It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial] [/font] Hello everyone, My name is Ken and I'm from Al and I am about 2 mts. into taking these subs. The reason for taking these subs is because most other stuff doesn't work well for chronic pain and I take the other stuff way to often and way to much . I stayed clean around 9 yrs and then had to go to ultram then straight to subs. I don't go to 12 steep meetings while on subs because of the hassle of taking something to change my mood. I used to be the one to point a finger at someone that said they where in Recovery while taking meds that's changes the way they feel. SO I'm wearing the shoes now. LOL I'm thankful for yall for allowing me to share. I don't have anyone anymore to share with because I'm taking the films that's is in recovery. If anyone as had experience with just taking subs on how to dose and where is a good spot to put them in the mouth i'm all ears. I waste more than I should because I have no prior experience with subs. So please fell free to join in and I'm thankful for you if you do. K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Kenny,

Welcome to our little support group. I understand your point on the 12 step groups while taking subs...it does tend to be a touchy subject and I personally didn't find it a good fit for me while taking them either. I am currently tapering and plan to go back to NA/AA after I am completely off.

As for the how to take the films question...I guess it depends on what your dose is. I have always found it difficult to dissolve a full strip under my tongue without feeling as if I was losing some of it. I personally would take no more than 3/4 or 1/2 a strip at a time and then after about 30 minutes I would dissolve the other part of the strip. I was never prescribed more than 8mg at a time though so it worked for me. If you are taking more than 8mg it might be to much trouble to dose multiple times...I guess you will eventually find what works for you. Don't worry, I agree there is a bit of a learning curve when you first start taking them. It gets easier once you get into your routine. There are some good posts on this board about this issue and you can find alot of good information here if you take a little time to search it out. Or maybe one of our wonderful moderators can post a link here for you?

I am glad that you took the time to start your own thread here, I read your response on someone else's post yesterday and I was hoping you would take Rule's suggestion to introduce yourself. Please know that you are VERY welcome here...don't worry about any little typo's you might have. Nobody here is going to be bothered by it at all. Besides, I thing you are doing great!

Let us know if you have any other questions and I'm positive someone will be able to help you.

P.S. - Roll Tide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kenny,

Welcome to the forum!!

Qhorse answered most of your questions, but I just wanted to add that Suboxone is absorbed through any mucus membrane, not just the ones under your tongue. Dr. J. has gone so far to advise people to spread the dissolved film/pill all around the inside of their mouth for better absorption.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Film Dosing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:12 am 

Hi Ken, and hearty Welcome to the forum. Glad you took my suggestion and started your own thread. Things have been a little quiet around here lately so if you don't receive too many responses back that is why. Must be the holiday I guess.

I've heard that a person only absorbs 30% of the Buprenorphine in Suboxone with the films. What the pills were I can't remember. Don't worry so much about how much you are getting out of it, just take what you need and that's that. That's assuming you and your doctor are in agreement about your dose. My Dr. won't let me go up in dose unless I have a good reason. That's fair and I can live with it.

How is your pain now and does the Sub seem to help?

Post away Ken and I hope you start to feel at home here quickly.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First of all I want to say is a HUGE Thank You to qhorsegal2, Remo, rule62. I am losing up at bit now thanks to you gals and guys. I was thinking that I was along when it comes to Suboxone. I suggesting here but when people say dissolve or dissolving that it means absorbing?

I went from the 8mg ( 3 x's a day) to 12 mg( 3 x's a day) in or around 60 days. When I first starting dosing I didn't get much relief and I was wondering why I even went this route. Sense this Doc moved my dosage to the 12mg ( 3 x's a day) I feel much better without feeling any with-drawl and about 90 % pain free. I thought I should never went over one *mg strip a day because I have never use it before and my Doc said I was misinformed and not to listen to anyone else. Well he may have been right after all you know. However He hasn't given me much else advice on when to take it or when not to or how much at one time. So am still on the trail and error phase. At least now the 12mg is much better and I have you guys to help me now. Phew, I so need to share this info because I had so many question and he wasn't willing to answer them.
To rule 62 - I'm in much less pain now than I have been in the last year and 3 mounts. I'm 43 now and I was 22 when I fell over 2 stories high when I became disabled. I have been in a pain clinic one time for around 6 yrs. and was put on Methadone the whole time and almost died when I was at 100mg dose . That's was dosing all the 100mg at one time. I weighed 148 lbs. ( I am 6' #" tall as well) when I showed up in a treatment place and stayed drug and achool free from 8.04.04 until I started taking the subs in February.

Well I a sorry for talking so much. I haven't had anyone to share with in around a year or so.

Ok, thanks again for all your help and qhorsegal2 I will try again to cut the 12mg strip up in a manner that's nessary for it to dislove and not to get all over my teeth.

Remo I will look to see what you have talked about as well. ( concering DR. J absorbeing information.
Thanks and I will pass.lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you taking 12mgs total, split up over three doses, or do you take a total of 36mg each day?

Dissolve- When the strip dissolves, it turns from a solid into a liquid by infusing with your saliva, that is when you're able to absorb it. I always did the old fashioned way and stuck the thing under my tongue until I couldn't possibly handle it anymore. Then I swallowed. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tinydancer wrote:
Are you taking 12mgs total, split up over three doses, or do you take a total of 36mg each day?

Dissolve- When the strip dissolves, it turns from a solid into a liquid by infusing with your saliva, that is when you're able to absorb it. I always did the old fashioned way and stuck the thing under my tongue until I couldn't possibly handle it anymore. Then I swallowed. :oops:

Thank you Tinydancer for responding.
I take 12mg ( three (3) times a day.

I usually cut one 12mg strip in to thirds and take two of them then wait an hour and take the other third of the strip. Usually under the tounge is where my doc said to put them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, I see...

So you are kind of dosing 6 times a day? I am not as familiar with sub maintenance for pain, but I think you got an awful lot of sub in your system. Maybe that is what's needed.. I dunno? Hopefully some others who are on for actual pain/ injuries can weigh in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Tinydancer for sharing and caring the first subs I used was in a Doctor’s office and 4 mg then an hour later 4mg again. So 8 mg twice a day was great. Then with in the month it started going down and down. That doctor only writes 16mg for all of his clients, No matter what. Period!!! So moved me to a different Doctor and she did the routine stuff and then said did he would go to 24 mg a day. Then after the first full month I was still have all the same stuff going on with withdrawals. I asked to get off that day and he said well try the 12mg (3) times a day that 36 total. I did that and wow what a difference. I have no jerking in my arms and legs, my pain level says in the range of a 8 (you know on a (1-10 scale)) and that's the best I have felt in 5 years or so.

I hope this feeling good stays 4 ever but I'm sure it doesn’t. Nothing ever does when it a pill or now a sub. My insurance only cover 2 out of the 3 is subscribe for me, so I may be having to go back to just 24mg.

I will do whatever it takes to have a better quality of life for me and my children that I got custody of 3 yrs. ago. Men in this state don’t get their children back usually. I have come from a very bad place to graduating college in the Engineering field and have just a little money in the bank now. So Tiny If I need to ask my Doc about this, I probably want unless something is going on that is not healthy. I say that with a little bit of humility because this to can very quickly get out of hand. However, I like it when I can be a DAD that takes his children to and from school with clean clothes on and lunch money and snack money with them every day. Go to Wal-Mart and does the house hold shopping while they are in school. Supper cooked when it hits 5 or 6 o'clock and then homework, then bedtime and then REPETE.
This many sounds silly to some but it is a blessing from God, I couldn't walk over 4 steps just 9 weeks ago. So thankful I can now. Thanks again for letting me share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kenny,

That doesn't sound silly. I think we can all relate on some level to what's like to finally get our stuff together and show up for the people in our lives. It's an incredible feeling! If this dose is working for you, by all means, stick to what works! I don't blame you one bit. I'm just the tiniest bit concerned if you keep having to up your dose. The way suboxone works, it doesn't benefit you to increase your dose after a certain point. So just watch for that.. hopefully though, you've found your magic number and you will have some continued and consistent relief. Please let us know how suboxone is working for you.

Good for you for showing up for your kids like that, not everyone would do that or is cut out for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank You tinydance for the positive comment. It too 5 years clean before I even tried to get custody and the both of my children wanted to come. Daughter 19 now and son (which lives with me now) is 13.

I would have to take anything if I layed up in bed and did that for awhile. Quality of life is horriable and that shitty committee in my head was a battle I couldn't win without my higher powers Help. I'm new to recovery but new to subs you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kenny,

I'm glad to hear Suboxone is working for you, that's great!!!

I was wondering if you knew your avatar is Ville Valo, from the rock group H.I.M.? If you like Rock at all, you might like this song by them, it's called Wings of a Butterfly. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUUSz54G6jc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo that's a little bit awesome music there. I had no idea who this cat is. I like it even more, than for the share. Also I have been reading much about this Suboxone and I think that I need to stay somewhat away from all the chatting about the withdrawal topics. I'm using this med for Pain Magement and really nothing else. I still want to drink , however if I do what I have been thought to do. I will not do it. I also do this very same method for other pain meds. ( I should say for the 9 years that I was 100 % clean and sober ( from 08/04---02/---2013)).I going to start a new thread and see about what others think about using Suboxone for pain management. If you think I should just do it here Please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kenny,

Yeah, Ville is an interesting cat. Their music isn't for everyone, but I've come to like several of their songs.

About starting a new thread regarding Suboxone for pain management, that's what I would do......and it's free!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You'll find that lots of folks here take suboxone for pain management.

You'll also find that most agree that it isn't very good for pain management.

If you take it in very minute doses. Then maybe it would work a little better.

But I suggest posting on an older thread or reading older threads about pain and suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Romeo & MM1. I am reading through some older post first. I while I was waiting on an response, many different people doing different things for cravings. I've decided to stick to the 24 to 36 mg a day and take it every 6-8 hrs. I was getting much confused when reading all the different post on cravings. Anyway MM! what does "If you take it in very minute doses. Then maybe it would work a little better mean. The first sentence is really where I lost you. Remo if I cannot find the info need I will start a new thread. Thaznks many things over for your responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the group! Suboxone is not all that great for pain management. But..if it works for you, stick to it.

Methadone is better with pain than Suboxone. Just my opinion. But I read that you have already gone that route and it didn;t work out for you.
I loved reading about how you take care of your kids. I too, take care of my twin boys. They mean the world to me. Glad you are here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Raudy1975 thanks very much for responding. Man o man I just don't understans why folks these days don't want to take and raise their kidos. Well I will not judge them but they help me to learn a lesson, this is what no to do.