It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:01 am 

Hello, I have been lurking for a while now and tried several times to post without success until yesterday! I started suboxone last August when it became impossible to find tramadol on line due to the new law. I have osteoarthritis and had a legal script but it was not enough. I got to the point of taking 30 to 40 50 mil pills a day! I was also starting to deal with menopause which made me feel blah so....well you know how it goes! Suboxone has been a life changer for me. I was never looking to feel high...just good about life in general. The symptoms of menopause and the chronic pain of osteoarthritis arthritis was robbing me of a that. Suboxone has helped with not only the addiction to tramadol but the pain in my knees and the depression that came along with menopause. I love that there is a place for me to come and talk about this. Only my husband and one close friend know about my suboxone us. I am a Social Worker so I am in and out of 12 step meetings all the time. I have always worked the steps in my private life without anyone really knowing. It just gives me extra support! Thank you for listening!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:07 am 

Hi Michelle and welcome to posting!

It's amazing how different addiction can be for different people! I have had tramadol sitting in a drawer since before I started suboxone. I used it when my percocet prescription ran out every month. The reason I ratted myself out and started recovery was because I couldn't stand to take the tramadol every month. It made my heart race and I never, ever got high from it.

I'm glad you were successful at posting and hope that you'll stay around!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Michelle

Welcome to the forum! I also have found good pain relief and success on sub (I take zubsolv -a generic sub)

Just had a minute and wanted to welcome you

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:15 am 

Hi Amy and Tiki, Thanks for the welcome. I switched to tramadol from violin because my Mom takes it and she is in recovery. Well, if I am completely honest, I knew I got a buzz from it! The wds from it were horrible. I could handle all the physical stuff but that feeling of darkness and there being no joy in anything I could not handle! That's how I started suboxone! I am so lucky to have found a wonderful Doctor. It costs me 120.00 a month for the visit and to get my script filled.i was spending hundreds of dollars a month buying trams online. I am so happy those days are over.I am ashamed to say that I would troll people's medicine cabinets looking to feed my addiction. I had gastric bypass surgery years ago and feel that my addiction to trams started by not being able to get a buzz from alcohol any more. Not that I was a big drinker, but enjoyed wine with friends when going out. When the wine didn't work,I turned to pills. It started with just a half of a vic, perc, roxy whatever was around. The half was all I needed. I never lost control or was even really high. Just feeling good. We'll that's how it all started. Thanks for taking the time to listen. I hope you both have a wonderful holiday weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have had bad back issues for years. I would get a script for pain pills and threw more out then I took. I did this for 20 years. Never had a problem, until my doctor said take one pill before the pain gets bad. Yep , that was pretty much the end for me.

Bupe (I take zubsolv ) has given me my life back.

Glad to hear you are doing well!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:36 pm 

Hi Everyone, just wanted to say that today is my second day in a row at 8mgs. I am so happy with myself! I pray that I can stay here for a few weeks and then try 6 mgs. I get hung up on the dosing when I start to feel pain or even just stressed. I really am trying to talk myself out of that behavior! Or at the very least take advil instead! Can anyone identify with this? It's the feeling of wanting a fix. Uggh I hate that I got myself into being addicted to something! I hate the depression that comes with withdrawl! And that feeling of homelessness! I can easily handle all the physical stuff! Oh well, thanks for listening...again! Hope you are having a wonderful night!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:38 pm 

*hopelessness!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:55 pm 

Hi Michelle! The feeling of wanting to dose with something when we're not feeling great mentally or physically is very common among addicts, so people here understand that impetus. :) You're definitely not alone there.

Congratulations for the progress you've made!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:07 pm 

Thanks Amywip, by the way, I love your name! I tried to do Michelle wip but it was too long! Anyway, thank you for the kind and supporting words! Only two people in my life know about suboxone so being able to reach out to people here and find support is a real blessing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:16 pm 

Hey Michelle!!

Like Amy said, it's an addict thing to think that any little cramp or stress needs to be fixed asap. That's exactly how I am. I'm so used to the "quick fix" that I can't even handle a cold anymore lol. And I've had children!! When I get stressed out or anxious, same thing. It has gotten better over the yrs but I'm still a big baby over everything seems like. I remember when I first started sub, I also remember that feeling of just missing the high and that's pretty normal I think and it does get better in time. It takes a little time for our bodies and brains to just slow down and get used to the suboxone. So glad everything is going well for u right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:12 pm 

Hi Michelle F,

It is heartwarming to read your story and recovery effort. One of the main reasons they made Suboxone to be taken once per day was to try to get rid of that craving at the end of the day when most addicts/alcoholics would change their brain chemistry. Trying to break a habit per say. I've known addicts who love the process of shooting up so much that they'd shoot water just to imagine they had some of their drug. Crazy brains we have!

I too took tramadol along with hydrocodone and the Suboxone helped get rid of both. In the beginning it was a really weird feeling being on it. After I reduced my dose from 24 mg's down to 16, then 8, I stayed there for several months.

Don't be in a rush to get off the Suboxone so fast. Get your life and addiction behaviors under control first. For some, getting of it is not very hard. Others have a terrible time with it. You won't know which group you're in until you stop. But that is a thought for another day. IMO, a year is best. But I'm no expert and only give my 2ยข worth here.

And isn't it funny how some people don't feel tramadol? My wife is one. I loved that pick me up feeling. But now being on Suboxone I don't crave any of that stuff.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get all the support you need here.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:07 am 

Thanks Rule! You are the first person who has talked about tramadol being a drug of choice. In my case, I never wanted to be high, just feeling good. Like one or two glasses of wine. I have absolutely no desire to take tramadol anymore. I have a whole bottle of it in my medicine cabinet and could care less. Suboxone keeps me feeling right where I want to be! Today is day four at 8mgs. My next step is to cut the 4mg strip in half and take 2 mgs in the am and 2 mgs in the pm. Thank you everyone for all of your support!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:04 pm 

You want to hear something weird? I now have a script for tramadol which I rarely use. My Suboxone doctor said that when my pain is bad, to take two Aleve with two tramadols and that should help. Maybe 3 times in two years have I tried that. Normally the Aleve does the trick.

The tramadol will have absolutely no effect on you. You won't get that "feel good" feeling now that you're on Suboxone. It may not have been wise for him to give me them but there is no craving whatsoever. Same would hold true with Vicodin, or hydrocodone. Once on Suboxone your Mu receptors won't let any other opiate knock it off and get you high. That's what is great about Suboxone. No cravings and also knowing it wouldn't do anything anyway. So just live your life.

How's it going now for you?

rule

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:38 pm 

Hey Rule,Hope you are having a great Saturday. So today I can honestly say that I take 8mgs of sub a day. For a few days I really had to fight going for a third strip. I see my Dr. om 8/11 and will feel comfortable asking her to write the script for 8mgs per day. I will then try to cut down to 4 mgs per day. Thank you so much for asking!