It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So I just found out I have to have another surgery much sooner than I expected. I was hoping to wait until I was off sub. I am still so new in my recovery and have so much shame and guilt. I don't know how I would handle it if the hospital treats me like some piece of shit drug addict.There is a part of me that feels like I should be punished, especially for all the money I spent. I am also scared of not having adequate pain control . I had surgery in May and I was on around 200mg of oxy a day and had a horrible time! The Dr. did not write for enough pain meds and did not get to see a doc until I was being discharged. The nurses would not listen to me or my husband and just kept saying, "we can't even believe she is still breathing from the meds we gave her. Which consisted of 15 mg of oxy in the am/pm, 2 lortab every 4 hours, and every once in a while a small dose of morphine (which actually helped for about 20 min, but would only give it every 4-6 hours). This was before sub and now they are going to think addict on top of it all! Anyway I guess I am just venting and if anyone out there has been thru this and has advice, I would appreciate it, thank you! IDK, maybe it's just karma coming back to get me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's a great article posted on the forum about treating acute pain in sub (and methadone) patients. (Here's that thread: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=34268#34268). It's from the NIH, a very reputable organization and has a whopping 7 pages of citations at the end of the article! It's pretty easy reading, too. I'd recommend you read it and print out a couple of copies. I'd also recommend that you hook up your sub doctor with your surgeon. I'd give that paper to both doctors and bring one with you to your surgery and have one set aside to share with your anesthesiologist if need be. I wouldn't be handing them out left and right, but if you run across docs/nurses who are uneducated about suboxone, you'll have this as a reference guide to help you.

The paper discusses several different ways to treat acute pain, including post surgical pain, in people taking sub. Because, you are right - you've got a high tolerance to get past, plus the blockade effect of the suboxone.

When is your surgery? And (remind me) what is your current sub dose? Depending on that, you might want to temporarily taper yourself down for a week or two before the procedure and then stop your sub about 3 days before. The other thing some doctors do is to stop the sub a little earlier and put the patient on a full agonist to get a jump on treating the pain and to keep you out of withdrawals.

I know this can be a lot of information. Check out that paper and then come back with any more questions you have. Also, in this section you'll see other posts about surgery and sub. I did one last year that was titled something like "Upcoming surgery April 19". Many members posted a LOT of helpful info on that thread, so you might want to check it out.

I hope this helps a little bit and like I said, feel free to ASK AWAY!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you so much for the fast response! I am currently on 16mg and am going down to 12mg today. My surgery is not scheduled yet but have to do it ASAP as my insurance is going up 40% next month and I can no longer afford it. I will read thru all the info you gave me. Thanks again!