It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone. A brief about me.....
I am male, 62, separated 8 months(due to Oxys, married 22 months). I have been on Subs(8mg@day) for 4 days. I started getting high in 1970. I have used a plethora of drugs, pot, hash, acid, mesc, MDA, mushrooms, peyote, amphetamines, PCP, barbituates, soperifics, opiates, cocaine,etc.....Destroied my life the first time on Cocaine($1000-1500@day habit), laid it down and walked from it in 1991 and have never looked back. Was a daily pot smoker till 1993(job started randoms). My DOC since was opiates after elbow surgery 1995. I have been to rehab 2 times. My longest sober period after a 800-960mg@day Oxy habit was 18+ months(2006-2008). Dedicated NA member for that 18+ months(14-17 meetings@week) till I drank a beer and relapsed back to oxys again.
I have been on Dr. perscribed Suboxone thereapy for 4 days(8mg@day) and I have not felt better since the first day I took opiates(16 years). I had found this site prior to going to the doctor and had begin reading these posts while using, knowing I was on the road to total destruction AGAIN in my life.(Sort of like injecting 120mgs of oxy and going to a meeting which I did several times in the past few months !) Talk about hypicritical...geeezzzzz ! As of today I have 9 days DOPE clean, the last 4 on suboxone therapy.
I am here to Listen and Learn and Ask questions. Hopefully I WILL learn something reading these posts. I do have some of my OWN opinions gained thru 40 years of substance use and abuse and will let them be known from time to time. But they are Opinions and they are mine(entitled to them being 62 years old). If you dont ask, you dont find out ! I have learned quite a bit about Suboxone while lurking and reading ya'lls posts. I hope to learn more and if I have more questions I will ask don't worry. And please if you have questions of me, please ask...I am an open book !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:32 pm 
Good Luck Okla and welcome. You will find tons of friends and advice. It sounds like your doc is pretty smart to start you on 8mg a day which is so much more reasonable that some idiots who start patients on 24 mg a day, which they usually don't need.

You should know by now, if you are not feeling withdrawals, and cravings that this is the perfect dose. Now is your chance to break your cycle of addiction. You'll have plenty of work to keep doing but congrats.

robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

okla51m, I am glad your doing so well. I read on a different thread that you plan on staying on sub. for a long time and I think thats a great idea. Not that 62 is old, but going back out would not be pretty at this satge in the game. Good luck

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:47 pm 
Welcome, okla51m! I'm thinking maybe you're from Oklahoma? And is the 51 referring to highway 51? Just curious as I'm in Oklahoma. Anyway....welcome to a great forum!
Your story is interesting, long history of drug abuse....I'm sorry for all you've lost due to it. I understand what that feels like and it sucks! But good for you for making the decision to give bupe a try. With your history, I think it's a great idea. I've been on it myself for a little over 2 years and it has really helped me. I just could not stay off the opiates and felt so miserable after trying that I couldn't stand it anymore. Suboxone was what I needed to start thinking straight again and to feel normal again after several years of abusing opiates.
Congrats on your recovery and I hope you continue to feel well. Hope you'll participate here regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey okla51,

Welcome to the forum!!

After reading your story, I'm thrilled that you chose Suboxone. Suboxone worked fantastically for me and I'm confident it will help you too.

I hope you stick around and share some of that vast knowledge of yours. You certainly have been there and done that!!

Post subject: Responses
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ladies and gentlemen,
Thank you for your "welcomes".....I have been lurking this site for a few weeks now before making the jump to suboxone. Trying to determine if I was jumping from the fire into the frying pan....I don't think that I am....!
I had sampled methadone a couple times in my past, once many years ago for grins(wasnt a grin, made me feel dumb as a rock.) I could not add two and two for a couple days. Made me brain dead it seemed...think i drank about 5 ml. The guy I got it from was on about 50ml.@day and how I dont know ???? good grief !!!! duh....! And then, the wafers a couple times to attempt to relieve the WDs from oxys...didnt work ! Not for me !!!!
And "setmefree"...no, the "51" in my name is not about the highway but my age at the time I got my email address from yahoo, obviously I've had it for a while as I am 62 today, turning 63 in feb....but a good try..lol
What part of okla are you in setmefree ? If I may ask? TUlsa here....for 50+ years !
I am hoping I am not a on a"pink cloud" on the subs because they seem to be working soo good. My doc had suggested/perscribed I take 16mg a day but I had sampled from the street a couple times and had achieved great relief by taking 4mg in the morning and 4mg in the late afternoon. So that is what I am sticking with for the time being. The only side effect I have noticed so far has been insomnia, not unlike the same effect oxy/hydro had on me and a bit of constipation.(I had read on here someone was feeling "HIGH" on their dose, and in a sense I can understand that in that feeling "Normal " is almost a High feeling lol !) Both acceptable considering the alternatives(jails, institutions or death)of continued opiate use. I will sleep sooner or later and will poop sooner or later(I HOPE LOL).
Again, thank ya'll for your welcome's and the intellegent responses I have read when responding to others questions.
I am still amazed that I had NOT heard about Suboxone prior to the past 6 months or so, only methadone. To me it seems to be a Godsend compound. And the laws limiting the doctor/patient quota to only 100 seems archaic(sp). TO think there are 1000's of people dying and living miserable existances out there because of opiate addiction and NOT KNOWING about this.......! Yes, it is expensive(we will have to Work on that and the 100 patient limit with PSA's and legislation) but compared to the alternative(price of street opiates) it is CHEAP ! I don't understand why anyone would want off of it, ever, if it continues to work as it has soo far. Do you want off your High Blood Pressure meds or your Diabetic Meds...? From all that I have read, the affinity for drug addiction is a Disease, an insidious one. Alcoholism was declared a Disease by the AMA in 1951/52. And to me there is NO differance between the two, only the vehicle used for destruction !...."Once you have become a Pickle, you can Never be a Cucumber again....!" This is the First time I have not been consumed with the thoughts of acquiring, coming up with the money to acquire, the using and where am I going to get more(OPIATES) in the 16 long tired years of abuse !!!!!!
Again, Thanks for your open friendliness along these lines. I will be lurking, learning and commenting in the future. I feel as though I have been given another chance at LIFE ! PEACE !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Try taking your second dose earlier in the afternoon, people have had problems with sleeping when they take a dose later in the p.m. After you get stabilzed on sub., dosing once a day is recommended. It will help to break the habit of taking a pill during the day, or taking something when stressed or wanting to change one's mood.

Post subject: RE: PM dose
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[b]STP747...I'll try that tomorrow, as it is a bit late today, already desolved it. I am on the strips.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to say welcome, I have been on sub for 3 months and I too am feeling pretty good. I remeber being amazed with how great I felt after that first dose and that lasted for about a week and then I went thru 2-3 weeks of feeling really sleepy and at times a bit high. Then it evened out and have felt good since. I am telling you this in case you experience something similar, I want you to know it goes away and you will feel good again. This probably won't happen to you, one thing I have learned about sub is that it effects everyone very differently. Congrats on taking your life back and I am sure you will be very happy with your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome! Thanks for sharing your story with us. And congrats for starting suboxone and taking control of your life. It sounds like you're a perfect candidate for it. Also, I agree with stp about the dosing earlier in the afternoon - it might help you sleep. Plus you should consider getting down to dosing once per day. Sub has an average half life of 37 hours, so dosing once per day at 8 mg should hold you just fine for at least 24 hours.

Oh and that almost "high" feeling lots of people get in the first few days of sub treatment is normal and will subside, IF you are experiencing it. So it won't last. Every time I take my sub I don't feel a thing. That's pretty much how it should work.

Good luck to you with your treatment. See you around the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.