It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all!

I'ma 35 yr old male who has been on Subs for roughly 10 weeks. I developed a severe love for all things ending in "odone" after returning from my first tour in Iraq. When I was on opiates I was able to get my severe anxiety under control. I was able to forget my bad memories. Also it made me more social as I had become severely isolated after coming home. I was snorting anywhere from 60-120 mg of whatever opiate I could find as often as I could afford. I was self-medicationg PTSD, MDD, and GAD.

Well the $hit hit the fan as it eventually always does when I copped a DUI back in July. I was already in therapy with the VA so I just came clean with my 6 year addiction. The docs let me go into early W/D's then inducted me with 2mg/day for a few days, soon upping it to 8mg/day. I stayed there for a little over a month but told them my ultimate goal was total abstinence. I started tapering on my own going straight to 4mg/day for 3 weeks, then 2 mg/day where I am now. Next week I hope to go down to 1mg/day then drug-free. Well not counting the fistful of other meds I'm on dealing w/ insommnia, depression, constipation and anxiety. So far my taper has been going well. No physical cravings just some irritability like I was on Prednisone.

Anybody tapered from the 1mg/day down to zero? Kinda wondering what to expect...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1 mg is still a bit of a high dose to jump from, however, since you've done a fairly quick taper over only 10 weeks, that may work in your favor. Each person is way too individual to predict how someone will react to their withdrawal experience. I wish I could say something more. Perhaps someone here who did a similar such taper will come along and share how they did.

I also see that this is your first post here, so I wanted to welcome you here as well. I know you'll find some great members and some pretty terrific as well as accurate information about suboxone and addiction. I hope to see you stick around. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI there

[marq=right]THANKYOU for your service to our country :wink: [/marq]

There's lots of taper stories in the 'stopping suboxone' section, and 'bupe in the rear view'

so you can click around and read some of those. . . . that'll give you a good idea of what to expect,,,,,,
BUT please remember that EVERYONE is different, and you know, I THINK, people who have an EASY time tapering, seem to not post about it, until it's all over with ,,,, LOL
not that there's anything wrong with that, just dont get scared, by what you read, is all Im saying,,,,,,,,,,,

heres a few threads, you can check out

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=296

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5965

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7369&highlight=

Let us know if you need ANYTHING else, K?
and dont forget to let us know how your doing!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there,,,,,,,

here's another one that's active NOW, and I was just reading it and thought of you.............

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7365&highlight=

Again, GOOD LUCK

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: New Member
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Esquire30103 wrote:
Hi all!

I'ma 35 yr old male who has been on Subs for roughly 10 weeks. I developed a severe love for all things ending in "odone" after returning from my first tour in Iraq. When I was on opiates I was able to get my severe anxiety under control. I was able to forget my bad memories. Also it made me more social as I had become severely isolated after coming home. I was snorting anywhere from 60-120 mg of whatever opiate I could find as often as I could afford. I was self-medicationg PTSD, MDD, and GAD.

Well the $hit hit the fan as it eventually always does when I copped a DUI back in July. I was already in therapy with the VA so I just came clean with my 6 year addiction. The docs let me go into early W/D's then inducted me with 2mg/day for a few days, soon upping it to 8mg/day. I stayed there for a little over a month but told them my ultimate goal was total abstinence. I started tapering on my own going straight to 4mg/day for 3 weeks, then 2 mg/day where I am now. Next week I hope to go down to 1mg/day then drug-free. Well not counting the fistful of other meds I'm on dealing w/ insommnia, depression, constipation and anxiety. So far my taper has been going well. No physical cravings just some irritability like I was on Prednisone.

Anybody tapered from the 1mg/day down to zero? Kinda wondering what to expect...

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello there Esquire!! The very first thing that I wanted to say to you, besides welcome to the forum, was THANK YOU.
THANK YOU so much for what you have done for our country. Thank you for your bravery, your loyalty, and for fighting
for our freedom. All too often, we take for granted our daily freedoms. The fact that we can drive where ever we want.
That we can have as many children as we want. That we can sleep in, or get up early. All of these little freedoms that we
don't think about on a daily basis.

The fact is, they come at a very high price. Only we aren't the ones paying the price. It's people like you. So without turning
your thread into something you didn't intend, I just wanted to thank you personally from the bottom of my heart.
Thank you for your sevice. And I truly wish you the best. I hope that the VA is able to assist you in recovering from the
traumas you suffered. I know that Coatesville, Pa has a VA medical center that has a wonderful PTSD program. I've been there.

Good Luck to you, and again, Welcom!!![/font]

Post subject: Thanks to all
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'd like to thank everyone for your kind words. I consider it a privilege to serve...

Anyway, against better advice, I said screw it and jumped off at 2 mg. Oct 4, 4pm, took my last dose. I guess i'm just tired of this and was anxious to get it over with. I heard yesterday that if you want to fly, you gotta get rid of the shit that weighs you down. So, i started feeling pretty badly last night. Got 1 hour of sleep. So far just chills, aches and pains, restless legs, and the trots. Also I have this weird sneezing thing going on, don't know if it's related.

So anyway, today will make day 4. I think I might have a long row to hoe but...maybe not.

I can hope for the best right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:25 pm 

Sneezing is definitely related! I'm tapering now and when I'm feeling a little withdrawal, I started yawning so much that it looks like I'm crying. I definitely understand the impulse to just say "screw it!" and go through a bad withdrawal all at once, but I'm kind of a baby too. So my taper has been pretty slow so far. My maintenance dose was 16 mg. I started tapering in February and I'm now down to 4.25 mg of sub per day. I realize that it gets harder from here on out!

Do you have a good support system beyond your therapy? And have you discussed with your therapist coping mechanisms to help prevent relapse? Just coming to this forum and learning from others' wisdom is one of my main supports. There are a lot of compassionate folks here who just want to help.

I also appreciate your sacrifice in serving our country. Thank you.

You definitely can do this! Amber gave some good examples of other taper threads and maybe someone can dig up some cold turkey threads. I know that Romeo jumped from 4 mg, so he definitely knows what you're going through. Your worst symptoms will probably be over by day 11 or 12. After that, it seems that most people consider the lingering depression and sleep problems to be the biggest problems to overcome. It's definitely doable! Definite reason for a hopeful attitude!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Esquire,

Welcome to the forum!!

It looks like you had a 6 year addcition to pain pills, then you were on Suboxone for about 10 or 11 weeks total, jumping off at 2mg.

You basically used Suboxone to get off of pain pills, then did a quick taper off of Suboxone. We've had many people here do that and their wd symptoms are usually not too, too bad. The Suboxone, for the most part, should have eliminated any serious wd you had coming your way from the pain pills, but you also haven't really been on Suboxone long enough to have developed a full dependence on it, so your wd from it should be minimal. At least that's how it has played out for a lot of other people in your shoes.

All the symptoms you mention are classic opiate wd and the sneezy's seem to be more directly related to Suboxone wd. As Amy said, I think the worst of what you're experiencing will be over in a few days, you might have a few more days of "blah" after that too.

Amy also asked you some great questions about how you plan on staying drug free. A lot of people seem to be able to get off of drugs, but a lot of those folks also end up going back. I know when I got off of Suboxone, I kept telling myself over and over again that there was no way on God's green earth that I was ever gonna use drugs again.....well, long story short, I used again....and again....and again. I was FINALLY able to pop my head out of my ass and I've been doing good ever since. (BTW, I don't mean to imply that your head is up your ass.....I would never talk that way to someone who knows how to shoot a gun!! LOL)

Good luck, man!!