It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I am new to this board and to Suboxone. Glad I found this treatment and this site. I was in a hit and run motorcycle accident in October 2011, my left leg took a direct hit from the car's bumper. I won't get into details but I broke my leg in several places and lucky to still have it. I am 55 y/o male and never had much of a pill habit before. I was more of a drinker. Well after 5 surgery's and almost 2 years on 50-60mg percocet a day I could not stop. My ortho doc cut me off and is no longer at the free clinic I was going to. He gave me a small script and just said to taper in 5 days and I would be fine. Well I was not fine. I sunk into a deep, deep depression and cut myself off from the world. I was unemployed at the time of the accident and had no health insurance, my girlfriend left me and I sat around watching my world crumble around me and all I wanted was more pills, whatever it took to get them I did. I was back on my feet walking around the end of April so I started to look for work. Then it hit....I could not do anything without the pills and I spent all my time and money (what little I had) seeking more pills. Here I am stuck, depressed, unemployed and alone. I did habe a pdoc who was giving me every antidepressant on the market and they just made my depression and anxity worse, I quit drinking, still depressed and can't work. My leg still hurts and I'm hooked on any pain pill I could get my hands on. I came clean with my pdoc and she gave me script for Subs and another AD. Well I am now on day 4 of subs&AD and feel like the dark cloud is lifting. I feel almost human again after almost 2 years. I feel there is hope now. I know I am in the starting up phase, but I feel I am adjusting well to the new meds. I really thought there was no hope for me. I feel I will be able to seek employment and move on with my life. I just want my life back. Glad I found this site and subs. I am following my doctors orders and hope I will continue to feel better. BTW I was put on 4mg twice a day.

Post subject: Re: New to Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can someone comment on my starting dose. I have been reading through the site and feel I may be on to high of a dose. I was doing 40-50mg oxy. Can I try the 4mg only 1 time a day? I also read that dosing 1 time a day is better as not to run to take a dose out of habit. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:38 pm 

I think your dose is very reasonable and as long as it's working for you I'd stick with it. After about a week, you might try to dose once a day at 8mg. If you end up feeling like that's too much for after a few weeks, go ahead and taper down a bit. Sometimes it takes some trial and error to find the right dose for yourself. At first, though, you should focus on taking enough sub to fill up your opiate receptors.

I'm so happy for you that your depression is lifting and you are feeling hope again! Sub can be an amazing game changer for people. It definitely helped me turn my life around. :)

Welcome to the forum! I hope you decide to stick around!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your input. I will stick with the dose my doctor gave me and see how it goes. I have also found great pain relief so far. Better than when I was taking the pills. How long is the induction time for someone like me. I know I feel better overall but a little spacy in the afternoon, nothing really bad and much better than I felt before, I was lost in space all day. So 4mg twice a day is good. Just afraid of taking to much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Amy. As long as you're not having adverse reactions, you're at a reasonable dose right now. The most important thing to do now is just stabilize and get used to this new way of living, without all the hardships of active addiction. It's worth trying one daily dose, I always think that is the best way to do it, if it works for someone.

It's awesome to hear that you're feeling better already!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I had some adverse reactions creep up on me, chain smoking, speedy feeling, nothing terrible but something I would like to get some input on. I cut back over the weekend to 4mg on Saturday and Sunday, 2mg twice a day, I know due to the 1/2 life I will not feel the difference for a day or 2. I am worried of getting in to deep cause this is my last hope to get my life back. This morning I did 2mg and feel a bit better(no speedy feeling). I am afraid of taking more than I need and I know we are all different to how we react to subs. I will call my doctoer today, but she always says to go with how I feel. On the good side, no w/d at all since I have started. I had it timed out to the day so I have no more pain meds to even think about, in fact I got a call over the weekend asking if I need some, for the 1st time I said no " I'm good".

In my 1st post I went over my story of how I got here, It's been a long road and luck to still be alive. I am not working and living off a small insurance settlement but that is running out, and yes I was buying pills at street price just to feel semi-normal...crazy. I had to take pills to go on an interview but never though what I would do if I got the job and could not find pills.....like I could start a new job in w/d.

My stress, anxiety and deep depression has left me unemployable unless I have pills to fall back on, My goal is to maintain the lowest dose to break my habit, help with pain and GET A JOB without having to rely on pain meds. Well I have an interview today and will do my best. Please any advice on proper dose and how many days before dropping do you stay at my current dose. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It sounds like you have a responsible and reasonable doctor. Her starting dose seemed tailored to you and conservative. There are many people who are put on much higher doses in the beginning and up wasting med AND $$.

Your story about someone offering you pain pills sounds very familiar. I had it happen the exact day I had my induction. It shocked the hell out of me to see the pills but have NO EFFCT on me whatsoever. Just like you, I literally said, "No. I'm good!" I've been "good" ever since.

You're going to get this! Hang in there and keep reading Dr. J's stuff. I'm new here too but I've learned a LOT since discovering this forum and the blog.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bassplayer,

I agree with the advice you have gotten so far. IMO 8mg is a good starting dose. If you are having that spacy/speedy feeling it will usually go away after a week or so at a steady dose. But, if you feel more comfortable at 4mg a day and don't have any WD or cravings, then I would say go with that.

Suboxone treatment is highly individualized, and what works for one may not work for another. But, it's best at first to get settled on a dose and stick with it for at least a few weeks to allow your body to normalize. All of those symptoms you mentioned will go away as you adjust to whatever dose you choose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

How did the interview go? I am so happy you are feeling better. I am brand new to sub & trying to find my way.

I hope the interview went well & you are feeling well. I also find the sub covers my pain. It is really very strong.

Hope you update us

Tiki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ya it does feel good to not have those cravings for pain pills. While on Suboxone, I could be right next to a bottle of pain meds and not think anything of it where as in the past, i would of grab some for myself. Also, it feels wonderful to tell that person on the other end of the phone that you NO LONGER NEED THEIR SERVICES ANYMORE.

I love having control now of myself and I escaped the up and down emotions of having pills, then not having them.

I really hope your interview went well yesterday. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I know that when I started taking Subs, I wanted to smoke too...I think its the partial agonist. Where I wanted to smoke alot when I was on pain meds so I think the subs do the same thing. I think.

After time, that feeling went away so I hope it does the same for you... if you still have that side effect.

Good Luck with the Job hunting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for the support. I look back 2 weeks ago and all I wanted to do was find enough pills to get me through, I am so glad I had that talk with my doctor. I am happy to report I got the job and start on Thursday. I was a mess and really could not work. Here I am now feeling almost human again and starting a new job after over 2 years without work. I really thought there was no hope for me. I know I have alot of work to do but I feel I have another chance at life. I have stayed at 2mg twice a day and feel stable, my doctor is cool with that and happy we found a way to pull me out of the depression and battle with my addication. So happy to be alive again, what a difference. I will keep posting as I start my job and how my dose is working out. Thanks again for the support here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great news Bassplayer!!!!!

I always love reading the stories of the new members who are just starting treatment. It brings me right back to those first few days of MY treatment. The wonderful, hopeful feeling...the amazement at how great this drug works after wondering and worrying for so long that it wouldn't. And above all, the way that it takes you from feeling down and out, and hopeless to feeling normal and seeing good progress in your life for the first time in years.

LOVE IT!

Good luck on your new job, and your new life!

Q