It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on Oxcy 80mg three times a day for five years. had three back operations and was taken it via doc script. Now I am on suboxen 8-2 mg two times a day. The woman doc has made me take 9 urine tests in three weeks. I told her that I did smoke and had XANAX before my operation on June 23. I showed positive for THC and Benzo. I told her this and yet she did NINE tests and then complained that she may loose her license if i keep showing positive. I told her to simply wait until it was out of my system, but she still keep doing testing. She also gave me 5-6 strips at a time so I would keep coming back to her. Does this appear normal? I called the ins company and told them she is ripping the system off since I have a pretty decent plan. Any ideas from anyone? does this appear to be normal course of action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,im new here to and i just started sub today. I told my dr about smoking last week and taking xanex last night. she seemed okay with it, said it was in the past. However i am concerned about the urine test too. she didnt do one today and im afraid when i am asked for one that the weed will show up still. Sorry i dont have any advice for you but i am very interested in other peoples answers. good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi guys, My doctor did the same ungodly amount of screens too. I also told him what I had used before the appointment. 8 screens later, they were all clear. I asked him why he did so many, knowing that they would be dirty for a few weeks? He said that he wanted to know as soon as it was out of my system. Now they should all be clean from this point forward.

Maybe thats what your docs are doing too? Though I have to say, that this does sound a little bit like a rip off to the insurance company. I can't say for sure though. I get all my care through the VA, so there is no charge for my visits. So my doctor has no financial gain,and to go about it the way he did for monetary reasons alone, wouldn't compute here.

Ihope that some other members have some ideas, I'm kinda curious too....

SteveJackson....Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Goinstrong wrote:
Hi guys, My doctor did the same ungodly amount of screens too. I also told him what I had used before the appointment. 8 screens later, they were all clear. I asked him why he did so many, knowing that they would be dirty for a few weeks? He said that he wanted to know as soon as it was out of my system. Now they should all be clean from this point forward.

Maybe thats what your docs are doing too? Though I have to say, that this does sound a little bit like a rip off to the insurance company. I can't say for sure though. I get all my care through the VA, so there is no charge for my visits. So my doctor has no financial gain,and to go about it the way he did for monetary reasons alone, wouldn't compute here.

Ihope that some other members have some ideas, I'm kinda curious too....

SteveJackson....Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

thank you all for the wonderful reply's. I did not think anyone would read these! Greatly appreciate your input. It means a great deal for me to hear from others. BTW I have been in AA for three years now too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I am also new in here. Thanks admin to allow me here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WELCOME TO ALL OF YOU!

Each sub doctor does their drug screens their own way, but I wouldn't put it past some of them to upcharge people just by doing extra UA's. It's unethical of course, but there are bad apples in every group, even doctors. It sounds like you only took them in the past and if that's the case, then they'll be out of your system soon and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Some doctors do have very frequent appointments in the very beginning of sub treatment, like every week. That's how it was for me when I first started. Every week, then every two weeks, then every month, and now I'm on every three months.

You can always ask what kind of appointment schedule you can expect as you're in treatment with them longer.

Good luck to ALL of you in your sub treatment and again, welcome to our forum. I'm confident you'll like it here and enjoy the people!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Three UA's a week for 3 weeks does seem excessive. As far as I know, there is no federal requirement that doctors must drug-test Suboxone patients, let alone that the patient must test negative. Maybe there is a state requirement where you are...but most of the state requrirements are that the doctor has to OFFER drug-testing, not that patients must test clean.

I know that when I was on Sub, I was getting covered through Medicaid and Medicaid required that my doctor do UA's in order for them to cover the treatment. I'm not sure why your doctor would be worried about losing her license over your UA though...that seems a little over-reactive to say the least.

Is she a good doctor in other ways? Has she outlined her treatment program with you so that you'll know when you'll be able to get a month's supply of medication from her? Is she going to drop you as a patient if you lapse and smoke weed again or do some other drug?

If I were you I would feel her out and see if she's going to be a decent doctor...but I'd also be looking around for a backup plan.

-Jack Kornfield