It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to site
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello to everyone! I'm new to this site. I'm a long time methadone user,legally prescribed btw, and I want to get off methadone. I was originally prescribed MD for severe mid back pain. I had been in a car wreck & a drunk hit me head on. I already had back pain from spinal stenosis, so the wreck only made things worse. I have tried or been on almost every rx out there, including non-narcotics. I take 2 10mg MD tabs every 12hrs & 350mg somas twice a day. I am prescribed MD 10mg's 2 every 12hrs, but I've been weaning myself off them. I also take 350mg somas 1 every 12hrs. To me, quitting somas are no big deal, but MD is PURE HELL!!!! I've tried to get off MD before & I'll not only have the flu like symptoms, but I'll jerk & twitch uncontrollably. I've rarly heard of wd as bad. One time I ended up in the ER because I started to have seizures. I'm married to a wonderful man, I'm well educated (I work in a pharmacy, btw), & we have our pets. No kids, we lost a baby. I've never drinked, smoked, or done any iliegal drugs. I'm just tired of being on a med that even my pain dr doesn't really like to wright. Of course being in the field I'm in , I know all the drs who will prescribe pain meds. I don't want more pills, I just want to live a normal life, w/out worrying if my dr will continue to prescribe MD. I would like others opinions on how to get off methadone, w/out going through all that jerking & twitching. Even though I know a great deal about meds, I don't know everything & I need support from others who are going through the same thing, or have gone through it. To be frank ,I'm really scared of thje w/drawals.
Are they that bad? How long does it take for suboxone to work? Please help!! Thanks for anyone's advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi angel and welcome. I'm sorry about everything you have been through. The good news is, you're not on a super high dose, and it is possible to wean down. The part I wasn't sure of is, are you planning to go on Suboxone? Or were you hoping to just wean completely off the methadone? If you're planning to go on Suboxone, I believe they will have you wean down to 30mg of methadone/day. You then might have to skip a couple of days, because going from methadone (a strong opiate) to Suboxone (a weaker opiate with strong binding to the receptors) can cause you to go into precipitated withdrawal - which is like the worst WD of your life. Several people on this forum have made the switch successfully, without precipitated WD, so hopefully you will hear some advice from them.
If you are plann ing on just going off the methadone, the key is to do it very slowly. For example you can take 2 10mg pills in the morning and then 1 1/2 at night for 10 days or so. Then maybe go to 1 1/2 in the morning and 1 1/2 at night for 10 days. If you don't feel well maybe even drop 1/4 of a pill at a time. The point is, make the drops small and spread the drops out so that you adjust in between. Have you spoken to your doctor about getting off? If you have no addiction history maybe he will give you something weaker and short acting (like hydrocodone) at the end of your taper.
Let us know how it goes, and good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome to the Forums Angel1

I would take Lilly's advice and proceed with a taper. See if you can eventually get to under 20 MG a day of MD. The lower you can go the easier it will be when you finally jump off the cliff of awesome.

You're likely to feel some uncomfort no matter how low you go, but the lower you can manage the less bad the W/D usually happen to be. If you can get it low enough, the worse you would have to worry about is some nasty insomnia.

Keep posting, take a look into the quitting forum and MD forum. They have SO much information that can help you achieve any type of goals you have.

Update us with what your plans are! We would love to give you advice and input!

-WTBF

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the advice! I would like to just taper off methadone and completley get off it . I will need to take something for my pain. Any and all advice will be welcome. BTW, I'm already down to 20mg a day on methadone. If I can avoid starting Suboxone so much the better. I hear your just trading one med for another, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Angel1 - I've never personally done MD, but they seem similar in logic, both have very long "half-lifes". It's hard to say what to do when you need pain relief. Anything narcotic is going to bring you back around and you'll be right back to square one. I'm not a doctor and this is only my opinion, have you tried tramadol? Aka Ultram? It can be addictive as well, however its a more mild non narcotic pain reliever.

Someone else will need to chime in for MD to suboxone. I'm sure Amber(Moderator awesomeness) will when she sees this. It's hard to say what to do when you also need something for pain. I'm unsure how to tackle that monster.

Either way, if your goal is to stop take a look at the taper threads, try and get your dose as low as possible. Aim small at first. Maybe take 15mg instead of 20 and work from there.

I wish you the best and if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for ya!

-WTBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 am 

Hi Angel and welcome to our forum! I am also ignorant about methadone, so I don't have much practical advice. I do know that there are several people who frequent this site who are using suboxone to manage chronic pain. If you need to be on an opiate to manage your pain, suboxone might be the right medication for you. One good thing about suboxone is that you don't grow tolerant past a certain point, so you can use it long term and not have to keep taking larger doses. I do not that the process of switching from methadone to suboxone is somewhat uncomfortable.

I'm sure Amber will come along and let you know about her experience switching from methadone to suboxone. :)

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I used to be on Methadone. I was on 10mg twice a day also. i weaned down to 10mg once a day then jumped on to suboxone 16mg. It was a smooth transition. I never had severe withdraws. Maybe some sweating but no discomfort. I am currently on 8mg of suboxone a day and very happy. I hope this helps.

Post subject: HERE I AM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry,,,, soooo sorry, I JUST FOUND THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why but I could NOT FIND YOU!!!!

LOL
anyways,,, that doesn't matter now!!!

so GREAT JOB on getting weaned down that low!!!!
that's seriously SO AWESOME!
!!

yes, I have been in two, bad, horrible car accidents as well, that's how my methadone script began, too.
well actually I got hurt at work, first, then the car wreck, but those details don't matter :wink:

Anyways, *I'll give you the "short version" here......and if you have any questions, just ASK!!!! okay?
your not bothering me, I WANT TO HELP :wink: :wink: :wink:

So, I work construction, have since I was 18..... got hurt at work,(21yrs old) you know the story, started the pain killers.
tolerance got "up there'' and one doctor to the next, finally put me on methadone when I was running outta my oxy
scripts in a week, a months' worth, of course!!!!
the first time I was on MD I was 24
went back and forth a few times, to dillaudid, and morphine, back to md, and of course when I was buying off the street
it was whatever I could get.
FAST FORWARD,
age 26, on methadone, about 150mg/day
got pregnant, 27, weaned down to 60, switched to 10mg percs, for the duration of the pregnancy, as per OBGYN
orders.
AS SOON as I was outta the hospital, YEP, back on MD,
this time, about the same, sometimes more cuz NOW, after the baby came I got two doctors, in two states, so I was taking whatever amount I wanted to. 100-200 mg a day, who knows really, I didn't keep track.
So,
two and half years go by, and things were REAL BAD,
I cold turkey quit I don't know HOW MANY TIMES
at the end if I HAD them, I TOOK THEM,,,
I could not for some reason, "take as perscribed"
it was just NOT good for ME.
so,,
suboxone,
I get "in" to see the sub dr. and HE says Ive GOT to get UNDER 100mg for at least two weeks, then
down to 50mg or LESS for a week
before he'll switch me.
WELL
this is how it went....... I tried, I did,,, really tried.
BUT
week one 150mg (maybe more?) day
week two 100mg /day
day 7, 80mg
day 6 70mg
60mg,
you get the idea, right?
so the fourth day before I started subs, I took forty mg, and the next TWO days< I shot
dillauded and/or oxy's in my arm.;
the day before, I didn't take ANYTHING
and yes, it was HORRIBLE
and then,,,,,,
24mg suboxone later, things were "okay"

I didn't get a buzz, or anything, I still had pleny of MD w/d symptoms....... for months actually.
they were on/off, kind of like "PAWS"
I guess????
the doctor told ME<
that methadone w/d can last up to a year, for SOME PEOPLE, but the "average" about 6 months.

So,,,, here's the thing, for ME
suboxone HELPS MY PAIN,,,, not a whole lot, but way more than just motrin or anything else.
the doctor also Rx's me flexiril, which helps on "bad days"

and honestly,,,,,, my back hurts LESS NOW than when I was taking upwards of 150mg day of MD
seriously,,, Unbelievable, right?
It's true.
I know this is not everyone's experience, it's ONLY MINE
I'm on 12mg suboxone, now.
and it works,,,
my "official diagnosis" for my back, is arthritus, of course, and also there's no cartlidge in my lower back
so the vertebrea basicall rub together and my nerves pinch, I can feel it all the way to my ankles,,,,
one side is always worse than the other, though.
ANYWAYS,
the first few weeks, switching from MD to suboxone, was about the MOST PAIN I've EVER experienced, it was like
my entire body was SCREAMING for what it had gotten used to.
But ,,,
within two weeks or so,
I started feeling better, less and less pain.

I don't know where your "at" with your decision, but this has been MY experience, Im not saying it'll be YOURS
and be THANKFUL, very thankful you've already gotten down to such a LOW DOSE.
I could never quit the methadone, longer than 5-7 days, before suboxone.
My legs, it was my legs that just never stopped hurting. like the muscles in my legs?
hard to explain, but it sucked!!!
okay,
i'm rambling now.
if you have ANY questions for ME, don't hesitate to ask,
don't be embarrased I wish I would have had someone to ask, before I made my decision.

oh, and it's been 21 months as of the 14th.
No slips, all suboxone and non-narcotics.
(longest Ive had, since age 15)

[marq=right] GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/marq]

please share what your decision/experiences are and will be, IF YOU FEEL UP TO IT.

there's lots and lots of support here.

thanks for letting ME share.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

(sorry this got sooooo freaking long!!!)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/