It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:33 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi there guys and gals. Let me start off by saying that I am on this forum on behalf of my mother who is now on day 2 of suboxone. She is a chronic pain sufferer for many years now and has fibromyalgia and depression on top of it all. After many years of prescribed oxy's and other big time names, we finally said enough and decided to take the step forward to getting off of all of them through the use of suboxone. I mean, she has been through it all, and it is time something positive comes from all of this. Pain and suffering for many years is not pleasant as I'm sure many of you are aware through your own experiences. So I am just here to share this short introduction and ask for any tips anybody can give who has went through the same thing with fibro/chronic pain and being heavily reliant on oxy.
When can we expect the cravings for oxy to fully subside and so forth? The doc said about 1-1.5 weeks.
Any other tips and suggestions are welcome as we are new to this drug.

Thanks all, awaiting some feedback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Ushy and welcome to the forum! I'm kind of surprised this hasn't gotten an answer yet. I know of quite a few members who have chronic pain and/or fibro, me being one of them. It's summertime (lots of vacations) so more will respond. I'm positive.

I am currently prescribed 16mg of suboxone daily. I split my dose up becuase of taking it for pain. I dose 8mg in the morning and 8mg in the evening. I'm currently dosing 4mg, 4mg, and 4mg, on the advice of another educated member, and so far so good.
Dosing this way rather than once daily helps to alleviate my pain. Plus I wanted to try getting my dose down a little at a time.

As far as cravings go, mine went away as soon as I was induced on Suboxone, and I fortunately, haven't had another one since. It's been since May 23rd. Everyone is different though. Was your mom an addict? OR just taking the meds for pain? My doctor told me that the goal with your dose of suboxone, is to take the lowest dose possible that takes you out of withdrawal, and takes care of the cravings. If her cravings are not better real soon, I would definitely address that with her doctor. I couldn't imagine trying not to take all those pain killers again, while battling cravings every day.

Please keep us updated as to your mothers progress and how she is feeling. Best of luck to her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI
I agree, first of all, with goingstrong's question; whether your mother was taking oxy/whatever else "as perscribed'' or as an addict. That will make a huge difference on the transition.

I too, have chronic pain. Thats what starting the pain pill crazy train for me, and why I'll probably stay on suboxone indefinitely. My back bothers me more than anything, and I have a very physically demanding job, which of course helps a whole lot!!

For ME, I hurt WORSE, when I first started suboxone, becuz in my opinion, my BODY/BRAIN were SCREAMING for what it was 'used to'
but after maybe two weeks, I started feeling better (in the pain dept) than I had in years. But my cravings (mentally) were still a huge factor.
Nowadays, pain is different each day depending on what I do during the day, how I sleep, etc.
The suboxone helps ALOT. Im perscribed up to 24 mg, but Usually do fine with 16.
I take 8mg in the morning, and 8 at night, unless I just cant stand myself, and have sharp pains runing down my legs, walk with a limp, ETC. And even then, it doenst take the pain away 100%, but part of this 'new life' I have, I tell myself, its good to feel SOME pain, rather than to be 'dead to the world' like I was a year and half (almost) ago!!
I hope that makes sense.
Either way, its quite the 'transition'
I went froma pretty high dose of methadone, to suboxone. I just abused the methadone, really bad. . . . But Ive done MUCH, much better with suboxone, since theres really no 'reward' for taking more.

Hope that helps.
I think its great your trying to help your mother :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/