It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Everyone,

First off I'm a long time reader, and want to thank everyone for their input and feedback to this site. It, along with others had been very instrumental in helping me choose treatment options...only through others experience can we get a clue on how this drug may affect us.

Secondly I'm now registering because I'm about to start Suboxone treatment....not for addiciton or pain, but rather for Depression. This is not a new idea nor a particiularly novel one, but it is one that requires a lot of 'out of the box' thinking, along with the understanding that I must become an addict to possibly feel better.

In reading many of your situations, I find we have many things in common...the only difference between many of you and I is I had no access to pain medication. If I did, I would have been using a long time ago. My first access to Percs was during kidney stone surgery...I couldn't believe how the meds not only helped the pain but took everything else away too. I used what remained recreationally until they ran out, which was way to soon.

Now after more then 4 years of 'treatment' for depression and suicidal ideation I began to realize that the only medication to make a profound difference in my depression was the percs. I've tried Anti-depressant after anti-depressant with only the side effects being any sign they were doing anything. A few years ago I read a few posts online on how people turned to Suboxone to try and combat this illness...most had success, but reported it wearing off over time....much like the rest of the AD's on the market. Still others when using it as a maintenance drug have never had anything work as well for them. In other words it's a crapshoot like any other medication.

I was lucky enough to find a Suboxone doctor to consider this option (it wasn't easy) and am proud that I was treated as a patient and not as a $. It wasn't easy to go into an addiction center and not be an addict, but it was also nice not to have to lie or fake illness. I'll told him my situation, we discussed the pro's and cons (mostly) as the pro's are not known and still the option is totally mine. It's nice to finally be in control of my treatment.

If you'll have me, you will probably find me in the mood section as this is what I'm hoping for an improvement in. If it works for me, then I hope others looking for an alternative depression treatment can learn from me as I have learned from you.

See you around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, welcome and nice to read your unique story. I understand your wanting sub for this type of treatment. I mean opiates do help with depression. They make ya feel good as long as you do not have to come off of them. I certainly HOPE for you that this is the answer to your depression issues. There are quite a few people on here that also enjoy the anti depressant benefit of bupe. Hopefully you will get tons of feedback and shared experiences. Have a great day & again. welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I chose to get on Suboxone to detox off Norcos, and I have stayed on it longer than planned because, surprisingly to me, it has helped me so much with depression and pain. I've tried tons of antidepressants too, and none of them did a thing for me except give me side effects, like extreme lethargy, that I couldn't deal with. Hope sub works for your depression too! It really made a huge difference from the very first day I took it, unlike all the others, which take weeks for you to supposedly feel relief...which never came.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just thought I would throw my welcome in with the others. I am still very new to Suboxone treatment and trying to figure all this out myself. But I have found great encouragement on this website. I applaude you for having the courage to try something new that you think will help you. I think it is a great idea! I wish you the best of luck on your treatment. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Just started taking 1/2mg on Tuesday and am hopeful for positive results. So far it's been a rocky road with major nausea issues and even some car sickness which I normally don't get....but I'll stick it out and hope for the best.

It's just nice to have this option for my depression treatment....I know others who have lied, cheated and generally gone through hell to get a doctor to prescribe it. Fortunately I was completely honest with all my doctors and in the end the choice was up to me, a very important development in my journey to feeling better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

darken,

Did they tell you to expect some side effects like nausea & car sickness? Any idea how long it will take for you to see results?I would imagine you'll see them instantly, which is a major advantage over your other options..Good luck with it.. That's pretty creative on your part

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Welcome,

Yeah if you don't have a high tolerance you will exp some rather unpleasant side effects like I did in the beginning of my sub treatment. You should feel better in a few days your body just needs a adjustment period. I know it sucks. Keep hydrated and take it easy. See if you can get some anti nausea. I hope your lil plan works. Keep in mind as they have mentioned to me bup is very potent stuff even in small amounts. If it helps with your depression good just don't get stuck with a dr who is going to take advantage of your issue and use it to make them richer. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Darken - Is the sub helping for your depression at all? Are you still having nausea? My doctor prescribed me an anti-nausea med, but I still felt it a little for the first few days. Hopefully you are past that by now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again for reading my introduction and offering some insight into my early struggles. Despite some rough days I have stuck with the Suboxone and continue to battle through the various side effects.

My initial dose was 1/2mg or (1/4 of a 2mg strip) I usually take this in the morning and can feel the effects within an hour normally. Nausea has been a problem so my doctor did prescribe Promethazine to help with that and it really helps! If I take it within 1/2 hour of taking the Sub I don't usually have an nausea now.

Last Saturday I made the mistake of taking 1/3 of a strip (because I had cut it poorly) and boy did it kick my butt. Just a small increase in dose (maybe it was 3/4 mg) hit me hard. I didn't know whether I wanted to puke, lie down or have a party. The nice thing was the comeup and comedown from that point were really nice...much stronger then usual...but the peak was really rough.

Lately I've been taking 1/2mg in the morning and 1/2mg at night and that seems to provide a good balance. All in all it's been a huge success for my depression...aside from my mistake of the larger dose...it's a very mild positive effect (much like having a few beers I guess)without any of the aftereffects.

I'm going to start a blog of sorts in the mood section of these forums so people can follow along with my progress....I continue to appreciate any and all comments and am happy to help anyone who may be thinking of this as a possible depression treatment.