It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, im new to this forumbut have been getting info fromhere fora few months. I have been on suboxone for 1.5 years and relapsed 2 times. Now i have moved in with my sister to get away from my old surroundings. I found a doctor very close by that would treat me. I went in there last saturday and everything was pretty smooth excpet she said the dose i was on (5 a day) was to much so she droped me to 4 aday. Now i know 5 is alot but it took me 2 timesof relapsing to figure out a good routine to suite me best. Right now its 2 in the morning and 3 at night. Also i have been experimenting different dosage times and amounts. My conclusion is that taking halfs and quarters throught the day messes with my ability to eat and gves me migraine like headaches. Taking only 4 a day( 2 in th am, 2 in pm) causes me to wake up in the morning feel jittery and just very nervous temperture level changes. Just not normal. 3 at night time helps me sleep normal and when i wake up i feel like u should when u wake up. Relaxed, fresh and most of all normal. Should i call my dr. And tell her everything that i just wrote and see if she agrees with my 5 a day plan? What do yall think? I would really appreciate just some humble/ honest opinions. Addict to addict. I honestly feel like im in a good place and i am loving life( sober for almost 2 months.
I would also like to taper down .5 mg every month after 4-5 months on 5 a day but also experimenting even more to see if i can do stuff different. Thanks, sorry for such a long post lol, i have alot of questions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Tex.

No need for apologies. That really wasn't a long post anyway. We get some full manuscripts here sometimes.

If you don't feel you're ready to drop to 4mg, then for sure call your doctor. 5mg a day is not a high dose by any means. I don't really see any reason why it would be reduced like that unless you were getting too many side-effects, or too sedated from it.

How long ago did you try dosing 2mg morning / 2mg night? ie how long have you been on 4mg for? The feelings you were getting in the morning sound withdrawal related, and are pretty common when people first reduce their dose. 5mg->4mg is a 20% dose reduction, so it is expected you would feel some mild uncomfortability for a few days. I'd especially notice it in the mornings when I'd wake up with mild aches and a bit of yuckness.

BUT that does go away after a few days, when we stabilise on your reduced dose. So if you're willing to put up with it for a little while, things should improve.

I found that when I'd reduce my dose, I'd get more tempted to relapse. You should be wary of that, and keep your guard up. If you feel you're close to the edge ever, tell your doctor, not your dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for that quick reply. I did 2 in the am and 2 in the pm for a full 7 days. And its funny you say that cutting down on a whole 8 mg a day could be quite a drop and maybe have an impact like i have because everyone thinks that its so easy to quit or cut doses, when its coming from people that take opiates cery seldom and dont have an addiction like me. It frustrates me, and i feel like this new doctor is looking at me like a junkie and i just want a bunch of suboxone to try and get high on. Which is far from true. Im gonna hopefully talk to her on monday and see what she thinks. But i think i need to be firm with her by saying this is what i think i should be trying untill i feel comfortable going down doses, because if not, whats the point of continuing with he if she does not consider my very own opinion about how i feel. Can you give me some pointers on telling her my plan? Thanks bud

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! I am a bit confused on what you are taking. Are you currently taking 5 8mg subs or are you taking 5mg daily? I thought like Tear you meant 5mg but with your last post now I am wondering if you meant 5 whole tabs. If you clarify this for us then we will help you out to the best of our ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Hi and welcome! I am a bit confused on what you are taking. Are you currently taking 5 8mg subs or are you taking 5mg daily? I thought like Tear you meant 5mg but with your last post now I am wondering if you meant 5 whole tabs. If you clarify this for us then we will help you out to the best of our ability.

He means that he's taking #5 of the 8mg-2mg suboxone per day...

I'm not going into the ceiling effect stuff since I know there are so many out there who know much more about it, but the clinical studies (probably HUNDREDS of them) have shown that ANYTHING over 32mg of Suboxone per day has NO effect whatsoever. Please don't take offense, and like I said..I'm not going too deep in this topic..but I bet money this is a psychological thing..you do realize that your brain can convince you to be sick, and you'll physically be sick...this could be the case with the amount of suboxone that you THINK you need, versus the amount you REALLY need.

I take 2 or SOMETIMES 3 strips per day. A day where I take 3 strips is rare, because I just don't need 24mg-6mg of suboxone except in RARE occasions.

ESPECIALLY since the comparison of Suboxone to morphine is around 8mg-2mg suboxone equivalent to 50-60mg of morphine, but not in a direct-opiate high comparison. The amount you're taking is equivalent to nearly 300mg of morphine per day...maybe you're taking so much Suboxone that it's literally making you sick, I would try TREMENDOUSLY dropping and see how that does for a week or so. I've been through the psychological part, I've tried to tell people who believed that they needed to take 4-5-6 suboxone per day..and they ALL come back to me and say the same thing "wow, you were RIGHT ON, I REALLY didn't need that much!!"

You'd be surprised how LITTLE you can take (Suboxone) and have tremendous affects from it. And I have nothing to benefit from telling you this, and definitely not looking to stir up an argument...just take it from someone who's been there when I first started, and who's seen people that I've encouraged to get into SUboxone treatment...everyone thinks the same way with this drug, that MORE is BETTER..and that's not the case AT ALL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow. Well if we're talking 4 x 8mg tablets, not 4 x 2mg's ... that's another ball game. I was unsure if that's what you meant, then figured nobody got prescribed over 32mg so it couldn't have been that. Did your doc actually prescribe 40mg?

There's some questions. Was your dose ever increased to 32+ mg for any reason by your previous doctor?

It's important to know why your old doctor would have prescribed 40mg. There is a rare legitimate reasons a doctor may do this, and it has to do with genetics, race and liver enzymes. But it's not common enough for most doctors to be aware of.

I'd suggest getting your current doctor to contact your previous doctor to discuss the reasons why you were given a high dose. If you took 40mg by your own accord, then I'd bite the bullet and allow yourself to stabilize on 32mg. If you genuinely struggle on 32mg and can't stabilise, then something else may be in play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, 5 strips a day 40mg im sorry about the confusion. I know now this will change everything probally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yea i am starting to agree with the psychological part im gonna just suck it up and go down. Cant be scared of a lil paincauseit wont last forever. I mean i used race motocross for ten years and had thousands of crashes and dozens of broken bones concusions etc. I know paIn and back then i delt with it without any medication. I now think about all the people like me that complain about bein in w/d pains and think to myself, are me and people like me really that big of babys? Whycant we take a lil pain anymore to get through stuff to feel better anymore? Its sad to me. I have been a big baby and im done, because i have experiencein getting through physical mental andemotional pain. Yall may not realize it but all that replied helped me realize and think and put things in perspective, and thank you all for that!!! By the way Texans will be superbowl champs next year mark my words lol!

I will keep u all updated on my situation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tex1990 wrote:
Yea i am starting to agree with the psychological part im gonna just suck it up and go down. Cant be scared of a lil paincauseit wont last forever. I mean i used race motocross for ten years and had thousands of crashes and dozens of broken bones concusions etc. I know paIn and back then i delt with it without any medication. I now think about all the people like me that complain about bein in w/d pains and think to myself, are me and people like me really that big of babys? Whycant we take a lil pain anymore to get through stuff to feel better anymore? Its sad to me. I have been a big baby and im done, because i have experiencein getting through physical mental andemotional pain. Yall may not realize it but all that replied helped me realize and think and put things in perspective, and thank you all for that!!! By the way Texans will be superbowl champs next year mark my words lol!

I will keep u all updated on my situation!

Well that makes me happy as hell to know that something I said had an impact like that on you...I've led people to Suboxone in my personal friendships, so doing it via the internet is relatively a new thing for me..but all it takes is the motivation and the right words...

Our brain is good at telling us things that are sometimes blurred by various factors... It's just a matter of saying to yourself, "what's so bad about hurting a little" or "there are people who deal with a LOT more pain in a LOT better ways..." and that usually will put things in perspective for you fairly quickly.