It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I did check the forums before asking, and didn't see much on the issue of whether heart palps (prolonged flutters, esp.) are common?

I'm on 1mg a day, in the AM. Never had flutters before taking this. I know they're not dangerous, but they're disturbing...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've never heard of the association and I can't think of a mechanism for them to be related. I'm thinking... maybe the effect on mu receptors leads to respiratory depression and a raised carbon dioxide level... which is a stretch, since I've never heard of opioids leading to arrythmias, and the effect at mu receptors disappears with tolerance, as does any effect on respiration.

I'm drawing a blank-- but maybe someone else will chime in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:47 am 

Dr. Junig,

When I was first induced, and at a very large dose compared to what I was taking, (24 mg's) my heart rate went up along with my blood pressure and also skipping a beat. My doctor was very concerned and referred me to a Cardiologist who found nothing wrong.

Nothing like that had ever happened to me before so of course I blamed the Suboxone. By the time I saw the Cardiologist I had already reduced my dose down to 16 mg's and had stabilized too.

So I guess you can put me in that club.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:58 am 

I had heart flutters and palpitations and racing heart when I would use tramadol to keep me out of withdrawal when I would run out of percocet each month. I was taking more than the recommended dose too. That's what prompted me to stop taking tramadol and experience real withdrawal and made me reach out for help.

Anyway, I haven't experienced anything like that with buprenorphine, but I was never on a dose higher than 16 mg either.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tramadol boosts serotonin and excites the central nervous system-- which is why doses over 450 mg often cause seizures. So that doesn't surprise me too much... but Rule-- is it possible that you had a touch of precipitated withdrawal during the induction process?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just checked with my cardiologist's office today and they finally got back to me. Suboxone can cause heart palps, though the specific action and which medication (or combination) in Sub causes them was unknown to them as they aren't experts in that medication. The cardiologist finally got back to me with some references to the med, as I told him Id be on it a long time, and was it safe. His assistant referred me here:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/Drug ... 225677.pdf

Turns out it's well known side effect, though, again, the specific causation from taking the medication is unreported.

They're going to call some colleagues in addiction psychiatry this week for additional info. I asked for peer-reviewed studies (US and overseas), rather than simple op-eds or articles in trade magazines. I'll post what I find.