It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to this..
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. I am new to this. I dont know if this is the appropriate place to post this or not but here goes...
I am 35 and have been taking pain pills for the last 3-4 years. I dont know when I became addicted to them, I just did. I have used Meth, Pot, alcohol, but my drug is defiantly pills. I am up to takingas many as 10-12 Hydrocordone 10/325s a day now. Recently I started taking 2 Oxy 20's a day when dont have the hydro's.I am calling tomarow to reach a doctor in my area for the Subutex. I dont know what does i should take or if thisdrug will completely eliminate my w/d symptoms but ANYTHING is better than what I felt the last time I tried to quit! Any advice?? Can you take it with xanax, as precribed of cource, or muscel relaxers? Or maybe I wont even need them with this?? Has anyone takenVivitrol or tropirimate also?? Any suggestions or help would be great!

Im very scared about quiting tomarow..
Thanks, Melissa357

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Melissa -

I moved this from the old post where you originally replied so you would have your own thread.

Your withdrawals will definitely be addressed by subutex (or Suboxone, whichever you are prescribed). There are lots of people who took much higher doses of opiates and sub works great for them.

Xanax can be dangerous to take with suboxone, just make sure ALL of your doctors know you are taking it and what dose. Be sure to take it only as prescribed. It can further depress your respiratory system, thus the danger.

I also take muscle relaxers along with my sub, so you'll be fine there.

So if I understand correctly you haven't yet scheduled an appointment yet? I understand your fear and it's totally normal. It's a huge change, but one that is definitely for the better. I'm glad you found this forum and I hope you find the support and information you're looking for. Welcome!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mel

Yes subutex or suboxone will take away your WDs 100%. As of useing a benzon on sub. its not the best idea but as long as your sub. dr knows this b4 you start sub you should be fine but like hat said you have to make sure all your drs know about this cause it could be a very dangerous. as of muscle relaxers yes you can take them with sub but there is a chance that the sub might be enough for your pain to go with out.

But you will be fine with sub for your WDs. I was on 200mgs of oxy for 4 years when i started suboxone and had no issues was the best thing that ever happen to me when it came to quiting!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks guys. That makes me feel better. However with my insurance, they told me that I have to pay d3eductibloe so pretty much have to pay full cost and I think its like $100 bucks or more. Do you know if medicaid in Iowa covers it, cuz I may qualify for it due to my loosing my job, Or do you know of any help with paying for it? What doseage would be good for me?

Thanks, ANY imput would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is a patient assistance program, but it's only for people with no insurance at all. As for the dose you should be taking, that is up to the doctor. S/he will determine that based on your medical and addiction history. Some people are started off at 8 mg or lower, and other up as high as 24 mg. Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks hat, it did. I have insurance now thats ending No9v. 30th. I should qualify for medicaid cuz I just lost my job and medicaid goes back and pays last 3 months.-IF they will cover it..Unfortunatly I dont think il have it THIS month .:( Also, i read sum where it may take time to get into the doc OR the doc can only take som many of Subone patients, is this true?
ThYT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Doctors are allowed to have 30 sub patients their first year, but up to 100 after that. Sometimes it is hard to get in right away, but not always. I found my doctor on the naabt.org doctor locator. He got me in fairly quickly and now he's my primary care doctor and takes my insurance for everything. So it can work out well for you. Don't get discouraged ahead of time. Yes, it might take several phone calls (if not more) to find a doctor, but start out being optimistic. That will take you farther. Good luck and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the forum.

We can all surely understand your being scared, I'm sure every one of us on this site was scared silly about the idea of switching to Suboxone too. Fear of the unknown, fear of withdrawal. Don't be scared, if anything you should be excited about soon being able to put down the Oxy's/Hydro's (the rollercoaster ride) and stabilize on Suboxone.

Suboxone will eliminate all of the withdrawals because it too is an opiate, but it is only a partial agonist so it treats the opiate receptors differently than the Hydro's or Oxy's. Suboxone does not 'tweak' the receptor as hard as the other drugs. Once on Suboxone, you will find it easier to taper your use down (if you so desire) to the point where you stop taking them. Many people stay on Suboxone long term, many people wish to be on them the rest of their life...it will be up to you what you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok guys, the soonest I found out i can get in is Dec.28th for teh Subonoxe. My question is should I have my primary physican prescribe me Methadone in the mean time or jsut keep taking hydros till then?? im afraid If i take the methadone, i may get addicted to that and then make things worse, but if thats not true and it works good to, please tell me!! Thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you truly can't take the withdrawals until your appointment, I'd stick to the hydros. Methadone is harder to transition over to suboxone than hydros, etc. They are very short acting compared to methadone's long half life. I'd avoid the methadone if at all possible. That's just my opinion though.

Also, did you ask to be put on a cancellation list? You just never know, you might very well be able to get in sooner that way.
Or you could go ahead and make that appointment and keep calling other doctors to try to get in sooner. This way you'd have a few irons in the fire.

I'm glad you at least got an appointment, even if it's not soon enough (yet). Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your help. I have been reading about methadone to and agree that I dont think I will get on that. i am just frustrated because i want to stop this addiction roller coaster sooner but I guess at least I have an appointment set...Do you think my primary physician can do anything for me while I wait? I am so excitedd about this medicine and so glad I found out about it. I cant believe tho, that my primary physican didnt tell me about it last April when i quit cold turkey and went threw HELL. I was only clean about a month. Maybe he didnt know about it IDK, I didnt have anything 2 weeks ago for two days and literly could not take the w/d. I lost all hope after that thinking I would be addicted forever. Its such a blessing I found out about this and this forum! :) I wonder if my physician 2ill pre3scribeme some hydros while I wait LOL.. knowing Im addicted, I doubt that.. Just scared cuz Im almost out now and dont know anyone who has any :(
Thanks again for your imput.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Most primary care physicians are not authorized to prescribe buprenorhine for addiction. There is actually a class they must take and then a test to pass for certification. So, I am not sure that your family doctor can do much for you unless he is willing to prescribe bupe off-label for "pain" - and I'll tell you right now that most doctors won't do that. Mine looked at me like I was nuts when I asked him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good luck to you!!! If I were you I would just stick with hydro till you get on suboxone. You won't believe how much better you will feel when you start. I have been on for almost 6 weeks and it's truly remarkable how much better I feel. I have gained about 18 pounds to I eat and sleep much better. And it is such a relief that I don't have to worry about who can I call to get dope how will I get money and how can I hide it from my family. It's a miracle drug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Melissa,
I am also in Iowa, des moines. I have a great sub doc, maybe you could get in sooner if you are in the area. If interested send me a pm. Good luck, and yes I would stay on hydro instead of methadone. The transition is much easier from short acting opiates speaking from experience.

Jimmy