All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need Some Help!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum, but am very excited to get some serious feedback!! I need help with tappering. I am currently on 8mgs daily and want to get off as soon as possible. I just jumped from 12mg to 8mg and had no problems, so I'm thinking about jumping down to 4, and then taking it slow? I would love to talk to anyone about this personally or just on this forum.

Thank you all so much for taking your time to help!
-EMM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey E MM,

Welcome to the forum!!

Generally we tell people to make dose reductions of 25% while over 4mg, then 10% dose reductions at and under 4mg.

Seeing as you already jumped from 12mg to 8mg and didn't have any problems, I'm more inclined to tell you to try going for 4mg instead of dropping by 25%. If you encounter problems, you can always go back up.

How long ago did you jump from 12mg to 8mg? Suboxone has a long half life (37 hours or so) and it usually takes several days to feel the full effects of the lower dose.

Good luck and I hope you stick around. Lots and lots of good info and people on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Romeo!!

Thanks so much for responding!! I dropped from 12mg to 8mg a week and a half ago. I absolutely LOVE this forum already and people have been so kind with sharing and talking with me. I had a tiny bit of trouble staying asleep, but nothing crazy at all... The worst part for me, when I have gone through withdrawal from percocet (technically roxicodone bc they were 30mg) was the restless leg syndrome and the overall antsiness. So, I am going to try and go down to 4mg, starting tomorrow. I will definitely let you know how it goes and feel free to message me! I am very, very hopeful to successfully get off of suboxone altogether. I know once I get down to 4mg and less, I need to take it slow, so I will probably do 4mg, 3mg, 2mg, then even more slow... 1.75mg, 1.5mg, 1.25mg, etc. If you guys have any tips for me or anything at ALL, please let me know!! This is my first time on Suboxone and I started it in May. I was taking 30mg of percocet 5-6 times daily and was able to detox from that on my own a few times, but kept going back. I am a bit worried, as I have heard people say that the withdrawal from suboxone is much worse than from percocet or other opiates. Has anyone successfully come off of suboxone completely?

Thank you all so much!!
XoXo and God Bless!
-Emm

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We've had lots of people on this site get off of Suboxone. I've been off for well over two years now.

You should check out the "Stopping Suboxone" section or the "Bupe in the Rearview" section for some additional information.

As for Suboxone being harder to get off of than our regular pain meds, I don't agree with that. I think Suboxone wd is not as intense as regular pain med wd, but Suboxone wd does seem to last longer. If you taper, you can minimize your wd greatly. We've had people on here who have jumped from high doses of Suboxone, we've had people on here who have tapered all the way down to .0625mg of Suboxone and we've had everyone in between too. The most consistent theme is the people who are able to taper down to very low doses have minimal wd.

It looks like you've been on Suboxone for about 5 months. During that time, have you done any work with any kind of addiction counselor or done any NA? I ask because you mentioned the other times you got off of opiates, you went back. What are you going to do different this time so you don't go back to opiates? When I got off Suboxone, I swore off opiates forever.....well, forever lasted about 9 months, then I slipped. Long story short, I had to change. I finally got serious about recovery and have been doing good now. I highly recommend some kind of recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi :)

Just wanted to reply and give a little update. First about my tapering, I am now on 6mg, and will be going down to 4mg on Thursday. I haven't had too many symptoms thus far and hope that continues. As far as counseling goes, I have been seeing an addictions counselor for the past 5-6 months and I am meeting with a sponsor tomorrow and then going with her to a meeting. So, I am hoping to meet more people and make connections and find more in person support.

So that is all I have for right now :) if anyone has any suggestions or advice for my taper down from 6 and lower, please let me know!!
Thanks everyone!!
Emm