It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone! I am brand new to the site and I just want to say that I absolutely love it! I am brand new to suboxone and of course I had a million questions, all to which I was able to find answers on by looking through the posts! I really appreciate all of you!! Thank you!!
I have a question of my own! I have been on subs for 7 days now. The first two days made me feel pretty normal. The only difference was I wanted to chain smoke like crazy! Now that has worn off and I just feel normal every day. I have a problem though, the past two days after about 10 minutes of taking the sub I get a severe headache. I'm taking one 8mg film in the morning and I've been fine all week but these past two days my head is absolutely killing me. I was wondering if I should split the strip in 2 and take half in the am and half at night? I go back to the dr tomorrow and I'm pretty sure he's going to cut me down a little.
The goal of my detox program is to slowly taper me off and I'm really scared of the withdrawals from subs. Can anyone give me any advice to tapering off?

Anyways thanks so much for all the posts and everything in the forums! You guys are awesome!

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 pm 

Hi Kelly, and Welcome to our forum! You found the right place for anything about Suboxone.

We've had this question before about the headaches. You are correct in assuming that your dose is a bit high. Some others might tell you to spit out the saliva built up after dosing so you don't swallow the Naloxone. Most all incidents have been because the dose was too high.

You didn't mention your use of abusing opiates so I will assume it was pain pills that got you on Suboxone. Right? If so, a daily dose of 4 mgs should do the trick. You don't need the other 4 mg's later on. Believe me, 4 is enough. We also condone taking your dose only once a day, preferably in the morning around 9 or 10 AM. That way you don't start thinking about the late afternoon dose. That was how we thought when we were using drugs.

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion and I am no expert.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your response! Yes it was pain pills that got me to where I am today. I was prescribed them after I broke my back in a car accident and was on them for a few months. I work full time and there's no way I thought I could work with the pain. I didn't even realize I had a problem because I was taking them as prescribed, but I didn't take any for a day and got so so sick and that's when I knew it was bad. I have decided that I need to find other options for my back and leg pain and that suboxone would help me get off the pills. It was scary how sick I got, especially when a doctor was the one who gave me the pills! (I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon on Wednesday so fingers crossed!!)
I went to my doctor today and I was hoping he would cut me down a little bit but he told me to keep taking the one a day for at least another week, so I'm going to cut down on my own! I definitely like the fact you mentioned to take the subs only once a day. I am so used to popping something when I start to feel pain, that I actually found myself getting restless when I had nothing to take. So I think the once a day thing will definitely help break my habits.
I still feel like I'm not taking the sub correctly. I have watched a thousand online videos and talked to the pharmacist, and he told me to let the spit/foam absorb into my mouth, but it doesn't! I don't swallow for at least 15 minutes but it doesn't matter what I do with the spit, it doesn't "absorb!" I have been swallowing it after 15 minutes but I will definitely take your advice and try spitting it out.
Thank you for your response, you have no idea how much I appreciate you and everyone on the site! You've all been lifesavers! :D :D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good Morning!!!

well I got those horrific headaches, too.... But for me,,, it only lasted maybe two weeks? could've been just a little bit longer, but not much!!!
I hope that's how it is for YOU, as well....

As for you other questions,,, I'm gonna post some videos below my text here, and Hopefully that will help explain some things,,,,,, I KNOW it sure HELPED ME FIGURE STUFF OUT!!!!!

about the tapering,,,,,
FIRST let me say,,, right now you should probly bea whole lot more worried about getting "on" a stable
dose, and you know breaking that whole "a pill equals reward" or compulsion to take SOMETHING, all the time... I had "planned" on beig on sub,,,, maybe a year total, and going off, but here it is ALMOST 27 months,
and I'm on about 8mg/day..... Im fine with that, and don't plan on changing anything anytime soon.... You never know what LIFE will throw at you..... seriously, mine's been pretty much a roller coaster ride the last six months. But here I am, STILL OFF THE PILLS!!! so that's HUGE for me, considering I was on them for almost ten years, and using needles at the end.....

you know there's been a whole LOT of people who do a really good taper, I think the "key" to feeling no withdrawls, is to do a long, SLOW, STABLE, and VERY GRADUAL taper...
so MOST people seem to get frustrated or fed up,,
with all the waiting, and cutting and micro doses, and then end up jumping off higher than they had planned......
so I think it's different for every single person......

Okay here's the videos and if there's ANYTHING else I can help with, just let me know, K???

I'm glad you found the site and I hope the headaches subside, AND best of luck to you, in your JOURNEY....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2CQ94aXDoQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RASNQrfa3ig[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMcXOTj1z8[/youtube]

Here's one of my favorites......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE0FLHpru8U[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This video here really helps explain suboxone, in MY opinion,,,, the ceiling effect was really hard
for me to "get" until I watched this.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqjJGoSQgc[/youtube]

here's a bit more on How it works.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls1F6vNhYw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqn5qDdpzfk[/youtube]

Link to all the videos, or the "playlist"

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuboxDoc/videos

hope this helps!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Videos
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:37 pm 

Thanks Amber for posting all the videos of Dr. J. When I was fairly new to this site I watched every one of them over a two day period. They sure answer a lot of questions.

Kelly, how are the headaches today?

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

IMO, for me i had the same exact thing. I've had migraines/headaches my whole life but suboxone made them horrible. I lowered my dose, tried Topamax (a migraine prevention medication) and a few other things. Lowering helped a little and seems like it does for a LOT of people. But, for me I needed to switch to subutex. That is just plain buprenorphine without the naloxone. That was what was causing me problems. It took me switching to a new doctor because the other one wouldn't believe the fact that that could be the cause. (I do feel a lot of suboxone doctors are not well enough educated about the medicine b/c this is a very common side effect I hear).

Anyways, if your doctor may be open to that, I would say go for it. It took me 6 months of really painful lingering headaches and the frequent splitting migraine that made me completely unable to do anything but lay in my bed in the dark and suffer. I also took all sorts of OTC meds, usually excedrin but I really didn't like the idea of taking that much APAP several times a day for 6 months.

Another option I would suggest trying if you can't get the subutex(there are generics for that as well which makes it much cheaper for me), would be the "spit-trick". Naloxone is not absorbed sublingually, if at all in it VERY miniscule(sp?). So what you do is keep your suboxone in your mouth for however long you do ( I usually did for 30-35 minutes but I am pretty sure that is not necessary, I was just always worried I wouldn't get my full dose especially since I was lower than in the past) and then spit out the remaining saliva mix. By swallowing it, the naloxone gets absorbed more to your body and could be causing the headaches. This actually did help me quite a bit.

Ultimately, what I needed was just plain buprenorphine and after 6 months of headaches, BAM! Just completely gone. I felt great and loved it. I was so annoyed that they couldn't switch me before, but I got the relief I needed. But, doctors try to avoid subutex just because it can be easily abused, so I guess you really got to gain their trust. If you were an IV user like I became, I think that makes it harder to get it because doctors think subutex can be IV'd and suboxone can't, which isn't even true technically.

Hope this helps, I know exactly what your dealing with.

FYI, the subutex is exactly the same for maintenance/taper/effects it just doesn't have that god awful naloxone. Also, suboxone has an aritificial sweetener which may have been what was causing my headaches since the spit-trick didn't really help me. But, it does for quite a few people I hear.

Either way, I would try the spit trick and/or possibly lowering the dose if you can yet. You are still pretty early in your treatment so you may not want to lower, but definitely try the spit trick. If still no luck, I'd ask your doc to try subutex.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all so much! The videos were super informative! I still have two more to watch but I absolutely love this guy!! Al of you and the videos have been far more helpful than my own doctor!!
The headaches have subsided a little bit, but that's because I cut my dose in half and take half in the am and half at night, but I would much rather just take it once a day so I will try the spit trick and let you know how it goes!
I went out drinking for the first time yesterday and let me tell you, not only did I feel so sick to my stomach I had a BANGING headache. It sucked! I don't have a drinking problem and like to enjoy an occasional drink and with it being the 4th yesterday I was really hoping to have a few beers with my BBQ! I can usually handle quite a few drinks and after two yesterday I just wanted to go home. Anyone else suffer from this??
Thank you everyone once again, you're all so great and helpful!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ha.
I know we are all addicts and have to figure this stuff out on our own for the most part, but this is why it is best to just take your suboxone and leave the rest. By the rest I mean all other drugs including weed and alcohol. Nothing but trouble and wishing you hadn't.

After being on suboxone alone for almost 27 months... I feel the best I've ever felt.

I used to tell myself I could just drink or just drink and smoke weed or some other seemingly innocent combination of drugs in comparison to opiates... I was successful at the whole drinking and stuff but that's not the point. Nobody doubts that you could probably stay on suboxone and drink and do whatever and not act totally insane like when using opiates. But. If you are living that lifestyle you are missing out on so much that an abstinent life has to off. You find other things that you enjoy along the way too. I guess my point is that you would be putting yourself in a bad place. Mentally, emotionally, and spirituallya. It's too close to living like an addict in my opinion. And sure. You can have that one or two glasses of wine at a family meal, but you don't need to "go out" regularly and drink or whatever. We need to change our behaviors totally and completely if we want any chance at getting better..... Just an aside.... I know someone is going to point out that we aren't abstinent if we take suboxone, but you totally understand what I mean. You don't go hang out with friends and crack open some films together if you catch my drift!!

Welcome to the forum though and I hope I didn't scare you away or seem too over the top, but I just want people to get better and not try for 6 years before finally getting it.... Kind of lol.

Read the docs blog too. It's very very informative about suboxone and what not.

Go to a meeting. See if you like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry. It posted before I finished completely....

Last thing as a bit for a new face to the forum and suboxone.....

Please do something for your recovery. Don't just take suboxone and let life come to you. Work on yourself. Change some things. That's how you get better and see the results you want to see. And that doesn't mean every waking moment of your life, but your life is at risk here! Work on it like your life depends on it!

Last. Again. Lol.

You have three choices living as an opiate addict.

You can keep using and die miserable.

You can completely immerse yourself in the 12 steps and do that whole fellowship thing to the fullest extent. Nothing else really but 12 step stuff.

You can be on drug replacement therapy, work on yourself/personality via some meetings or counseling. It's still not easy though.

That's it. Those are your options. I wish there was a word for an opiate addict version of a dry drunk. Because. There are many on suboxone that are exactly that. Taking suboxone, told how great they are doing just for taking it every day, and they still act exactly the same. If you change nothing you are still living in active addiction! This is why we have to work really hard because we are still taking an opiate.

Ahhh. I'll stop. But. Welcome. And I hope everything goes well for you in the coming months. Good luck and happy trails!

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry it's taken so long to reply! I haven't been on the site for a few days!
Moviemaker1, thank you!! You didn't scare me at all but I do really appreciate the advice! I do realize its not just about taking the strips and hoping everything would fall into place! I went to my very first meeting the day I went to the detox clinic and I've been trying to go either every day or every other day. I bought a few books and a few workbooks so that when I can't go to a meeting I do my own research. I realize its going to take a lot of effort on my part if I want to be happy while I'm sober!
To be honest I thought I'd have more in common with the NA people rather than the AA people, but in my city, the few NA meetings I've gone to are like a suicide circle! Everyone was so so depressed! I know they aren't all the same and I have to go to a few to find the one I like, but I seem to like the vibes in the AA meetings more!
Anyways, I just thought you might like to hear a little of what I'm doing!! I do really appreciate all the advice, makes me feel a lot less lonely and it's nice that people can actually relate with me!
My headaches seemed to have fully subsided, unless I smoke or drink!! Probably my body telling me that those are bad things!! But upon taking the medicine I have no headache! I have been drinking more water and sometimes I take Aleve 30 minutes before I take the sub. I think my body is just having a hard time adjusting too everything. I've been beating it up pretty bad and it probably just needs a good old rest!
Anyways, thank uuuuu everyone <3

Post subject: @Kelly_mullaney6286
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Kelly,
I've been on subs now for almost eight months; the initial month of my program I too had headaches. My doctor said it was from the flavor ~orange~ and that I would eventually get used to it; which I did. As for tapering off so quickly, I couldn't do it. For me, and many others, this suboxone thing is a maintenance program that will most likely last a very long time. Since being on this site I have learned that many doctors are attempting to begin detoxing their patients as soon as they begin the program. That just doesn't make sense to me. Giving an opinion from a heroin addict of 12 years, and a fourth year psychology major ~ studying to become a substance abuse counselor~ I can safely say that the brains of long-term heroin/pain pills addicts just don't work like that! For many of us, we can't go from a major addiction to a detox program and than.... BAM...just quit. Even with a sllloooowwwww detox you're still going to go through the nasty shit withdrawals. It might not be as intense~ hence the tapering off~ but it will still suck..bad enough for many to say fuck it and relapse with their chosen poison. That is why, IN MY OPINION & MY DOCTORS OPINION, a long term maintenance program is essential for a safe, relapse free, suboxone experience. For me, suboxone has saved not only my college education and my soon to be career, but it probably saved my life. I know my reply is a bit late to your initial post, but I hope you still get a chance to read what I had to say. God Bless and good luck with your experience on suboxone.

Post subject: @Jenny
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well let me first just say...welcome to the forum Kelly! You have come to the right place to gain support and answers to your questions!

A question for Jenny though....what are the rules regarding being a substance abuse counselor and suboxone? Just curious. Would you need to complete a full taper in order to get a position as a substance abuse counselor?