It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to Suboxone Today
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Today I'm looking to getting my life back after oxycontin stole it for over a year and a half. I'm 22 year old male from Canada, and I found the one and only doctor in my city of 200,000 who prescribes suboxone and I'm set to start today at 1PM EST. Thing is, I last used yesterday around 1-3PM EST. My doctor wanted me withdrawling and off opiates for 2 days before starting, this will be only slightly over 24hours. I don't want to tell my doc I used yesterday, as the call to come in and start was unexpected and I don't want to turn down this opportunity. I guess my question is, with a daily intake of around 80-120MG of OC's each day, will I get sick having waited only slightly over 24 hours before starting suboxone. If anyone can answer this before I have to leave that would be awesome. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

In order to avoid precipitated withdrawals (which I hear are hellish) at induction it's more a matter of the state of your withdrawals than the time since your last oxy. In other words, you want to make sure you're in mild to moderate withdrawals when you start suboxone. Here's a link to the Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale (COWS) that can help you gauge the state of withdrawal that you're in. http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

I know you don't want to miss your scheduled induction, but that might be preferable to going into precipitated withdrawals! Your doctor may use the COWS to ascertain if you're ready for your induction, too, so hopefully you will be OK. Is he going to induce you in the office with medication he'll administer or will you have to go to the pharmacy to pick it up yourself? Doctors do things differently and for some people they're at their induction for at least a couple of hours, some more. It just depends on how your new sub doc does things.

Congratulations on starting your recovery! Please let us know how your induction goes. And again, welcome...we're glad you're here and hope you stick around and post often.

Hat

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.