, and how much longer might help relax your mind. You will obviously experience w/d symptoms, but I also think our minds can add to that alot, so IMO the more positive you can make your thoughts the better for you.
I would also like to offer that excersizing is very helpful with the w/d symptoms. Perhaps if you don't do a regular excersize now, just adding a daily walk would help.

All in all I just want to wish you luck on your journey, and I will say a prayer that you get there as quickly and as comfortably as possible! Definitely hang in there, you will get there one way or another!! Just have to try and focus on the day, and stay positive.

This is a quote that I have kept with me for many, many years, I've had it since my father passed, and it helped me with that, but it came to my head when I was reading your story so I wanted to offer it up to you, in hopes that it will bring you some encouragement.
"We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival." ~Winston Churchill

Good luck my friend, this too shall pass, and you will find your happy ending.
Rain

- Joseph Campbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:38 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Day 6 off subs n things seem to be looking up, still hard to drag myself outta bed but I guess that's just life. I'm starting to realize that getting outta bed just isn't the most exciting thing in the world n it takes some time to get movin. After sooooo many years of using I'm just so programmed to wake up n get high immdiately to avoid that feeling but it doesn't have to b that way. Life is good I guess I just shouldmt expect to feel like a million bucks first thing in the morning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

newlife,

Give it time. Things will come together for you, you're going to have to be patient, OK.

You mentioned earlier that nothing seems to thrill, pop that music in, turn it up to 100 and see if that helps. I know, from reading your other reply on the other thread that you like music. Try to listen to something upbeat. You like the Scorpions....listen to Rock You Like a Hurricane!! You like Metallica....listen to Enter Sandman. You like Nazareth...listen to Hair of the Dog. Those songs ought to put at least a little thrill back into ya. Don't forget to turn it up loud enough where your neighbors can hear it!!!

Hang in there man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:47 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Day 7 w/out subs, cant rememeber the last time i was actually up at 8 am on a Sun morning without having plans!!! I dont wanna jump the gun but man i really feel like i am getting there. I know the last few days the wd have become less n less n seem to come in spurts but i woke up feeling great today and at this point i think i am just gonna need to stay head strong and keep those feelings from overwhelming my mind!!!!! I will keep updating!!