It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: new Suboxone packaging
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello. I have been on Suboxone for one year and have recently noticed that the packaging has been uodated/changed on the back side stating buccal administration is also an option. Has anyone noticed the new Suboxone is not as strong and does not work the same as it did a few months ago?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:15 pm 

It is not a "new suboxone, it is the same medicine . It has worked for me for over 6 years as has the film in the newer packaging.

It would be against the law to change the formation without that information released to the public as well as the Dr s who RX it.

What do you mean when you say it isn't working like before? Are you going into Withdraw? Having cravings? Lack a sence of normalcy?

Im just trying to understand what you are suffering from in all this.. Welcome to the forum...

Razor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes , the medication does not feel the same strength wise and effects. It feels diluted ... I feel slight chills ..Some others have reported that same issue with the Suboxone in the new packaging.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Aluna,
Welcome!
Agree all w Razor.
My half a penny is: the new addition of the word buccal (cheek) to both the Suboxone packaging and the Suboxone website w slide/video instructions for sublingual OR buccal film placement is bc:
1) Both sites work effectively
2) For years, many folks were already using buccal placement by placing the film on the inner cheek or 'painting' the inner lining of a cheek(s) w the tongue as has painting been described here for more effective dosing, not just for generic bup/nal tablets but also for the film once it softens under the tongue.
3) Its better/stronger competitive marketing of Suboxone film for a broader use than just sublingual use and it better competes given Zubzolv's website which states sublingual only and Bunavail's website which states buccal (cheek) only. Essentially Indivior, who makes Suboxone, is now saying Suboxone is more flexible bc of more placement options...creating the idea it offers more than the other two bup/nal products do.

Per Dr J in subxone talkzone said "Suboxone is therefore designed to be taken ‘trans-mucosally’, i.e. via absorption through the lining of the oral cavity into the bloodstream (the lining of the oral cavity is called ‘mucosa.’) The passage of molecules through the oral mucosa is affected by a number of things– the size of the molecule, the lipid solubility of the molecule, the concentration of the molecule, etc. Buprenorphine is a lipid-soluble molecule that passes through the mucosa relatively easily, whereas naloxone is more water-soluble, and crosses the mucosa very poorly. THAT is the basis for why the naloxone in Suboxone is not active; only buprenorphine enters the bloodstream in significant amounts through the oral mucosa, and BOTH buprenorphine and naloxone are destroyed after being swallowed."

Wishing all my best, P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have noticed a difference in the packaging...but not the actual medication.

I've been successfully on it since spring 2008...around February 2008 when I first got the Reckitt N8 Suboxone pills...
Then in 2011 or so when I voluntarily asked my doctor at that time to switch to the film and allow me to try them..and been on film ever since.

That time (2011?) was when RB stopped offering any assistance on the pill form of Suboxone/Naloxone with coupon to help and started pushing their film version of the same drug...
And also, a great coupon to help pay for that new and "improved" film version..

It's understandable why they got sued...

Suddenly they decided their pill form was such a danger to children...

I always found it much easier to keep a pill bottle away from my kids than it is to keep a half-cut 8mg film away.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:01 am 

Well I guess you and the others better talk to your drs about upping your doses. ....

Try the painting methiod as Pelican has written out . Every word is ture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 am 

Alana, if u started taking ur medicine in ur cheek, then just switch bk to the way u used to do it under ur tongue. No biggie.

I noticed that the back of the package has a bright blue stripe near the top and there's additional instructions for someone that may want to put the medicine between the cheek and gum. That doesn't mean u have to do it any different, I still put mine under my tongue. Nothing has changed with the strip itself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I definitely agree. The subs have been inconsistent or consistently bad since the packaging change. The people who can't see the difference have been getting shitty absorption or have low tolerance anyways.they don't even dissolve the same anymore and they are lacking in flavor. The good ones used to make my tongue numb and provided relief almost immediately. Now they taste like sub when you swallow cuz you swallow half dissolved strip with no bupe in it. They suck balls and i used to love my subs. My quality of life isxway down. Glad to see im not the only one who can tell the difference. I want my subs back

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:49 pm 

Which dose are you talking about? It comes in 8, 4, and 2 milligram film strips. I get the 4 mg ones and haven't noticed any change at all. If you're taking the 8 mg, maybe ask for two boxes of the 4 instead. But that of course would cost a lot more so that advice is really no good.

Another reason they offer the other method of putting between your cheek and gums was that a lot of patients complained about getting sores under their tongue's. We started recommending that way a long time before the company took credit for it.

There are other mucus membranes of the body users have tried but I don't want to open that can of worms again. Yuck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sleeves15 wrote:
I definitely agree. The subs have been inconsistent or consistently bad since the packaging change. The people who can't see the difference have been getting shitty absorption or have low tolerance anyways.they don't even dissolve the same anymore and they are lacking in flavor. The good ones used to make my tongue numb and provided relief almost immediately. Now they taste like sub when you swallow cuz you swallow half dissolved strip with no bupe in it. They suck balls and i used to love my subs. My quality of life isxway down. Glad to see im not the only one who can tell the difference. I want my subs back

I have questions, but you should try to not look at suboxone in the way you do if that's how you feel.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What's to question. Some subs in my scripts are good still. Real good. Some are yellow dry and dissolve immediately or not at all. They have no taste. Orange or bupe flavor. They don't numb my tongue. When you split doses and are trying to taper good doses are important and its hit and miss with good quality strips due to the new packaging without a doubt. It was always unevenly distributed with bupe but now the subs are shot for the last half of the script. I been on them for years. I know when I have good strips and bad ones. I had a half that was good today. Tonight it might leave me in somewhat of a withdrawal. Lots of yawns feeling hot and cold. Its hit and miss. You have your opinion and i have mine. They clearly aren't working the way they used to. Maybe you take your whole dose at one time. I have pain issues so I take 3 halves a day. Sometimes I feel better. Sometimes I dont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:40 pm 

A lot of us here have been on suboxone for years, but I've never had them make my tongue numb. I'm not sure that's totally normal. I guess it has happened to some ppl but it never has me, I'd freak out if it made my tongue start going numb.

I have taken a half a dose before and not feel better, but I always assumed that's all to do with absorption. I've also noticed my strips will sometimes be brittle and already broken before I take it out of the package all the way, but as far as still working correctly, it did. There's definitely visual differences with the strips sometimes, I've used the strips almost the entire time, so I've seen differences for sure. But I haven't ever noticed, even if they're brittle, any less effective unless it's because my mouth was way to moist which effects absorption. That's just my experience with the strips that look different at times.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Idk when I get good absorption they have always made my tongue numb and I can taste the medicine and feel relief. Everybody's different. I know I overthink it. Don't get me wrong its still an amazingly beneficial drug. Im not bashing your miracle drug.Im saying the company has production flaws. Its not an even distribution of bupe I feel. You don't have to believe me.its just what I and many other people even on these forums believe through our up and down experience with trying to get positive effects from a very expensive medication used to treat issues we need help with.I am an addict in pain with this only option available. I like and need it to work correctly. You don't have to agree. You don't need to be right though and neither do i

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:28 pm 

I'm not trying to be right lol trust me I'm not a know it all..... at all :)

I was just thinking it could be absorption. Plus I've saw all different types of strips, I agree they're different at times. The brittle ones are ridiculous. One month, every strip had about an extra milligram on it! It's been years ago but it was folded over, like it hadn't cut off all the way or something. I don't know what caused that and it hasn't ever happened again. Of course I wasn't going to complain either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah. Agreed.its just ridiculous that its inconsistent. But so was dope. I just find it to be unethical for them to not all be the same. Every vicodin in a script of 90 are the same, my subs should be that way too. But they keep me off h and that's the purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

As a suggestion for those of you who might be having absorption issues, about 5 days ago I started rinsing my mouth with really warm water before inserting the sub. This will help to open the blood vessels and capillaries which is essential for optimal absorption. I've actually noticed an improvement in how long the dose lasts doing it this way. It's allowed me to set aside some medicine for emergencies.

I can't speak to the issue of the quality of the strips out of personal experience, but I think it would be worth your time to at least try doing it this way for a while and see if you notice any improvement at all. The medicine is so expensive that I need to make it last as much as I can. I should note here that I still don't get a buzz, although I have been feeling a little sleepier doing it this way. The real difference seems to be in how long it suppresses my WD symptoms. That is what's important to me.

- OM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

And... It is absorption. However I keep my mouth dry as possible. If the strip is yellow and beadless as well as dry and possibly cracked that doesn't help at all. Other than that no complaints. I love what they've done for me. Its just frustrating and the generic subs and butex all suck. Zubsolv leaves you in withdrawal. Itd be nice to have indivior make pills the way reckitt used to. But when I took those I took full 8's and never less than half. Sometimes I can get bye off quarter strip pieces so I know when they are at their best it is the burst form of the med. Beats the hell outta any generic form of bupe for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sleeves15 wrote:
Beats the hell outta any generic form of bupe for sure.

Hey Sleeves15 - I take the generic Subutex 8mg tablets made by Actavis and haven't had any problems so far. But I am early in my treatment right now (I started in April). Would there be any benefit to me if I changed to the strips? What makes the strips better? I don't even know if my doctor would let me try them because they're expensive, but I'd be interested if you get much better absorption.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did notice the new packaging but I also noticed that my boxes now list a company called Indivior as the mfgr rather than Reckitt Beckinser. What is that about? Not sure about any decrease in strength because I haven't noticed any but the other guy was right, legally if they were altering the formulation your doctor would be required to tell you and the mfgr would be required to tell the doctor and the public about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OpenMind wrote:
Sleeves15 wrote:
Beats the hell outta any generic form of bupe for sure.

Hey Sleeves15 - I take the generic Subutex 8mg tablets made by Actavis and haven't had any problems so far. But I am early in my treatment right now (I started in April). Would there be any benefit to me if I changed to the strips? What makes the strips better? I don't even know if my doctor would let me try them because they're expensive, but I'd be interested if you get much better absorption.

The only benefit would be that they are slightly stronger. 12% higher bioavailability, and because they are films and not tablets they're less of a pain to dissolve, but that also means the side effects you may not like are stronger too. If you have a copay or co-insurance cost it would be cheaper to stick with the generic tabs. Hope that helps!