It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, all. I am new to this site but not new to opioid dependence and treatment. I am relatively new to buprenorphine. I've been on suboxone for about four months now and don't like it at all - anything about it, other than that it saved me from chasing pills and powders in order to not go into withdrawl. Petty thing - I loathe the manner of administration. A bit less petty - I have never felt totally 'ok'. I'm not in withdrawl but I don't feel comfortable. Sometimes I even feel a bit cold and shaky. An intolerable side effect is this neuropathic pain in my hands which effects me only at night while sleeping, but wakes me up about twice a night. I have some numbness during the day. Speaking of pain, all of the pains that caused this round of abuse (problems with discs in my back plus all of the usual middle age accumulation of aches and pain) are in full flame.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this numbness in the hands or the neuropathic pain, and what people's thoughts on Suboxone vs Subutex.

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

I am also on suboxone almost 4 months. Like you I had pain & got addicted to the meds. I can only tell you what i was told & that was to take the sub in smaller doses..1-2 mg's a few times a day instead of my dose twice a day. I am on 8-10 mg now & find the pain is taken care of for the most part by using smaller amounts of sub & taking advil. I am older & have those ache's but that's normal aging :(

More information about your dose & how you take it may help. Also the hand numbness could be caused by many things. Do you smoke? How do you sleep? Are your hands numb everyday? Could have even happened when you were using you just never woke up from it.

I see an addiction therapist who I feel is very good. I told him last night i didn't feel sub was the "miracle" drug for me & he brought out some good points about how i have changed since he first met me. We have to weigh the pro's & con's.

Hope this helps you a little.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your post. I currently on 24mgs and have been taking it three times a day. Just lately I have been halfing the strips and spitting them out after 15-30 minutes. It seems to help a bit, but I would still like to investigate subutex and see if that works better. I don't feel ready to be off some sort of maintenance program at this point. If I were, I could see how suboxone would be a perfect drug.

The numbness in my finger tips persists and I have to believe it's related. I've seen too many other people on other sites post about this same symtom. I assume it's like so many drugs - some side effects some people but not others. A bit of stretching helps with the pain so I do that whenever I can throughout the day. Stretching helps with so many things, my back/hip/leg pain from the bad disc included.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:33 pm 

I think that continuing to taper your dose may be your answer. 24 mg/day is a high dose! It's becoming more apparent that with sub, less is more, less is better. I was on a dose of 16 mg for several months before I started to taper. The worst side effects from sub went away when I got down to about 6 mg.

Doctors have been taught by the drug company that makes suboxone that higher doses are necessary and normal. As far as I'm concerned this is just a marketing ploy to sell more of their product. I'm not saying that sub doesn't work at 24 mg/day, but it's certainly overkill.

The trick with sub is to find out how much will stop your cravings without giving you side effects. You may not be able to find an exact dose that does both things perfectly, but I'm sure you can come a lot closer than 24 mg a day.

If you agree that tapering might work for you and you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. Good luck going forward.

Amy