It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

I'm new to this, I didn't know this site was out there.

I had a spinal fusion 2yrs ago, long story short; I became addicted to pain meds. After a year I asked for help. I was labeled as a user and anytime I went to the doctor, they would come in with attitude...

After some time I was introduced to Subs. I was taking 2mg x2/day and having extreme cravings. I talked to my doc about it and i'm now taking 1 8mg twice a day and I'm feeing great again.

I do have a question about this drug. Last week I stumbled and twisted my ankle. It's still sore, not sure if I stretched a ligament or what. Because this happened, I wondered what would happen if I were involved in an accident.

They wouldn't know I was on it unless I'm awake to tell them. Also, what if I were in extreme pain, how would they treat me for the pain when I'm on this medication?

I still have pain from the surgery and the surgeon mentioned that there's a great possibility that I may need another fusion in 10yrs or so.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi theking and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us and I'm sure you'll find it to be supportive and informative.

If you go to NAABT.org, they have emergency ID cards that you can put in your wallet that state you are on suboxone. It also states that you may need additional pain meds if you are in an accident and need pain meds. And that's what you will need - a higher than "normal" dose of opiates if you need acute pain relief.

Also, here's a link to another thread that has an NIH article about treating acute pain in suboxone and methadone patients (http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=34268#34268). I know you don't need it now, but you can read it and get a better understanding about all the possible options of how to treat pain in us sub patients. It's pretty easy reading and from a reputable source. Many of us have used it when we've had to have surgery. We've even shared it with our surgeons/doctors.

I hope this helps you. Ask any additional questions you may have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You can also put the info on a medic alert bracelet if you are really concerned. I was in a car accident and I had the card but they never looked at it. I was given painkillers in the ER and I called my Sub doc to see if it was OK. So I ended up stopping my Sub for a couple of weeks. Even though the painkillers were pretty low dose they did help when coupled with ibuprofen. I went back on Sub afterward without having to go through induction. So try not to worry that the worst is going to happen.

It sucks that the docs are giving you attitude. Isn't it unbelievable that you can ask for pain pills all you want and they don't bat an eye, and the minute you admit you have a problem and are trying to RECOVER they treat you like dirt? Keep you head held high. Medical professionals should know better than that. Take comfort in knowing that there are a lot of us like you out there, and we're all working in what ever little way we can to change the stigma attached to addiction.

Good for you getting into recovery, and keep posting,
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the information. I went to the NAABT site for the card, does this come with the free resource kit?

I was on lower doses and still having cravings. I talked with my doc and explained how I was feeling. They upped my subs to 2 8mg tabs, 1 in the am and 1 in the pm and I have no cravings at all.

I slipped up 1 time and got oxys and stopped Subs for 4 days and the subs completely blocked the oxys, I got nothing from them. It was a lesson learned, but it also freaked me out a little because I wondered what would happen if I got into and accident or needed a procedure. I'm going to read the site you sent as well.

Again, thank you for the information.

Regards,

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, I think it's in that whole resource kit, if you want all that info. Now I can tell you that I've received some of their info (once when I started a suboxone recovery support group) and it's good stuff. But I also checked their site and found this paragraph:

Quote:
Patients can now order a free “in case of emergency” wallet card that alerts healthcare workers that buprenorphine can affect opioid pain medication. The card also contains links to this web page www.naabt.org/emergency with important relevant links useful if opioid pain treatment becomes necessary. Simply email us an address to send the card to at MakeContact@naabt.org

Lilly is right though - this assumes they will check your wallet. I also got a medic-alert bracelet made. They can get really costly, but I got mine on Ebay and it was relatively inexpensive and I must say the quality is pretty good. I wear that most of the time, just in case, along with the wallet card.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all the good info, I sent in a request for the card and have been ready through the site, very good info.