It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Everyone,

I am about to start suboxone treatment this weekend so I thought i'd join this forum as it feels good to be part of a community of folks in a similar boat. I am a 26 y/o male and one of my biggest concerns after lurking this forum for a while is the numerous complaints of low testosterone caused by suboxone. I'm hoping this doesn't become an issue for me and it is enough to make me question my decision to induct.

Other than my concern about low t, I'm looking forward to starting life free from my addiction and I'm viewing this as a new beginning!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Welcome Oxen! Congratulations on choosing to change your life for the better!
I'm fairly new to this forum as well. I joined a little over a week ago & started my sub treatment a week ago today :)

I know it's still very very early into my treatment, but I can say that the suboxone has already done amazing things for me & I'm moving in the right direction now.

Good Luck with your induction & keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If your testosterone levels do drop while on Suboxone, you can always go see your doctor and hopefully he'd get you started on Androgel or something like that.

I hope you do decide to induct this weekend and that Suboxone works as well for you as it has for so many of us.

Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's pretty definitive that even if you do suffer low testosterone, it's not enough of a reason to continue life as an actively-seeking addict on opiate pain meds. The pros outweigh the cons, TREMENDOUSLY.

If I had to take my preference, I'd MUCH rather be on Suboxone and suffer low testosterone (what's the "worst" this can do to you/for you, besides low sex drive??) than to be seeking those Oxycontins and abusing prescription pain meds like I was doing and eventually winding up behind bars (or worse, 6ft under)...

Low testosterone is a possibility..but it's a hit or miss from what I gather. I've been on Suboxone for 3+ years now, and just now started talking with my doctor about testosterone...he's going to test me on my next visit and see if my levels are OK. No reason really, I don't have any complaints...but just to make sure.

So don't let this deter you from what's important...because you cannot allow something as minor as that keep you from living a normal life without the cloud that opiates place on us.