It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New member: my story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, so I'm a 50-something female who has been using suboxone for about 4 years. The most I ever used was 4 mg. per day and that was never consistent. (I started the suboxone to get off a 3-4 year pain pill habit - 8-10 Vic's/percs per day, or whatever I could find). I always used orally, never snorted or injected at any time. In 2013 I actually tapered to .5 mg. per day for several weeks but for sone stupid reason, I wound my way back up to right around .75 - 1 mg. per day. So, my delima is: I need to have invasive pelvic surgery and want to wean down to .25 mg per day and then a week before my surgery (general anesthesia) I will toggle over to 7.5 mg Vicodin and hopefully be able to feel the post-op meds. I refuse to tell anyone at the hospital that I am on suboxone because first of all my family doesn't even know that I use subs and I definitely do not want to be "labeled " a pain pill seeking patient.
I know this all seems crazy but I am shaking in my shoes at this point and am just asking for advise, not judgement.
Best,
Marijanek

Post subject: Re: New member: my story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 pm 

Hi Marijane! Welcome to the forum!

Wow (this is totally tongue in cheek), it seems like you might have an opioid addiction! All of the things you are describing happens to all opioid addicts. The inability to stay on a drastically lowered amount, for example, is perfectly normal!

I understand why you don't want to disclose to the hospital that you are on suboxone. The confidentiality laws regarding addicts are very strict, however. They are even more strict than HIPAA. If someone disclosed your addiction to a family member, you could sue the hospital! They take these things pretty seriously. I'm just worried for you and want you to get adequate pain relief post surgery. I remember waking up from a procedure being in intense pain because the aftercare nurses didn't know that I was opioid tolerant. And that was with me disclosing everything.

I hope that we can help you remain calm! Ask us anything.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Preview
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 am Post subject: Re: New member: my story
Dear Amy-Work in Progress:
Thank you for your reply. You hit the nail on the head; I am definitely an addict. I have been for many years, since my early adult years, on one substance or another.
I am just going to have to risk post-op pain and take extra meds with me to hospital in case I need them for pain. I just pray to the good Lord above that my receptors will be freed up enough by surgery date so that the meds they give me post-op will do the job. (I'm too afraid to admit that I am taking something without a written script!)
Once again, thanks for your concern. Fingers crossed I will be ok.
Best!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:42 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Marijane,

I can tell you firsthand that your receptors will not go down in tolerance before the surgery. Back in '11 I had major surgery and did the same thing you're thinking of doing. Huge mistake! Never in my life have I been in so much pain. And I DID disclose that I was taking Suboxone. Problem was, back then no one really understood the tolerance issue with it.

Please go to Dr. Junig's blogs and or read the posts by him under the Surgery on Suboxone section and see for yourself. The best method is to stay on your dose and have your doctor give you a heavier dose of narcotic pain analgesics to dull the pain. My doctor would not listen to that reasoning and I almost sued him for it.

Print out whatever you can find here and give it to your doctor so they can have a plan in place before your surgery. Amy is correct, you will suffer if you stay on that course of action. Plus, no one will know about the Suboxone except your medical team. HIPPA laws are very strict.

This is why this forum is here. For information about Buprenorphine.

Please reconsider.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am 

I concur with Bupduped. Here is the link from another post similar to yours.

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/surgery.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I guess I'm just going to have to taper off my .75/1mg faster than I planned.
I do seem to remember reading somewhere that in 8 weeks your receptors return to normal. I do know that in 2014 I was hospitalized with a bout of colitis and it took 3 full days for the pain shots to work and that was nothing like I'm going up against now.
I just don't know what will happen if the surgeon asks for my suboxone docs name, and I can't supply one because I don't have one.
I may just have to live with my health issues until I can get over this stupid suboxone issue, which may be never it feels like.
Thanks again everyone. I wish I had you all's courage.
Best!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Hi Marijane! Welcome to the forum!

Wow (this is totally tongue in cheek), it seems like you might have an opioid addiction! All of the things you are describing happens to all opioid addicts. The inability to stay on a drastically lowered amount, for example, is perfectly normal!

I understand why you don't want to disclose to the hospital that you are on suboxone. The confidentiality laws regarding addicts are very strict, however. They are even more strict than HIPAA. If someone disclosed your addiction to a family member, you could sue the hospital! They take these things pretty seriously. I'm just worried for you and want you to get adequate pain relief post surgery. I remember waking up from a procedure being in intense pain because the aftercare nurses didn't know that I was opioid tolerant. And that was with me disclosing everything.

I hope that we can help you remain calm! Ask us anything.

Amy

just be aware, since this happened to me. overall i had a great experience with being on subs and being hospitalized in an emergency situation. however, 2 nurses, with no malice intended, mentioend my suboxone. once in front of my mother and once in front of my boss!! (who they probably thought was my mom)
anyway if you do decide to tell the hospital about the subs make sure they have in writing that you don't want any mention of them in front of any family/visitors.
also, i was only allowed to take the dose I was prescribed, not what i had tapered to. so i mostly refused the doses they offered me and snuck small pieces from my purse.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree. No one means harm but I cannot risk that crap happening to me in front of my family.
I really don't know what I'm gonna do now.
Life just sucks sometimes.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:01 pm 

SisterMorphine, that pisses me off to no end! And I would have let those nurses know, as I was being discharged, that I could sue the hospital and them personally for disclosing that under CFR 42 part 2! Not that it would have helped you, but it might help the next person. It's amazing how proactive we have to be just in order to not have our rights trampled on!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:19 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
SisterMorphine, that pisses me off to no end! And I would have let those nurses know, as I was being discharged, that I could sue the hospital and them personally for disclosing that under CFR 42 part 2! Not that it would have helped you, but it might help the next person. It's amazing how proactive we have to be just in order to not have our rights trampled on!

Amy

i talked to the hospital administration about it. i was happy with our conversation. i really wanted to make sure it didn't happen to someone else. i don't think my mom or boss even picked up on it. one of the nurses was really cool about it. i thought she was being nosey at first. she was the only one who asked me questions about it. then she told me her son was on them and they saved his life. its a really small hospital. they may never have had anyone in icu on them before. the hospital pharmacy didn't even have them. my s.o. had to bring in the box and they kept it locked up.