It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First, let me say how happy I was to come across this forum! I've been reading for a few days and what a plethora of information....simply amazing. A quick bit about myself, i've been addicted to opiates for about 8 years now. I started out with Tramadol because they are readily available online and slowly graduated to percs, then to roxi's, methadone and now, realizing I have major issues, subs. At my worst, I was taking 100 mg of Methadone and 240 mg of oxycodone a day, but for the past three years have been solely on 50-60 mg of Methadone daily. All of my use has always been legal and prescribed. I finally had enough about three weeks ago and on the advice of my sister-in-law who is a PA, made an appointment with a Suboxone dr. I had my first appointment on Monday. I had stopped the methadone 3 days prior on my own, so I was withdrawling pretty hard. Here is the issue.....the Dr., although very nice, seemed VERY anti-suboxone. He initially didn't want to prescribe me anything, but after speaking with me for a while and realizing the gravity of my situation, agreed to put me on 8 mg of the suboxone film daily. Catch is, he is only willing to put me on a three month taper. Given my situation, I agreed. Truth is I like most of you, am and always will be an addict. My addiction is not going to be cured in three months. I feel great on the subs....feel like myself again and not nodding off all the time like I was with the Methadone. I am looking for long term treatment because I know for a fact after the three months, I'll be out looking for anything to scratch that itch. My question for you guys is, is this pretty common, or are most sub dr's willing to do long term treatment? If any of you are in the Cedar Rapids/Waterloo/Iowa City area and can recommend a good Dr., that would be ultra appreciated. I just want to live my life! I'm relatively young (mid 30's), have very good paying job that I love, a great wife and three little kiddos. I don't want all this to slip away. Sorry for the length of my post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi EarlyDurban and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you've found it informative.

I don't know that I'd say MOST doctors are willing to prescribe suboxone long term, but there are many that will. It sounds like your best bet is to find a new doctor in the next three months, one that will treat you according to YOUR needs, not some one-size-fits-all approach. That just never works and it still amazes me how any well-educated doctor doesn't seem to see that.

Anyway, I digress....

At the top of every page on the forum is a link ("Find Suboxone Doctors") which will take you to suboxone-directory.com which is a sub doctor locator. There are also a few others, such as naabt.org and suboxone.com. (There is also one at samhsa.gov, but that particular link isn't working anymore, but you can likely find it by going through their main site.)

I hope you find a new doctor that satisfies you. Oh and there's a section on the forum called "Taking New Patients". It's where we post if we're looking for a doctor or are recommending one (by location). That's the best place for you to post a new thread asking for any doctor names in your area.

Let us know how it turns out. And again, welcome. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: A MESSAGE FROM SLIPPER
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi early,
and welcome. I , like you would be right back out there without my subutex. I have been on it for almost 2 years now and
I am nowhere near ready to get off. Thank God, my Dr. agrees. I too think you should be looking for another doctor
as soon as possible. This is just my opinion, but I would think Drs. would want you to stay on the sub. for a while
because of the money they are making off of you, and two....because of the high relapse rate of people who get off
the sub too soon. I had a 29 year addiction to hydros and methadone and even though i am sober and don't even
think of drugs anymore, i still have that addict behavior...a lot of things to work on before i get off the drug.
Sincerely,
Slipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome to the forum Durban!

I agree with Hat and Slipper... I think there are a lot of docs out there willing to prescribe long-term, you just need to find another dr. and thankfully you have some time to do that while your dr now is prescribing. Just look around, use the search options here on the forum or google sub docs in your area. I was actually reffered to my doc by an aquaintance, someone I used to buy my pills from that started going to him.

My doc is pretty great, he realizes that I am an addict and I am going to need to be on longer or I'll be right back to abusing pain pills. Your drug use was even bigger than mine, but my doc was still all for treating me for at least a year, maybe two. I wouldn't think you'd have too big a problem finding a dr that will keep you on longer than 3 months. 3 months just wouldn't be enough for me to work on the mental changes I need to make before I can become completely sober and live a completely sober life.

All the best of luck to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys (and gals?), thanks for the replies! I'll try the search feature and start a new thread in the other area you mentioned to see if another member could maybe refer me a different doc in my neck of the woods. Glad to hear that this doc's treatment recommendation isn't typical. He mentioned several times that he was tired of patients calling in claiming that their sub script was "lost or stolen". He made it a point to tell me that if I call in early looking for refills id be dropped as a patient. None of that pertains to me, as I would never try anything like that. Looking back, maybe this doc just has a bad group of patients.....idk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey,,,,,,,,, Good job,,, getting in to see this one!!!!

I agree with the advice you've already been givin,,,,,,,,, I was just gonna say, use these couple months to find a GOOD doctor, LOL
or one YOU are on the same page with anyways.

I was really lucky, the doctor I see actually totally agrees with maintenance. He sorta thinks anybody that can "taper'' suboxone in the first year or so, could probably taper pain pills. Go, figure, right???? LOL

anyways, this link here, seems to be the ticket for most people. cuz you can expand your search and stuff. I know hat already gave it to you,,,,, Im just saying, this is the one most people tell me they have to most luck with. GOOD LUCK

https://www.suboxone.com/patients/opioi ... octor.aspx

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/