It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on opiates since 1971 for pain and became very addicted. My tolerance is high and the opiates just do not help with the pain anymore. I found relief with Suboxone from my addiction and have found that it helps me with the pain most days. I have just went down to 8mg per day (one film each am) and now I have some days that the pain is getting bad. The Suboxone saved my life and I am working hard at learning to live again. I have for the most part very few cravings and have no withdraw symptoms but I need to address the pain issues to improve the quality of life. After several surgeries for Crohns disease, surgery to rebuild 3rd & 4th vertebrae in neck and surgery to remove tumor in lower groin I am starting feel much better but most days I can barley make it. I do not want to go back to opiates form the doctor and or start using street drugs again. My son passed away January 31, 2015 from a overdose and I need to get better for my family. I am only 59 yrs. old and need to have productive days for my 8 yr. old granddaughter. Is there any assistance with dosing?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome to the Forum rclark! I am also 59 and was on the pills for pain. Although more will come along with better experience to help you, I do have one bit of advice. Would it be possible to start dosing twice per day? Apparently the analgesia effect lasts about 6 hours from Suboxone. I dose twice per day for my pain.

I have also found that as I lower my dose, I'm getting less relief from my pain. I use 400 mg Motrin & aspirin to help. I agree that the pills are not the answer for my pain.

Best of luck to you and I'm sorry that you're in such pain.

Also, I am so very sorry for the loss of your son.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would think 2 x a day would be the option for you, too. I think it is true that the analgesia properties of bupe are much shorter lasting than its ability to keep w/ds at bay. I have pretty severe dental problems and I usually go a month without pain, then something changes in a tooth and I go with a month of severe pain, and cycle. I was put on 8mg 3x a day and I have not had any pain since induction. I have not touched a single ibuprophen. It used to take 8 tablets of ibuprophen to help the tooth pain and I was always afraid of the damage I was doing to my body.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

DeeKay and Iggy,
Thanks for your input and feedback. This site helps me beyond belief. Going to attempt to research and educate myself on dosing and the ceiling effect of (bup) Suboxone. My experience has been very positive and just life saving for me. I decided to take your advice and take one 4mg dose twice a day instead of 8 mg each am. I just started to divide the dose today and will see how it goes. I will attempt to update and get feedback from my doctor but not sure how much he knows about buprenorphine and pain management. Again thanks for the information and kind words.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:34 am 

Hello rclark welcome!

I don't have any real pain issues other than a bad back that flares up here and there, so I'm not experienced personally with the pain control and suboxone. Most ppl here on the forum that do have pain say that splitting their doses throughout the day is the best way to do it. I just wanted to welcome u to the forum and if u have any questions just ask :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm 

Hi RClark, Welcome! I got hooked on tramadol that I was prescribed for osteoarthritis in my knees. I started taking more and more and buying off of the internet. Then they changed the schedule of drug for trams making them very hard to find. That is how I started suboxone. I started at 8mgs, three times a day. It helped with withdrawal, osteoarthritis, and depression that I was dealing with as a result of menopause. I have decreased my dose and I am now at 2mgs twice per day. I wish you relief from your pain! Good luck! Please keep us informed as to how you are!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all of you for your input. This is the third day at 4mg twice per day. For now I am doing well regarding any cravings or withdraw issues. The pain issues are leveling off and I can at least stay active and have a somewhat positive day. Again I appreciate your help and I am so glad I found this site. This forum has helped me get educated on buprenorphine and for the first time I am committed to getting better. I guess it is never to late to teach a old dog new a new trick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm 

Some physicians, including mine, recommend that you split your dose into 4 and take a portion of your buprenorphine every 6 hours or so. This is what I do on days when the chronic pain I experience flares up. Splitting up your dose seems particularly effective when you are at or below 4 to 6mg, but I would follow that course anyway. Just a suggestion! Welcome to the forum! I know I haven't welcomed you yet, so I wanted to say hi!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

HI RCLARK .... today is my first day on here so I am ew as well. I also am on 4-6 mg daily maybe 8 in a few weeks. Been on since 2009 because of large doses of opiates because of 4 back surgeries. I am so happy I found this site everyone seems so helpful and nice. I wish u luck. We are all in this together .