It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to site/sobox
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
I am beginning my 4th day on Sobox, 2 8m/day. I had been using pills for nearly 20 years. I successfully put myself through 'self detox' and would have been one year clean March 2010, but relapsed in February. My self detox occurred after college graduation, lots of dreams and hopes and will power. I had a month of 'free time' before my new career, and locked myself in the house to be sick. I NEVER want to experience that again. Too bad I couldn't keep that fresh in my mind before relapse, it is what it is i guess.
I am not certain if i can handle Sobox, though it is only day 4, so I'm hoping I start getting used to it. It makes me incredibly tired, and I travel a lot for work, I find myself forcing my eyes to stay open. I am quite irritable as well. The fatigue itself is what is making me have cravings again. Gosh, I hope this levels out.
Nobody knows of my problems. I sneak from work to go to the doctor to have this treated. I am very thankful that there is a site available for people like us. And people like myself, who have nobody to share the struggle with.
Can anybody please tell me if my side effects are simply part of what sobox feels like? will they level out? I am concerned and I definitely do not want to go back to pills, God no I don't.
Anyhoo, I'm carrying on. I'll be around for sure, thanks for having me. And thank you for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Peter and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on starting suboxone and entering addiction remission. I'm sorry you're having a hard time stabilizing and having some side effects. Couple of things....First, you might still adjust to the dose you're on. It's still quite early on in your treatment and it's not unusual for people to take a week or so to adjust. Just give it some time. You said you take 16 mg a day, correct? Do you take it all at once or twice a day? For the moment you should stick with the dosage your doctor has prescribed, but if in a couple of weeks you don't level out you could always try to reduce your dose. Ideally you want to dose only once daily. And like I said, if you don't feel better in a couple of weeks, it's possible that 12 mgs or even less might make you feel better. With that said, please know I'm not a doctor or a medical professional of any sort.

Again, I'd like to welcome you to the forum. I hope you like it here and stick around and keep posting. Please do let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello hatmaker. Thank you for the kind reply. Yes, I take one 8mg twice a day. Usually one in the morning and one in the afternoon. My doctor is seeing me again this Thursday, one week after beginning. It was tough, I have gone forever without health insurance, and began receiving it through work July 1st, so this is a new doctor. It was hard just meeting the man and then having to throw all of my issues at him. Thankfully he is a non-judgemental guy, and seems to want to help me. He had me see a sobox intake nurse last week, before beginning the treatment. She is going to set me up with a psycho-therapist as well. Very very helpful. I feel very lucky to have this medical team work with me. Is this intake nurse a common thing with sobox program?
Again, thank you for the reply. It's amazingly relieving to be able to even mention this stuff to someone. I feel like a turncoat, I work as a social worker, serving those with various disabilities from Mental Retardation to Drug addiction. To carry this 'lie' around is quite tiring. This outlet (this site) may be the difference for me in winning this battle, and I'm grateful to be a part of it. Again I am rambling. Nerves, lol.
Thanks again!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's great that you have what sounds like such a competent and caring medical team. I've personally never heard of such an "intake nurse", but I think the idea is a good one. So is the therapy. I think you'll find it to be invaluable when learning new coping skills - learning to deal with feelings that have been numb for so long and without self-medicating. I know my therapy has been so helpful to me in strengthening my recovery, self-confidence, and happiness.

You're right it can be very difficult to share your innermost "secrets" with a complete stranger. Before I became disabled, I too worked in the social work field with the same population as you described. Recently I met with an employment counselor to help me get started back with part time work. Well, I was also in the position of needing to share all my challenges and struggles with him. It was uncomfortable at first, but it was one of those things that had to be done if he was to help me in the best way possible.

I'm really glad you've found the forum - it's been so important in my recovery. I hope you get as much out of the community as I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Peter,

Just wanted to say welcome to this site, it is so great to be able to ask questions or tell your issues and get feedback, with out being judged! I am fairly new to this site and only 4 months on subs, but have found this site so helpful. I too have kept my addiction a secret to most people so I certainly know how you feel. I work in a big company which works with young children and families with many disabilities also.

As far as your dosing issues I was/am prescribed a very high dose {20mgs} and found it was way to high. After many problems {sleepy, irritable, and dizzy mostly}, I reduced my dose down to 8mgs daily split in two am and afternoon and seemed to have leveled out now.

Good luck any questions ask here the people here are great! Congradulations and best wishes!! Keep us posted! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Hancal,
Today, I believe I am going to take half of my prescribed dose before I head to work. Hopefully this won't upset the doctor. 2 8m a day is proving too much. today is day 5, I would think it would have leveled out. I need to be focused at work. I guess I'll bring the other half to work with me just in case.
At day 5, I'm starting to understand Sobox a little more. I have pretty much fallen out of the rhythm of obsessing over having opiates. And my attention seems to be falling on the sobox, and somewhat luckily, the sobox hasn't been very comfortable. So instead of taking pills up to 5 times a day, I'm doing it twice. So that psychological pattern is shifting already. Thank god. So hopefully it may be easier for me to wean off of this. I tend to jump into things head first though, so I better just stick with the doctor on this one, or take the chance of losing my supports.
I'm still going to try and take half of the prescribed 8m dose today, and see how it goes.
Any advice on this? It won't mess me up to change the quantity on my own will it?
And lastly, I hope I'm not using this post improperly, if so, somebody please say the word!
Thanks for letting me rant, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're posting correctly, so don't worry about that. You should do fine cutting your dose in half. 8 mg is still above the ceiling limit. Dosing once per day is the ideal, to get us out of the habit of taking a pill every time we feel bad. I hope cutting your dose makes you feel better, less sleepy. Please let us know later how your day went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Peter,

I'm glad your feeling a little better today and really hope that cutting your dose down will help you as much as it did me. As far as your Dr. being upset about you not taking your full dose I highly doubt he would be. Most if not all Dr.s would be pleased to see that your on a lower dose. I have found for me 8mgs has worked the best for me. That way if anything happens later I have a few stached away, I am prescribed 20mgs. {I am sure some people will think that is wrong but I like to be prepared} Also I have been on Subs for a little over 4 months now and still can't dose once a day. I split my 8mgs into a.m and afternoon, I no that I need to try to dose once a day, but am well aware that I am not ready for that yet. I need to do whats best for me, I am hopeful that in time I will figure that out, its better than the 30 times a day I was doing on my DOC.

I am praying that you are having a better day today, let us know how it went!! Tonight is chat at 9:00 if your free stop by I have always found it helpful!!