It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself & hope to find support as I am at the end of my suboxene treatment. I am ready to quit & am glad tobegin a sober life but am looking for any options that will help me achieve that goal. I was an opiate addict for 7 yrs, then been on treatment for 2 1/2. I now take 4 mg a day and next month move down to 2. Thanks for listening,.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi hillbrown,

Welcome to the forum.

Not to nit pick, but I believe your sober life began 2.5 years ago when you found Suboxone. I know what being an opiate addict is like...I am one. When I started suboxone the raging opiate addict went to bed, so to speak. I lived 'normally' while on suboxone, I sure can't say that I lived 'normally' while on OC's and the like.

Dropping below 4mg is sometimes where things get tricky. Most people, once under 4mg, usually start to feel some of the withdrawal symptoms more so than their previous drops. I would suggest a taper of around 10%, maybe 15% at a time. It just depends on how your body reacts regarding how big of a taper you attempt.

As far as a timeline, I would wait a minimum of a week at each new dose. It would actually be better to wait unitl your mind and body are adjusted to your new dose which might take longer than a week.

I'm actually a little nervous to see you want to go from 4 to 2mg in a months time. It's great to have goals, but they should be flexible when need be.

Take it easy and try to stabilize at each dose.

BTW, are you ending your suboxone treatment or has that decision been made for you by someone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:37 pm 
Romeo, you just nailed it, literally!! Amen!! I agree man, just because you take suboxone does not mean your not sober. My sober date is May 7, 2009 which is the day i started sub. Thats 20 months drug free i have. Woo thats crazy!! Ok, enough about me. I dont think their is anything else i could possibly add because Romeo has hit every point that needed to be made. Welcome to the forum!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Welcome ......
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I started my Suboxone at 4mg, I spent 13 months tapering down to 1mg.. I'm in a 1mg holding pattern right now!!! Mike

Post subject: Welcome to the Site....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi hillbrown79,
Welcome and thanks for posting. I just want to add my 2 cents. I have been on Suboxone since Feb. 2009. Wow almost 2yrs.! That is the date I became clean and free from my addiction!! I also got Sober 4 months later as I am an Alcoholic as well. :D . I know that I will NEVER be completely free from my Alcoholism and my opiate Addiction! I can with the right tools keep them both in Remission and live a CLEAN & SOBER Life.... I have no doubt that seeing how the Suboxone got me clean helped give me get the confidence I needed to get into a Detox and get Sober.... I do not miss that never ending Chase and that High that never came again or the massive "Hangovers" I had on a Daily Basis! It was a dark time in my life for sure and I pray a lot and go to my AA meetings every Day in the hopes that I will Never return to that life. I wish you the best of luck in your Recovery. Please keep us posted on your progress!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone. My doc started me on 2 8 mg a day & did slowly taper me down. A year into the program I did get pregnant( w/ fiance) & I taperd down & quit in the first week of my 2nd month. It was a little tough but I was so determined because of my baby & I did have a lot of support. My fiance is the main reason why I started the program. Anyway after I had her & took my pain meds from my c-section I felt like I couldn't run out or I would go crazy. My doc then called me in 2 8mg a day again. I thought that was excessive but of course I took them happily & that was on June 26, 2009. Now I am on the 4 mg a day& my doc is the one who wants to have me on 2 mg by the end of this month. Now I do want to quit. I completely agree that my life before suboxene/subutext was choatic & crazy & now my life has been so good. I also have a 10 yr old(from my ex-husband who I left because of his drug use, he is still using, so much more to that) which the guilt over being a user, it started when she was 3, is so intense. I am always trying to make up for it it seems. Okay sorry off topic some but anyway I do believe I am better than I have ever been in these last 8-9 yrs but I went to another site first in hopes of finding support to learn that people who takr subs are looked down up on like crazy so someone directed me over to this site. I did not realize that tapering from 4 mg to 2 mg in a months time might not be a good idea? I know I do need a little bit more time, I mean my fiance dishes my meds to me because really I couldn't be trusted to not eat an extra one here & there. So I was planning on trying to quit at least by the summer, I mean I am ready to quit, but I have to find more options than just tapering down & then just quitting. I have been to meetings & have been to rehab twice. First time my parents drove me up there, the 2nd time I had started hanging out w/ the guy who now is my fiance & he was like why are u doing this to urself so I thought about it & wanted to get clean. called about programs, was on waiting list so I went to a rehab to try to get some more help. I came out the 2nd time w/ a lot more understanding than I did the first time. Sorry so long I am just trying to reach out and get advice & support in these final months. Do u think I should question my doc about the tapering downa little slower? Also, I have tried to just not take anything ythese past weeks, okay just 2 days & the night was the worst so I am wondering what will I do to get past that, I do have 100% support from my fiance, so I know he will let me do what I need to do, he has sick time he can use so I am hoping that will help when the time comes down to quitting completely. Again sorry so long I have not told anyone else about this in so long, my family believes I do not take anything since I had quit when pregnant. I see my family everyday so suboxene does not make me messed up or whatever people believe we are doing by "replacing a drug w/ another drug" I can see where they are coming from but who is to judge one's path to recovery? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you absolutely sure you're ready to quit? Not do you want to quit....are you ready to quit? The part about your fiance having to dish them out to you concerns me a little bit. The guilt your dealing with regarding your daughter and your drug use is of concern as well. Personally, I would try to get a better handle on these things. That's just my opinion and I apologize if it offends you at all. It's certainly NOT my intention to offend you.

I'd hate to see you quit suboxone and end up relapsing is all I'm saying.

I took suboxone for 3 years and worked with an addiction counselor the whole time. Without that "education" and help I would have never been ready to quit. I quit taking sub here about 7 months ago. If I didn't have the tools he taught me and a very stable home life and the support of this forum I don't know as I would have made it this far.

Like I said, I just don't want to see you go backwards. You've worked so hard over the years to get where you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No u are not offending me at all. The issues u bring up are the same ones that concern me. I know I can't be ready if I can't handle my own prescription & getting pressure from my doc that I 'ld have to eventually taper down are both warning signs to myself. I know I need to stop & make sure I am ready to completely end the treatment but regardless I know my doctor will not give me another year & most likely not even 6 months. I never did lose custody of my daughter but the fact that I brought unneeded pain to an innocent child, my child is something I feel a lot of remorse over but I do see a therapist on the side plus my daughter & I have a great relationship. For the last 3 1/2 yrs she has had her Mom back in full force, thanks to suboxene. So I am probably still not completely ready to just quit but I need to find alternate ways of dealing w/ stress, tools to help me once I am in recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:10 am 
Hey!! I have to say, i am so bothered and angered by the fact your doctor wont allow you the time you need. That just doesnt make sense. Their is something in the RB pamphlet that says, when the patient is ready, then you taper and if the patient feels at risk of relapse you can put the patient right back at a stable dose. This is basically saying you are in charge of letting your doctor know when you feel ready. I just dont see how a doctor can force you off the med if your not ready. That defeats the whole purpose. A person is sure to fail if they get forced off and arent ready. I dont say that to scare you, but if every single bone in your body isnt ready to stop treatment, then you should not get off this medication. Their are so many stages to this treatment. You have only just begun. If im not mistaken, you said you've been taking it for 2 months? Im in my 20th month now drug free no slips no nothing. It took 3 months before the real changes started to take place. Sure i felt 100% better as soon as i took a dose but, your body and mind has to learn to live life without that DOC. If your doctor is serious about forcing you off the medication, then i would be seeking another doctor because that is just not safe if your not ready. You may even feel like you are ready but, when that medicine leaves your system its a whole different story. You have to have so many prevention methods in place once you stop the med. Its not gonna be easy but it can be done. I really hope you will rethink wether your truly ready to stop the med or not. I had to have my mom dose my med out for a couple months in the beginning but over time i took complete control of my med and every other aspect of my life. You dont only stabalize on the med, but you stabalize your life. I seriously do worry about you saying your husband has to dole the med out. The reason thats so worrysome is that just means your mind is still thinking like an addict, no offense. We've all been their and thats why this site is so helpful because their isnt anything you can say that hasnt been said or done before. I say give yourself much more time and get your life together, not that you havent but i mean get a real head start on life without drugs before even thinking of stopping the med. If that means getting a new doctor, then i would get a new doctor. I will never understand doctors that force their patients off the med. As i said, that just defeats the purpose. You can look in the RB/suboxone pamphlet and it clearly says what i said above, that when the patient is ready he/she can begin a medical taper. If that patient feels at risk, he/she can re-stabalize back at their original dose for however much longer they need. I've rambled here and i apologize. I hope you'll stick around an let us know what happens. Goodluck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:49 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Your Dr.s taper plan might work, dont get all negetive in advance !!! Your body ( brain ) will tell you everything... Your good today, thats all that matters today. Also , when starting your Dr.s plan set a goal to reach 2mg a day, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with what the others have said. You are definitely going to feel the drop from 4 to 2 mg. That's cutting your dose in half! And like has already been said, if you're not yet in control of taking the suboxone as prescribed, you're probably not ready to taper off. I would have a deep look inside myself and think about what things in your life you've changed to prepare for being off sub. You'll have a lot of cravings to deal with - are you ready to approach those in a healthy manner? Once you have a good understanding of YOU in this regard, I would then have a serious discussion with the doctor about whether you're ready to go off it or not. YOU should be the one in control of this, with the help of your doctor and family.
I wish you the very best regardless of what decision you make.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. I completely understand, I do still ahve an addict mind. My fiance was my main support but now I just believe after 3 yrs he is just sick & tired of dealing w/ the program. He has never been an addict, which doesn't mean he can't be understanding but lately its just "when are u goiong to quit or u just want more drugs" He wasn't around when I was destroying myself before suboxene, yes he was a friend & did watch my husband & my life deteriate but I don't think he realizes we would spend 300 to 400 a week , smoke crack, or anything that came our way. But eventually I just became stuck on pain pills & have bee & the my life did get better when I started my sub program. So no in all honesty I am not ready to go to nothing but all this pressure is crazy. I do lose my insurance the end of this month, will have no way to pay for visits or meds. He could put me on his work insurance but now is saying is it because u want more drugs. Well, yes it is, I want to be better, I don't want to feel like I have no where to turn. I have worked this program, not taken a single other drug through these years, even quit when I was pregnant, and now I just want to taper slowly, feel comfortable about doing so & have support. Right now I feel completely different than I did yesterday, I was so happy to finally realize I want to end this but now w/ him being this way, I feel clueless. His ex-girlfirend of 8 yrs Mom died of an overdose in her 60's, why? I believe because she never was ready to quit or have the tools or support. I don't want to end up like that, I am 31 right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok, I should of said in my earlier post I do not have 100% support from my husband/fiance(i hate the word fiance), I did in the beinginning though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hillbrown79, I won't go into my story right now, since I won't be inducted onto suboxone until this coming Monday, but let me tell you this...you are at least being honest with your "fiance/husband" about where you are with your treatment and addiction.

I have a big decision coming up once I have stabilized...do I tell my beloved man the truth about going on subs,
and how I got here? I admire you for being upfront and honest in your relationship. You can handle this!
Just do it first and foremost for yourself...no matter how much you love him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Firstly, good luck in the future with being suboxone free! Athlough it is nothing like our ugly battle with oxys, and I thank god for such a drug, I often still feel very dependent... I am anxious for the day that I can be free and clean in my own body with NO outside help. I do have a little bit of a different opinion than some on here though. I have been on Suboxone off and on for about 5 years. This last time getting back on it, I feel like for the first time I am truly working on sobriety. Sure in the past while being on it I was not using, but I was also ONLY using the suboxone to help treat my addiction. I was not going to any meetings, counseling etc... I was using Suboxone to fix me. Sure it took away my WD's but it did nothing for me to understand and fight this life long addiction. I think sobriety needs to work from the inside out of us, and the suboxone sure helps, but works from the outisde in. I hope recognizing that I wasn't truly working on sobriety will help me this go round to get to the point where you are at. Congratulations, and best of luck. As I have seen mentioned though, it takes time ... and make sure you are tapering off because you are ready, not because your doctor thinks you should be. I can personally say, if you are not ready, your chances of staying sober are a lot less likely than if you were to taper because YOU thought it was time to. I always think of how much time and energy I put into my addiction, and think that if not more time and energy needs to be spent on my sobriety.

As a new member I truly thank all of you for your posts. I joined today and have gotten so much information it is amazing! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One more thing, I just read another of your posts and the part about your fiance saying you only want the insurance for more drugs and I am sorry, but as a woman who went through the same issues for a while, i'm annoyed. He has helped by dosing out your meds and thats great and all, but he obviously has NO IDEA what you are trying to do by taking the Suboxone. He needs to stop and realize, like I said in my last post, tell him to think about all the time and energy you wasted working on being an addict. Why in the hell (excuse my launguage) would he not think it takes time and A LOT of time to try to heal from such an ugly disease. According to your addiction, I think you've got at least a good 7 years before you can truly get healthy! Of course that may be exaggerating, but seriously. He needs to realize first of all Suboxone is NOHING like the "drugs" you did prior and that it takes time. If he can not fully support it, he needs to kick rocks. My personal belief anyway. He can not be helpful with that attitude, only toxic. I'm sorry for the harshness, but I have dealt with some similar issues recently, and I had to give up the relationship. Of course not telling you that you should do that!! But I could not get healthy until the people around me did. And not fully supporting or understanding is not being healthy. I hope nothing I said was offensive... the statement just really bothered me lol. Sorry for the ramble guys. But I think he needs a little more education on what you are going through. People who have not been in our shoes just don't understand. And you know it's not their fault. But if they love us and truly want us to get better, they will do whatever it takes to be completely supportive.

Last thing I swear! If he has been dosing out your meds because you don't trust yourself, girlfriend you are not ready to taper. Find a new doctor now! Before it's too late and you are right back at square one. It's SO hard to stay sober sometimes, and unfortunately REAL easy to use...

Post subject: A little about me....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone! Just wanted to kind of introduce myself to the group. My name is Laura and I work as an animal rescuer. Pit bulls being my favorite, hints the name.... I have replied to a couple of posts already, and I have found this sight amazing. Just stumbled upon it today, and am thankful that I did. I have been back on Suboxone for about 4 months now. Previously off and on for the last five years. I had a doctor who just prescribed it. I went in for a half hour and talked about my life and he sent me with my Rx's. He did mention a time or two that I should attend an NA meeting, but didn't really explain to me how important the actual process of recovery is to live a sober life. This time I have been forced into treatment through the court system. As hard as it has been, I am very thankfull. I have truly found a path of sobriety in my life and future. I wan NEVER able to grasp a life w/o Suboxone or opioids, but I am slowly seeing the light. I am anything but candid when it comes to my past and my experiences. I love the idea of a forum based on Suboxone. It is not just a drug, but truly a lifestyle choice. I'm anxious to share my experiences and use others' to continue my recovery.

Thanks everyone and nice to meet you all!

Btw, I sometimes ramble... I tend to talk a lot. I am also sometimes very sarcastic, but all in good fun. I would NEVER judge anyone thoughts or their actions. We didn't get here because we have been following the practices of Mother Theresa. Even though sometimes we thought we were just like her... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What is it with these doctors forcing people off suboxone at ridiculously fast rates. I'm sorry, but it's absolute insanity to tell someone to cut their dose in half when they are taking 4mg and expect them to be able to have a stable recovery. At that dose, even shaving 1mg off the dose (a 25% reduction) will likely be felt for as long as a week.

It really sucks that I have Hepatitis C, but I think it's allowing me to stay on Suboxone for maintenance without being constantly pressured to get off.

Getting off suboxone should not be a race.

Sorry for the rant.