It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
I just found this site and wanted to check in about my taper and where I am now. I was on 4mg/day for 7 years. My doctor kicked me off recently for going on a bender using various substances. I went from 4mg to .5 in about 3 weeks. I found that I could not handle getting lower than .5 before I ran out, as I needed to be functional because of taking care of kids.

My kids are with their dad for the next few days (and he has offered to keep them for longer if necessary if I am still feeling shitty, which I fully expect to be the case). My doctor has given me a a few drugs to help with wd symptons, tizanadine, hydroxyz, and requip. I also have a few xanax. I am feeling reasonable at the moment but I have absolutely zero energy. I can't even bring myself to get up and wash the dishes. I feel fortunate to have these meds, but am still terrified of getting through the coming days.

Any feedback is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Iwould like to welcome you to the forum, although I wish it were under better circumstances. It sucks that you've relapsed, yes, but I thinks it sucks worse that your doctor has expelled you from treatment for something that is generally a symptom of the disease of addiction; relapse,(especially if you don't feel ready to stop taking sub) which in my mind, calls for more intense treatment or perhaps a dose adjustment, instead of altogether dismissal, although admittedly, I don't know your particular situation or relapse history, soooo........

Having said that, it's good that you'll have help with your children in the coming days, as you'll feel pretty run down and will need the break. It at least sounds like your doc gave you some decent meds to cope with the withdrawal anyway. Many have reported that detoxing from buprenorphine isn't as intense as detoxing from full agonists, but lasts a bit longer, so hopefully, you won't have it to bad. I know from what I've read others say that staying as active as possible and staying hydrated will help quite a bit also. Others who've been through what you're going to be going through have also said that posting, the act of reaching out to others also helped them. You can read some of the threads in the stopping suboxone section of the forum to get an idea of what may or may not be ahead for you, as everyone's experience is different. My advice is to avoid reading any horror stories on the web. They're often exaggerated and won't help a bit.

I haven't been through a sub detox, however I didn't want your post to go unanswered, and I'm sure someone who's been there will be along soon to advise or at least encourage. I wish you the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:28 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

[quote="lizzieshug2013"]It sucks that you've relapsed, yes, but I thinks it sucks worse that your doctor has expelled you from treatment for something that is generally a symptom of the disease of addiction; relapse,(especially if you don't feel ready to stop taking sub) which in my mind, calls for more intense treatment or perhaps a dose adjustment, instead of altogether dismissal, although admittedly, I don't know your particular situation or relapse history, soooo.......[/quote]

It happens a lot especially if the "bender" involves substances other than opiates. I went in on my first visit to my addiction doctor with 5 substances found in my urinalysis. I had hydrocodone, morphine (not heroin), cocaine, benzo (xanax) and suboxone. I explained to the doc I had a 4 month fling with the coke and only took the xanax to level out the coke buzz. My regular opiates at the time was vicodin and IR morphine pills. The suboxone was in there because I'd use suboxone when my pills weren't available which was quite often. The doc said he gave the 3 strike rule and I never failed a test. I got serious after starting the suboxone treatment. A buddy of mine couldn't give up his weed, so he didn't last long. He always bugged the shit out of me for mine

Youwotmate, I wish you well on your jump. It's a day by day thing and the lack of energy is hard to deal with especially if your day requires you to have energy....like having kids. It's purely mental unless you're not eating right. I'm still new to my jump, so I'm sure there's more qualified people here to help you through this hard time. Hang in there....you can do it! Just wanted to show my support.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's unfortunately very common for practices to dismiss patients for relapse, especially if it's a more than once scenario. Some docs aren't as strict about Marijuana as others are, but have the goal in mind that perhaps the patient will eventually want to give it up on his or her own. I have also heard of places that have a sort of 3 strike system in place for positive UAs. In some cases I think this is a good idea because maybe that particular person needs more intensive addiction care than that Dr can provide, in which case, I think an appropriate referral and taper schedule should be provided to the patient. Some people will also say that since there's a cap on the number of patients a dr can have on sub, that those spots should be filled by people who are more ready for recovery than those who still use other substances despite being on suboxone and having rules in their programs. I guess both points of view have some validity,and I don't know which, if either is right per se, but something about kicking the sickest patients out of treatment doesn't exactly sit well with me.
But, as long as there's a cap on the number of patients, and a dim general public view of medication assisted treatment, it is what it is, I guess. I hope things change for the better soon so more people who need help can get it.