It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:42 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello fellow Suboxers! i just joined this forum. although i am i new member, i am very familiar with the forum and a lot of you member! not a creeper i promise lol. i discovered this forum a few months ago and i have spent many hours going thru all the different stories and topics and reading the conversations. i always found myself wanting to put my 2 cents in but couldn't, of course, due to not being a member. anyway- i'm a 27 year old mother of 5 who lives in pennsylvania. i fell in to pain killers- at first perks, then vicodin-oxy's-whatever i could find. i'm not proud to say it- but i started off getting subs off the street after a friend told me about them. of course, when i couldn't get them i'd go get pills. until finally enough was enough. i went to a suboxone clinic 14 months ago and never looked back. i am still taking the dose i started on- 2 of the 8mg suboxone films a day. i am going to tell the dr that i'm ready for a taper at my next visit on the 18th. well- glad to be here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

Hey Jackie,!
Welcome to the best darn forum in the world. Well I think so.
Glad you chimed in. Congratulations on your 14months.bet ya feel better for it.
Amazing isn't it.!!!!
That life was terrible wasn't it.??
There is so much to read here. So many success stories.
Hope you are reading some of Dr j's blog post too. I've leaned much from him.
Uno, I wasn't to keen on people getting sub off the street a couple of years ago. But, as with you
I see now that it can bring people to treatment. Plus the shortage of Dr's doesn't help either.
Well good for you Jackie.. Welcome.
I'm sure some of the girls will come by soon to welcome you.

Take care and keep moving forward..

Razor.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jackie, wanted to add my welcome to the forum also! We're glad to have you here. Congrats on 14 months clean girl! That's awesome! You'll find tons of support here, I know I did. I'm in my mid thirties with 4 kids, now teenagers, and spent most of their lives in miserable active addiction, and sub gave me back my life and helped me to see that I wasn't doomed to a life of chasing down and scheming for my d.o.c. anymore. I plan on remaining on sub for a long time, if not life. It works great for me, and as many times as I've tried other methods of getting and remaining clean, nothing has done for me what buprenorphine has. I constantly relapsed. I'm glad you've been able to get your life back as well. I'm sure your kids appreciate having their mommy healthy also. You've done an amazing thing for yourself and for them by getting treatment.

You'll find much advice and tips for your taper, which from what I've read, is more successful if done slowly over time, and down to as low a dose as possible, so that your eventual jump is as easy as possible. There are several members who've recently made the jump who can tell you about their experiences and what worked well for them. I wish you all the best. After you taper off the subs, what are you planning on doing as far as relapse prevention? Have you got a good recovery plan in place? Many say it's vital to staying clean once you're off the medication.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks razer! You're exactly right. I'm not condoning 'street suboxone' however, had i not purchased and tried subs 'off the street' i don't know where i'd be today. Probably chasing pills instead of chasing my babies around at the park. You guys are all great. It feels wonderful to know that i have such a large support group here. Although my family and friends see the positive change in me, most of them come at me with the 'trading one addiction for another' bull crap anytime my treatment, recovery, or past comes up in a conversation. Yes i have read many of dr j's blogs. He's great- and so knowledgeable! If only i could be a patient of his! No offense to my dr of course lol. My dr was too an addict. But because he 'recovered on his own' i feel like sometimes he looks down his nose at his patients who are medicine assisted. Either way- he prescribes my subs and thus assisted in my recovery. Sorry for rambling. Thank you again for the warm welcomes!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Razor- sorry for not spelling that right! Thanks lizzie. I've read a lot of your replies to other posts before i became a member. Very knowledgeable woman! I actually don't think i ever want to have to jump. And the main reason- i think i'll end up relapseing or buying subs off the street again. I would like to get down to maybe a 2mg a day dose and stay put. Maybe i'll change my mind- who knows. I go to counseling now and i'm considering trying out na meetings. I just don't like taking any precious time away from my babies. My kids are ages 8, 6, 3, 2 and 10 months. I am well aware they won't be little forever. I spent too much time chasing pills when my older 2 were really little and i feel like i not only missed precious time with them- but i also robbed them of their mommy. I work full time and with counseling- i already don't spend as much time as i'd like to with the kids. Anyway. Congrats on your recovery as well. It's an amazing feeling!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow! Jackie, you're a very busy lady! My babies are close in age also. I actually have two that are only 10 months apart in age! Needless to say, being away from them is tough, no matter what the reason. I think it's great that you're willing to give staying on the medication a chance. Many have made that decision and are thrilled with their new lives. Good for you. A lifelong condition deserves life long treatment.

NA fellowship in the right group can be a wonderful compliment to your bupe treatment, however, some say it's best to either not disclose about your suboxone use, or find a group that's recovery medication friendly. For some reason, in that group (NA), most of the time, members who take meds such as buprenorphine or methadone aren't even allowed to share at meetings or count clean time while taking medication, and some may even try to convince you to stop taking your meds. That kind of advice can be dangerous, imo! My advice for whatever it's worth, is if you attend those meetings, take what you need/like, and leave the rest, and keep your medical information private. There's a publication called bulletin 29, put out by NA that explains their stance on this issue better than I can. If na doesn't seem to be a good fit, some members have had better experiences in AA, or SMART recovery. I'm sure you'll do well no matter what you decide to do. Keep posting! I hope you find this place as wonderful and welcoming as I have!