It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
Hi all! I am about a month into my Suboxone. I was hooked on Norco and oxys To the point where I would take anywhere from 6-15 1000mg norco a day and 8 - 15 20mg oxy's a day. Obviously I would run out of my script early every month and have to go through withdrawls until I got my next script. I finally got tired of it and a friend of mine gave me a Subutex, same as suboxone. It was a lifesaver for me but I only got a few of them so I was back to square one. About a month ago, I found a suboxone dr. that my insurance covered and he started me on 8mg/ day. I took that for a couple weeks, then he cut me down to 6mg/ day and in a few days I'm supposed to cut down to 4mg/day. I am so proud of myself, and have never felt better. So happy to find this forum and read the other stories to help me know what to expect. Good luck to all, and I will keep my progress updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome, asassycat! Congrats on your finding a sub doc who takes your insurance and is supportive, which this doc appears to be. I'm about a month into my Suboxone treatment, too.

There are terrific people in this forum, and lots of sound advice and feedback. Glad you're here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes, welcome asassycat, you have found a home here! Glad to hear that you find subutex/suboxone works well, it's so good to feel straight again with no worries about scoring or feelings of self loathing.Stick with it, and please do keep us updated on your progress.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would also like to welcome you. I (and many, many others) know what it's like to go through withdrawals every month. I'm so glad to hear you've ended that terrible cycle and have started your recovery.

This is a terrific forum and I'm confident you will feel at home here.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your support, it means a lot to be able to come to this forum and read others stories and see that I'm not alone. So far, so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:00 pm 
I wanted to welcome you also asassycat! Congrats on getting in with a doctor and getting started on buprenorphine for your opiate addiction! You are definitely not alone......all of us here can relate to what you've been through and are going through now. Getting started on bupe is a great first step towards getting better. I'm sure you've already figured that out! The first month or so seems to be just a time to settle in, enjoy feeling 'normal' for the first time in a long time and to begin to sort out what your addiction has cost you and start working on everything that's gone wrong. Once you're stable on your meds, you can start to focus more on your issues......what happened that led up to your addiction, what kind of underlying issues you may have with depression or anxiety or other types of disorders that contributed to the addiction, and things like that. What I'm suggesting to you is that there is much, much more involved with recovery than taking Suboxone/Subutex. It's a hard road and a long road to being well again. Some of us find that we need to be on bupe for several months at a minimum and others discover that this may be something they need for the rest of their life. In either case, I think there is a lot of work we have to do if we hope to remain free of active addiction.
I would encourage you to explore this site and research addiction and treatment as much as you can.....educate yourself thoroughly on the subject. Some us find that we need extra help via therapy or counseling, support groups and the like in order to move forward in our recovery. This forum is a great place for support so I'm glad you found us. Please keep coming back and sharing with us how you're doing! Glad you're feeling good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

ok, I am doing well, down to 4 mg a day from 8. My question is, how will the withdrawl from the Sub be? how long will it last, and how bad will it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 pm 
Glad you're still doing well. To answer to your question, I need to ask you a couple of questions. What is you and your doctor's plan? Have you planned a time-limited treatment with Suboxone? Something like a quick taper and wean over a period of a couple of months? Or are you operating on a wait-and-see basis where you might be on Suboxone long term?
Going back to my original reply to you.....What are you doing besides the Suboxone in your recovery?
I can almost promise you that if all you do is take Sub for a couple of months and wean off, you will be back on opiates within a short period of time. There's just a lot more to addiction and recovery than that.
To go back to your question about how bad withdrawal will be - You are now on 4mg of Suboxone and feeling fine. Most of us are able to reduce our doses to about that level and sometimes as low as 2mg/day, without feeling a thing....no withdrawal symptoms, no big cravings, fine. You haven't really begun the difficult part of tapering yet at all. From what I have read and heard, if you want to stop Suboxone and not suffer with withdrawal symptoms, you must taper slowly and to very low doses (under 1mg/day). The process from where you are right now at 4mg/day to get down to a good level at which to stop the medication is going to take several months at a minimum. I don't think I've read or heard of one single account of an individual stopping Suboxone abruptly at greater than 1mg/day or so and not suffering pretty significant and long-lasting withdrawal.
In other words, don't plan on getting in a hurry. Focus on what is most important - YOUR RECOVERY....Never ever going back to active addiction! If that means you stay on 4mg of Suboxone for the rest of your life that needs to be okay. I have heard that we shouldn't even think about going off Sub until we barely even think about Sub any more....that's going to take a while!
I don't mean to discourage you at all. I have hopes of coming off Sub at some point too. I've been on for 8 months. I have taken ~3-4mg/day for several months now and have just now decided I might be ready to reduce again. But it will have to be done very slowly the rest of the way down. And if at any point I run into trouble....I'll stop reducing. I'm in no hurry anymore. It takes as long as it takes. How much and how long I'm on this medication matters far less than staying away from full-agonist opiates!!
Get back with us and let us know your plan and we'll help in any way possible.