It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New on Suboxone
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all!
My name is Robert. I am new to Suboxone and I have just taken my first does today at 3:00 pm. Fortunately, I have been prescribed the strips, Amazing! Just within the first hour after taking 6mg I feel great.
I was on oxycodone 30's and Oxycontin 60's for well over 2 years for lower back pain. Well just when I decided to go the safe route and start a tapper program w/my Dr. to get off the pain pills, he gets his license to practice medicine taken away. Not "suspended", straight out yanked for over-prescribing to too many people.
Funny thing is, I knew this was going to happen- hence me starting the tapper, but it came out of no-where and left all his patients "cold turkey". No referrals, no refills, nothing! The receptionist could only say that the Dr. was out of practice and he was sorry for any inconvenience. Oh, and "have a nice day".
So that was my story. Never snorted it, never injected it, never smoked it, every pill I had I swallowed. And Now I am an addict! And I know I am, and it took me a long time to call myself that, but when you realize you are taking medication for pain, and the pain isn't there and you pop that pill, or pills, anyway----- you have a problem. And I realized it quick, well when I ran out of my prescription. Never experienced wd's before like that! Went from 200+ mg of opiate to 0! In a flash! SUCKS!
Thank the Lord above for Casa Suidad in Albuquerque, NM. Took me a month to get into their program and I said many a prayer they would answer, they only take in 10 new patients a month and we had to call between 11am and 2pm on Mondays. 3 weeks on the wait list, then last Monday I said a Hail Mary, dialed the #, seriously I wasn't going to call back, and the first ring someone answered and I was on the list for their Suboxone program! Seriously a gift from God!
So I am sorry for the rambling, its just I need a vent, an outlet, to express my feelings, and believe it or not I feel like a weight is lifted every time I post something whether it be on Facebook-Tweet-anything. And now- I just want to be normal again!!! I feel pretty normal now! For once.

If anyone wants, please send me any info on their journey, their experiences w/Sub, or just helpful advice, I'd love to hear it! God bless you all that respond, awww heck God Bless everyone for that matter. I feel great!

RMM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi RMAD and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're doing well on your new suboxone treatment. Amazing isn't it how quickly you feel better? Personally, I've been on suboxone for about 2.5 years. I also take it for chronic pain so I will probably be on it for a good while. But I can easily say it changed my life, if not saved it. It hasn't fixed my life, but it sure put me in a position to be able to address all of my shit. And that's something I never could have done before. Good luck to you and again, welcome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, RMM, that sounds rough. So you went cold turkey off of 200mg of oxy and had to wait a MONTH to get on Sub? Jeez, if you had any notice at all you could have stretched your pills out for a while. What a nightmare. Good for you admitting that you were addicted, and I'm glad you were able to get on Sub. This is a great forum for information and support, so keep posting!
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello again all. Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know there are
others out there you don't know that are looking out for you!
So thanks a bunch!
Well I am on day 3 on my subs! I don't know if I am taking them the right way
but I know I am not popping 10 oxy 30's a day waking up feeling like
crap! I am still not getting the best of sleep, but I am not feeling
The craving to go out and find a pill. Like I said, I don't know if I am
taking the subs right, my dr suggested I take 2 films a day totaling
16 mg, but I have been taking a little less than one and a half a day.
Been having some weird experiences on them too! Maybe it is just the
New medication I have introduced to my body, but it seems to irritate
my stomach like crazy! And my right side feels like a balloon is
inflated in me. Maybe I should go to my dr and see if this is just my
Anxiety, but the worst is not sleeping. I go nights staring at the clock
Watching each minute go by. The good thing is I feel no ill effects of withdrawls.

So

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't get to finish my last post. Sorry guys I am a rammbler
When it comes down to talking about things like this.
But like I said I feel no wd's at all!
I never thought it would be possible to go a day without my
Pills. Now I know there is a way.
Next Tuesday I am going to attend my first AA/NA meeting and see if
A group setting is the right thing for me right now. I am still trying to
Understand the mind of an addict like mine. And I don't know how I wil
Respond to others and opening up to members of my community about my addiction.
To top it off they are all members of my church so talk about weird!
Well thanks again for the replies. I'll try to keep posting about my status, and about the
miracle of suboxone!

RMM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rmad,

Welcome to the forum!!

First, I wanna just throw this out there for you, it might not be the best thing in the world to mention to the folks in AA/NA that you're taking Suboxone. At the very least, you will not be able to share (speak) in the meetings, at the worst.....most of them will shun you like you had the plague. After you hit a few meetings, you might start talking to a member or two after the meetings about their thoughts on Suboxone to get a feel for the crowd, then you can decide if you're going to tell anyone or not. I'm not trying to put you off of AA/NA meetings, I've been going to NA meetings for almost two months now, I enjoy the meetings and I'm learning a lot, I'm sure you will too.

I have to second Lilly, that's awful going from 200mg of Oxy's to zero, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I detoxed off of Oxycontin for about a week once and I did everything I could to try and crawl out of my skin. I remember I had RLS[sup]2[/sup], actually it was my legs AND my arms going nutty!!

I'm glad you got into the clinic and are on Suboxone. Suboxone, used correctly, is an amazing medicine.

So, has your sleep improved any yet??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Romeo,

Thanks for the advise on what to expect from the NA meetings.
I honestly don't know what to expect. Especially because it is a
Church sponsored meeting. I am afraid I will run into someone I know
well and not know what to say or react. I guess that is my worst fear now.
Seeing that I finally got over the hump of not realizing I was an addict
and that it was effecting my entire livelihood. So I guess running into
an old friend is a pretty good place to start fear-wise right?
To be completely honest I am afraid of what these people will think of me
after the meetings. In church, or groups I may attend after I attend NA.
I really shouldn't care about that right? NA/AA meetings are supposed to be
confidential right? Not here in my town! It is not a po-dunked city,
it is relatively big, bu the area I live in is small and everyone knows everyone
and I just worry about my family name being tarnished and my kids being teased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you considered finding a meeting a bit farther outside of your town? That might make you feel a bit more comfortable at first. Just a thought. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Continued form last post.

My family means the world to me. I have 2 little girls that are my world, and I can't bare the thought of them being teased that their father is a pill head,
pill popper and is worth absolutely zero financially. That is how I see myself and it is true right now! I am worth nothing! I owe more than I am worth! I have a life policy
For 250k if I die, and that will cover just about all my debt right now if I were to come to see the creator. I would leave my wife and kid in
debt too if I were to die. Anyways, as you can see I tend to ramble on about the things I can not control. And that is going to be another part of my life I am going to
Try and rehab during my time recovering. The mental issues that come with the pills. The depression, sexlessness. If that is a word.
But I think the worst of it all is the anxiety. Man, I have never been so uptight and wound up in all my life like I am when I am on pills.
Worrying about everything! It's got to stop! That will be the end of things if I don't recover! Anxiety kills!
And as for the sleepless nights? They are still here! I am on day 4 of the suboxone. And as for the wd's- none. Anxiety-some. Insomnia -ALOT!
time will tell. I am not seeing a short recovery in my future. Suboxone will be with me for a while. No plans on stopping something that works right?
Got to go. Getting late! Thanks for the reply Romeo. Hope to keep in touch!

RMAD9812

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rmad,

Hatmaker brings up a good point, you may want to try a meeting "on the other side of town." I do not go to the meetings in my town, I drive about 45 minutes to the "big city" to hit my meetings. Although anonymity is a big part of NA, what's said in the meetings does NOT always stay in the meetings.

So, the sleeplessness, when you lie down to go to sleep does your brain seem to kick into high gear and you end up reviewing everything you did that day? Do you worry about things you really don't have too much control over? I guess I'm asking if it's the anxiety that's keeping you awake? Another thing it could be is the timing of your Suboxone dose, do you take any Suboxone after 4pm?? If so, you're gonna want to push your last dose of Suboxone ahead to 4pm or so. Many of us have experienced some initial sleeplessness with Suboxone and pushing that last dose ahead seems to have worked for many of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo,

Hey. Thanks for all the replies. As for the sleepnessness, well Like I said, I dont know if I am taking the sub correctly. I am on 12 mg a day right now. That is roughly 1 1/2 films a day. I take the strips that disolve under the tounge in like 2-3 minutes. Well I take it @ 7 when I get up, noon, then if I need any after work it is right before I go to bed. I never thought it was the med 's that kept me up. When I was using, I would take it before bed too and it got me to sleep. Maybe not Suboxone huh? Like last night my last does was @ 11 pm. And I slept fine.
I think last week my body was just getting used to the new medication. I just cant wait until this drossy feeling goes away and I hit the ceiling effect with this Suboxone. I don't like the "high" feeling I get when I take it. It reminds me of when I was taking pills. And to be honest w/you, that is the only feeling I get on this. I don't have any cravings for the pills, or want to get them. I had a guy call me w/a script of oxy's for cheap, and I flat out said no! It was a good feeling knowing I didnt want to grab a fistfull of pills to make me feel good anymore!
Now I am reading about the wd's from the sub's and getting worried. If I tapper off like my Dr wants me to I will be off all narc's by Christmas. That is my goal.But for now I have no intentions of getting off the suboxone anytime soon. Like I said before, if its working, stay w/it right?
As for the meetings, I think I am over running into someone I know. I think if I do, they are probably wanting the same thing I want. Not to be outed as a NA member. But if it comes out, and if people treat me different, that is their problem and they can worry about it. But for now, tonight is my first meeting and I am a little nervous, but I'll be ok. I have faith in my church.
Another good thing is the suboxone is helping me w/the nicotine cravings too. I dip, so the thought of puttind pouches in my mouth makes me sick to my stomach. And when I do I do get sick. So that's good too!

So I'll see how it goes tonight. but for now I am feeling great. Still got a little bit of cloudyness, some constpation from the medication, but not hardly as much as last week in the beginning stage. I wake up feeling great, my day seems to go a lot faster now that I am not thinking of where I am going to get my next fix of pills. But the waking up feeling good is the best! I look forward to the next day now, and not counting the minutes before I have to get up to face a day at work, where I still hate to go, but who likes working for the man anyways?

Enough rambling, have a great day Romeo, and thanks again for resopnding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd love to hear back on how your first meeting went. I lucked out and 4 young ladies sat with me the first night, they noticed how nervous I was and they started talking to me, before you know it, we were all laughing and having a good time. They helped guide me through my first meeting and made it fun. Anyway, it would be great to hear how your first meeting goes.

I'm glad your sleeplessness has improved, it usually does take many of us a few days to stabilize on Suboxone.

I'm curious, does your doctor have you dosing three times per day on Suboxone??

I'm gonna give you some of my thoughts, you most certainly don't have to abide by them, just my thoughts for you, OK? At some point, because of your fear of wd from Suboxone and because this is now generally accepted as a best practice, I'm gonna encourage you to get to once per day dosing.....please discuss with your doctor first though. Next, as you get "used to" your Suboxone, try decreasing to the lowest possible dose that conquers your cravings. It's my opinion that the lower you get now, the easier a time you'll have coming off of Suboxone. Make sure you protect yourself and stay on a high enough dose of Suboxone to keep those cravings firmly at bay though!! You don't have to do any of this in the next week or even two weeks for that matter, whenever you think you're ready, give it a shot. Oh Yeah, if and when you're able to drop your dose, build up some "back stock" of Suboxone for emergencies.

I hope you don't feel like I'm rushing you to get off of Suboxone, that is NOT my intention. Suboxone gives us time to "get our shit straight". For some of us, that's a long time, for others, it's not that long......you're length of stay on Suboxone should be up to you and your doctor.

Lastly, which really I should have put this first, but I wanted you to remember this real good, so I put it last (I explain myself too much sometimes, eh?? LOL!!). HOLY SHIT BUD, YOU TURNED DOWN SOME OXY'S!!!! OMGosh, you ROCK!!! I am WAY proud of you!!!!

Post subject: 7-6-11
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo,

Just wrot a long post and I think it got erased!

Anyway heres a recap of it,

Missed the NA meeting due to the wife having strep.
My dr has me on 12 mg a day up to 16 mg all I guess up to what I can handle. I am taking the strips so I cut mine into 4 strips and take them 3-4 times a day. Is that wrong? I feel like shit when I take more than 6 mg at a time.

Yep! turned down the Oxy's. Wasnt hard, just dont have the want to do them anymore. I like waking up eager to attack the day! Getting a long w/the wife and spending time w/my girls means way to much to go back to the pills. I am loving Suboxone.

Been nodding a lot today. Is this normal? Feel like I can pass out at any time. Maybe its the heat 100+ here in NM today. Or I might be getting sick like the wife. I dont know.

I am for sure going to tapper off. But not soon. I think I will be on Sub's until Christmas. Thats my goal. When I get to 2mg and steady I think that will be a good time to quit. But for now, itst not time. Why quit something that works.

I am just worried about getting home. The nodding off today has me worried. And the anxiety comes w/worry. And the Xanax comes w/it too. But if I can say no to Oxy, then xanax will be no problem too. I still have a bottle at home in my bathroom drawer and I havent touch them. Havent had an anxiety attack in a couple of weeks, since I got off the codone. So other than the nodding today, I feel great. Alittle water logged, but great otherwise.

Well I will try again next week to hit the NA meeting. I really want to go! I'll let you know how that goes fo sho!

Well its quitting time. WOrk that is. I'll ttyl.

Rmad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rmad, just a quick post. It sounds like you are on way too high od a dose, esp. if you are nodding. If anything over 6mg makes you feel unwell, I would try taking 6mg and not dosing for the rest of the day. (Sub is meant for once a day dosing).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly summed it up pretty good, if taking more than 6mg at once makes you feel crappy, then 12mg to 16mg per day is probably too much. Suboxone has a very long half life, it stays in your system for a day and a half basically. Eventually, you should be able to get to once per day dosing because of the long half life of Suboxone. You've been on Suboxone for a little over a week now, you should be pretty close, if not all the way, to being stabilized and having sufficient quantities built up in your system to start working your way to once per day dosing.

The multiple times per day dosing is widely viewed as being addictive behavior, that's a big reason why we usually encourage once per day dosing.

As far as I can tell, the nodding is probably because of the high dose of Suboxone your on.

Whatever you do regarding your dose, just remember not to rush it. If your gonna try dosing fewer times per day, cut one of your dosing times out, stabilize there and make sure everything is good before you go further.

BTW, strep SUCKS!!!

Post subject: Dosing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lilly, Romeo

Thanks for the advise guys. Like I said myDr. didn't tell me how to take it, just to stay on 12 mg a day. I didn't think it would matter if I did it once or 3 times a day as long as I kept it at 12 mg and nothing higher. I am on my last dose of my first script. Next script I will do twice a day and keep it at that. I for sure don't want to fall into the "addictive behavior" catagory since that is what got me here in the first place.

6 mg just makes me feel real doped up at first, then about an hour later I hit another feeling like I am "high" and I just dont want to feel that way. Maybe my next script I will go to 8 mg a day. I tried that yesterday and it seemed to work fine.

I thought the nodding was because I was not taking enough. Well that's the novice in me w/this Suboxone. The Dr said the first week would be a trial and error week. Now I know how much is enough and how much is to little and all the sensations that come with the drug. Thanks again guys for all the advise. Romeo I will let you know how the meeting goes next week and Lilly, thanks for enlightening me on nodding. Could have made a huge mistake on my dosing and fallen victem to becoming an addict of suboxone rather than a recovering addict from pills. So for that I am thankfull.

Hope you all have a great day. Oh, one more question. Like I said I am on my last dose and I don't know when I am going to be able to get back to the clinic for a new script. How long should I, or can I, wait until I go into wd from the Sub's? And to be honest I dont even have the $ for the new script until the 15th of this month. What do you guys think?

Anyways, have a great day. God bless.

rmad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for this nice and informative post....

Post subject: RLS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
Hey Rmad,

Welcome to the forum!!

First, I wanna just throw this out there for you, it might not be the best thing in the world to mention to the folks in AA/NA that you're taking Suboxone. At the very least, you will not be able to share (speak) in the meetings, at the worst.....most of them will shun you like you had the plague. After you hit a few meetings, you might start talking to a member or two after the meetings about their thoughts on Suboxone to get a feel for the crowd, then you can decide if you're going to tell anyone or not. I'm not trying to put you off of AA/NA meetings, I've been going to NA meetings for almost two months now, I enjoy the meetings and I'm learning a lot, I'm sure you will too.

I have to second Lilly, that's awful going from 200mg of Oxy's to zero, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I detoxed off of Oxycontin for about a week once and I did everything I could to try and crawl out of my skin. I remember I had RLS[sup]2[/sup], actually it was my legs AND my arms going nutty!!

I'm glad you got into the clinic and are on Suboxone. Suboxone, used correctly, is an amazing medicine.

So, has your sleep improved any yet??

That is what is causing my RLS (I have it in my legs and arms too!!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rmad9812 wrote:
Hello again all. Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know there are
others out there you don't know that are looking out for you!
So thanks a bunch!
Well I am on day 3 on my subs! I don't know if I am taking them the right way
but I know I am not popping 10 oxy 30's a day waking up feeling like
crap! I am still not getting the best of sleep, but I am not feeling
The craving to go out and find a pill. Like I said, I don't know if I am
taking the subs right, my dr suggested I take 2 films a day totaling
16 mg, but I have been taking a little less than one and a half a day.
Been having some weird experiences on them too! Maybe it is just the
New medication I have introduced to my body, but it seems to irritate
my stomach like crazy! And my right side feels like a balloon is
inflated in me. Maybe I should go to my dr and see if this is just my
Anxiety, but the worst is not sleeping. I go nights staring at the clock
Watching each minute go by. The good thing is I feel no ill effects of withdrawls.

So

Hope you are feeling better and best of luck to you. I am new to this forum and subs too but they have helped (the forum and the meds) Good company in here and sure has helped me stay "sane". Talk with your doc about your sleep. maybe he/she can give you something for the short term.

Post subject: chronic pain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Hi RMAD and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're doing well on your new suboxone treatment. Amazing isn't it how quickly you feel better? Personally, I've been on suboxone for about 2.5 years. I also take it for chronic pain so I will probably be on it for a good while. But I can easily say it changed my life, if not saved it. It hasn't fixed my life, but it sure put me in a position to be able to address all of my shit. And that's something I never could have done before. Good luck to you and again, welcome.

Can you share hatmaker about your experience with chronic pain and how well the sub works/and what dose you are taking? I have chronic pain too and before I fired my doc he said/mentioned something about possibly managing the pain with the sub if i need it???