It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I finally found a doctor and I have an appointment next Friday. Do I need to take someone to the induction with me because I have no one? My husband travels for work and he can't take off. We are pretty new in town and I really don't feel comfortable asking someone. Btw, my husband knows everything. I came clean to him and told him I needed help. He is very supportive. One other question they said they wanted to take a urine test before the induction, why do they need to do this? I have been taking hydrocodone for years. I will have no more before I go to the sub doctor and I don't want to get another prescription for them. I plan on maintaining with an herbal product until I go to the doctor next Friday. If nothing shows up in my urine will they not let me be on Suboxone? I don't think the herbal thing shows up. I don't want to blow my chance at all. I am so scared of blowing this. If I do I will never get another chance and I need this so bad!! I want my life back. I am even starting a new job next month and if I don't get on the suboxone I will probably not be able to maintain that job. I am tired of this pill running my life!!! I want my life back!! Please help!! I am desperate!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Angel and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on getting on sub therapy. I hope you have as great an experience with it as I have had! Don't worry about having someone with you at induction. You will be perfectly ok to drive home. You should be in withdrawals before getting to your appointment, and feeling terrible. But once you get the sub in you things turn quickly in your favor. You will be feeling as normal as possible. You will be able to do anything while taking subs that you normally do. Work, shopping, driving, house cleaning, and anything you want to do will not be disrupted by the subs. That's part of what makes them so great!

They check your urine to make sure you have no other opiates in your system. If you have opiates or narcotics in your system the doctor probably will not start you on subs at that time. You need to put some time between your last dose of your drug of choice (hydrocodone) and the subs. If the subs are taken before you are in moderate to severe withdarwals it's possible you could become very sick with precipated withdrawals, which you want no part of I promise you!

You said you will have no more hydro before the doctor appointment and that's perfect! I'm not sure about the herbal product you mention? The entire process of induction means you are sick in withdrawals, and then you take the sub. If you take things to make you "feel better" before induction that could delay the process a bit. I might be tempted to not take anything until you get the subs that day. Up to you of course, just my suggestion based on experience.

Take care and good luck Angel. Let us know how you do and I hope the induction goes well for you. We will be looking forward to your updates. Best wishes!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much!! You have no idea how much anxiety I had about blowing my chance to get clean. I want a better life so bad. I have heard such good things about suboxone. I am very happy and I hope it works as good for me as it has for you!! I am excited to start my life again. My husband was diagnosed with MS and we don't even know how long he will be able to work so I need to go to work and do my part for my family. Plus I am tired of missing out on the good things in life just because I don't have a pill to get me through it. My habit started after my dad died and I was devastated to say the least. That was five years ago. I am ready to find me again. Plus I know he would be so disappointed to know that this is what has become of my life. Once again, Thank you!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the drug tests are also to see if people are using/ mixing other drugs. Also, I know that some doctors do test to see if you have opiates in your system, they don't want clean patients coming in for the purpose of selling their script, which is why every doctor I've been through will not only give you a standard test (once in maintenance) but also test specifically for bupe to make sure it's being taken. However, don't worry, it's common for sub patients to detox themselves prior to treatment so your doctor shouldn't be alarmed if you don't have any opiate showing in your urine. Especially because hydro leaves the system so quickly, so just explain when your last dose was.

I'm not sure how much hydro you've been taking, but my only advice to you is to ease onto suboxone. It's quite strong, even for some people taking large amounts of even oxycodone. I'm hoping you get a doctor who will tailor your induction to your previous history but if you get the common 16-24 mg/ day induction.. I will warn you that it's better to play it safe than sorry. Despite what your doctor tells you to do, just know that you can always start out smaller and add more as necessary. If you take too much though, you can't undo it. You'll be fine but you'll feel crappy. The symptoms of too much bupe usually come in the form of headaches, speedy feeling, or nodding out, tired, unable to sleep at night, chain smoking, and throwing up. Just FYI..

When you do get stable on the right dose, you'll be surprised how quickly your life turns around.. it's quite amazing. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was taking quite a bit of hydro's. Thank you for the info. I have been reading about that also (the amount you start at). I am going to ask him to give me the lowest dose possible to help with WD. I don't want to just trade one addiction for another addiction. What I am excited about is that they say you don't have the cravings. I would love to not have the cravings and feeling like I need a pill all the time. I so hope it works as good for me as it has for you!! You have given me so much hope.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can pretty much assure you that your cravings will be annihilated. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lol I sure hope so!!! That would be absolutely amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Angel...

I'm assuming the "herbal product" you are referring to is Kratom. I would definitely not take any of that the day of induction. This herb is very similar to an opiate, and it does react with the opiate receptors. I'm not positive that it would cause you any issues with induction, but if it were me I would definitely not chance it.

Another reason to stay away from it that day is to be sure you are in enough WD to rate a moderate score on the COWS induction sheet. If your doctor doesn't see signs of WD he might make you wait to induce til another day.

I wish you the best of luck with your induction! Let us know how you do!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It is Kratom I didn't know if I could say it on the board? Yes I plan to be off of it before the induction. I go not this Friday but next Friday @ 12. I feel so grateful that this doctor has taken me. He does a lot in the community. I surely do not want to go through PW. I have heard they are horrible. They said don't take anything for 24 hrs. To be honest I am dreading it. But I know it will be worth it in the end. Thank you for the advice. I look forward to being on the board and I will let you guys know how it goes. Thank you for all the support!! It has been wonderful. It is funny. The lady keeps calling me and asking me if I still want to do it. She said a lot of people drop out before the induction. Not ME!! I have a one track mind right now. I am going for it!!!! I so want to be a success story!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys just an update. I got the suboxone!! :D He is letting me induce myself. I have taken 8 mgs. 4mgs an hour ago and then another 4mgs just now. I am hoping I don't have to take the other 8mgs he gave me. I hope to stay as low as I can. Thanks for the encouragement!! I was so scared. I am still scared. It was embarrassing to have to tell someone you are an addict. This was my first time to ever tell anyone. I am optimistic though. BTW, my doctor was so nice. He was not judgemental at all and they even charged me less than they were going to for the appt. I am on the film. Now I am going to have to find a counselor. I do have a terrible headache but that is the only side effect so far. I hope it is okay to take advil. Once again thank you all so much!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You can totally take advil! I'd wait a good long time before deciding to take more, unless you're still having actual withdrawal symptoms, but something tells me you'll be alright. Hopefully the headache is your only side effect from switching! If you get nauseous or dizzy, it most likely means it was bit too much bupe. Hopefully you've found your magic number and you have a smooth transition!

Let us know how it goes! Good luck-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Tinydancer. I took some advil and feel great now. He told me to take the other 8mgs tonight but I don't think I will need it. Should I take it or not? He wants me to take 16mgs a day but I am thinking 8mgs is my sweet spot. I go back next Friday so I don't know if he is planning on keeping me on 16mgs a day. BTW, can I just say you guys are awesome!!! You have all been such a big help!! Oh and I am not nauseous or dizzy. :D Thanks again Tinydancer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You need to do what you feel is right for you. If you're feeling like the suboxone isn't holding you and you're getting w/d symptoms, then you should try more. I would not advise you to take a full 8mgs at night though. For starters, if it's too much for your system, there are no takesies- backsies. You'll be stuck dealing with the consequences until it's out of your system. The half life is long and once someone over does the bupe, it's not uncommon to suffer the symptoms for a full day or two. So, if you take more, start small, like 2mgs.. and see how that goes. Plus taking too much suboxone at night will cause you not to sleep well.

Additionally, remember that you're not seeking to feel good or euphoric, but rather just normal. So if you get to tonight and still feel fine, then you probably don't need to take anything just to take it. A lot of doctors suggest 16mgs as a general rule to start out on and a lot of times it's too much, depending on your habit and DOC prior. I'd be pretty surprised if you needed that much quite honestly, but you'll need to figure out what dose is right for you. You'll know in the next few days. It takes some tweaking but you'll get there. Just ease up to a bigger dose if needed, that's all I can say.

GL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I will see how I feel tonight. I appreciate all the help!! It would be great if I didn't need anymore tonight but if I need it I will take it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Angel,

I'm glad to see that your induction went well for you. How are you doing now that you've had a few days to get used to the suboxone?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, my name is Mike, I'm in Norther Cali. My girl
Has been on Suboxone for 3 yrs. she relapsed
On H then took 4 methodone pills yesterday . Today
She used H, so it's been 24hrs from the methodone,
When can she take the Suboxone again ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mikezvi49 wrote:
Hi, my name is Mike, I'm in Norther Cali. My girl
Has been on Suboxone for 3 yrs. she relapsed
On H then took 4 methodone pills yesterday . Today
She used H, so it's been 24hrs from the methodone,
When can she take the Suboxone again ?

Hi Mike,

She's not ready. Not only does she still have methadone in her system (which is a long acting opiate and full agonist,) she also has heroin in her system. She needs to be able to stay away from all opiates for a considerable amount of time before inducing back onto suboxone. If she were to take it today, she'd get sick. She needs to go into withdrawal before inducing, you can help monitor her withdrawals using the COWS chart. http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

I'm assuming by 4 meth pills, you're referring to 40mgs? Also, how long was her heroin relapse. If it was short she could still have sub on her receptors which could help her but I'd still advise against taking sub at this time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

She last took Suboxone on Wed evening. She has been on it for yrs (16mgs a day). She used H on thurs, H and Methodone(40mg)on Friday, H on Saturday, and H this morning. Could she take the Suboxone on Tues? I don't think she's strung out on anything but the Suboxone, but I'm no doctor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's a good chance the sub isn't out of her system. Luckily she only used the meth for one day, she shouldn't use anymore. Is she done with the H for today? She should not use anything until tuesday morning, and assuming she is good in withdrawals, it could be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for responding. I really appriciate
The response. That's kind of what I figured.
If she were to take it tomorrow or just too early
Would she go into withdrawal ? It seems like
The only withdrawal would be the Suboxone
Since she couldn't be dependent on the H yet