It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New & need support
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello folks.

I hate typing so Ill keep this as short as I can. I am male, in my 50,s and a junking since my teens. I am an acholic and opiate addicit. My health is bad. I have chronic hep C for witch I failed treatment twice I have chronic pancreatitis and a genetic disease called hemochromatosis. My liver is bad. I was not over weight to start with and I have lost about 50 lbs over ther last year. I look and feel pretty sickly at this point

I have been in and through withdrawals so many times that I am terrified of the very thoughts of it. I am well aquainted with loperamide, kratom, gabapentin, suboxone amd methadone used short term to try and kick the opies, never succesfully.

I have concluded that my best may be to get on suboxone at a dose that halts the feening and just stay there for a while. In the past I used small doses for short periods hoping to not become dependent on another substance. I found that even though the sickness may be covered, the craving was not and always ends the same.

I will post later and make a new topic ine a different forum with the hopes of getting support from some of you good folks. This too is a new approach for me as I have kept the whole mess to myself in the past.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments you may offer. I have got to nip this in the bud. Time is running out for me health wise and I don't think I have a whole lot of fight left in me. I'm tired.

Post subject: Re: New & need support
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:58 pm 

Hey Oxyblue,
Well, I think you have the right idea man.
Sounds to me like you are at the end of your rope . Yes, imo, I feel a maintenance dose of suboxone for a loug period of time may help save your life at this point.
Start as soon as possible, and do it thoigh a Dr.Not on the street.
I think you could do very well.i have.

Im 56, had never bn in recovery. Not until I turned into a 300 mg opiate addict.4 years of it.
So, now with the help of suboxone I have 3 1/2 year clean. No drugs no alcohol, nothing..This is after useing for 36 years! I found this forum also, read, learned as much as I can. Read dr junigs books plus his talkzone. So much good info here Oxy. With so much misinformation out there about subs, you are lucky you found this place. So, welcome, keep posting, and please, think hard about starting sub therapy asap..
Sorry your having such a hard timecat this point in your life. It can get better. I also hit na meetings too. You get what you put into those fellowships. So....
Hang in there Oxy....razor 56...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome. Glad you joined the forum and are seeking some support.

I am also a long-term opiate addict, with about 7 years of heroin (and cocaine and alcohol) addiction, followed by about the same amount of time of Methadone maintenance. Switching to Subs, near the end of my Methadone taper, was a good move, it gave me both clarity and freedom from cravings which allowed me to start dealing with the underlying addiction issues.

I'm now 38 days Subs-free, and the sobriety is awesome, though there are definite challenges. The reasons why I poured so much alcohol and drugs into me didn't just disappear when I got off Methadone and Subs; it's taken some work to stay in a place where I'm free of cravings, and able to find some freedom and joy. The work is an ongoing thing, but now I feel I'm moving forward in life again, not just standing still (or thinking I was standing still, while actually slowly slipping backwards).

If you make a choice eventually to get totally clean, and you do what you need to do recovery wise, you won't regret it. In the meanwhile, Subs is a pretty good choice.

-- ji

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:58 pm 

You are welcome here!

I'm sorry you're having so many health difficulties!

I think that a good stint on suboxone to help stabilize your life is a wonderful idea. Since you've never tried maintenance for a long period of time I think you might appreciate living without opiate cravings! It's an amazing feeling.

There are people who say that their desire for alcohol also decreases while on sub. I hope that can be the case with you as well.

:)
Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for the welcome and words of encourgment.

I am thinking I'll give the suboxone another shot Wed. In the past I have found 2mg, two times a day to cover most symptoms but not the craving. Gets me everytime even with a low dose methadone detox. I have feared dependence to another substance thus keeping my doses low and time on short. This has not worked out well in the past.

I'll post more when I have a better idea as to what the plan will be and I welcome any feedback.

Thanks again!