It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi yall,

I'm new to subzone! however not new to opies (obviously lol). I have a concern about how I should approach this this subject with my dr.

I asked my GP to refer me to a sub prescribing psychiatrist. I see him beginning of next week.

Over the past 2 years or so I've had a 200-300mg OC habit daily. It was nuts so over the past 2-3 weeks, I acquired a bunch of 8mg Subs and slowly tapering down. I did my research very thoroughly online, paid attention to my body, etc, and know that with this medication less is more.

I currently take 2mg sublingually in the mornings. I am aware this is still a very large dose. 2 mg is good to hold me for 24-36 hrs. I have tried 1mg but on that dosage WD is still apparent (with me the worst part being the extreme anxiety and malaise; a feeling of impending dread and that I'm not gonna make it)

I am set to run out soon tho and I know the best thing for me is to get a prescription and taper down even more.

When I see my new psychiatrist, should I tell him 100% the truth? That I am admitting that I need help, and taken proactive steps toward it? That I have been acquiring subs illicitly and they have been working out super well, and that the best thing for me IMHO is to get my own script?

While 100% honestly is the best policy, I have a feeling that some doctor might feel like I am telling them what to do. I mean it's obvious I'm there to get help, hop on the sub train. I may be overthinking this! What were induction experiences like?

(I also don't want the doctor to think "this person obviously has some experience and tapered by himself" so he's drug seeking :( )

whew if you got to the bottom, thx for readin my novel. any help would be greatly appreciated and reciprocated!!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome! Admitting that you have been self-prescribing the very medication you are asking a new doc to prescribe is probably not going to get you too far. I would check to see if you can find a certified physician (see above) and make up your mind about whether you are willing to follow directions, whatever they may be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am going to a sub doc :) he's in the directory and all.

and since I'm seeing him for help, I'll just follow his procedure lol.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:24 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

ImHellAddicted,

Congrats on taking your first steps to try to recover from this aweful disease! Though, I agree.....YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY find a doctor to prescribe you Suboxone......Im very proud of you for realizing that you have a problem.....and for being willing to change. Its a big step.......stopping your DOC, or any other drugs for that matter.

Honestly, I think MANY people whom are currently prescribed Sub, began taking it (or were at least introduced to it) by someone on the street. Then, after realizing it WORKS at keeping them outta withdrawl, they make up they're minds to find a doctor of they're own. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU FIND A SUB DOCCTOR......whether its a GP, Pshyciatrist. And, be completely honest w/your doctor about EVERYTHING, I doubt he'll be surprised you've obtained Sub from the street in an attempt to discontinue your DOC. It may make a difference how your inducted, because he'll probably want you to be in withdrawl first. But, just tell him everything. He may give you a UA, see that you have Sub in your system and just continue you on it.....with a prescription.

Also, I wanted to state that 4mg is right around the "ceiling" for Suboxone. If your only taking 2mg, your receptors may not be saturated enough to keep you out of withdrawl AND keep cravings at bay. (The "ceiling" means-basically, your opiate receptors are saturated at this dose, and any additional Sub taken over 4mg won't increase effect) Many are prescribed doses higher than 4mg though, to make sure that there is a steady level of Sub in the blood, even after Subs long half life. Doing this prevents us from feeling the "Up's and Down's" which are felt when taking a full-agonist opiate like Oxy. When we have a steady level of Sub, above the ceiling, WE FEEL NORMAL.

Once you find a Sub doctor, all of this will be explained to you.....well, if you find a decent, knowledgeable one that is. Please continue to come here for any questions you may have and for support. This is a great site to learn about Sub, and communicate with others whom are "In the same boat". I've been on the Sub for almost two years. This forum has been a VERY IMPORTANT part of my recovery. Good Luck!! And as I stated, PLEASE, do yourself a favor and find a Sub doctor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you marie for your welcome! Some awesome advice there.

The ceiling effect? I am aware that I'm unable to get high (or as high) on my DOC once on subs lol so the craving aspect of it is moot; I just tell myself I won't even get high (even though I can break through 2mg, I just don't). This mental block helps me control cravings.

I am slowly moving away from that junkie mental state. I just want to take as little as possible, honestly.

And I will be in withdrawals when I see him LOL for I will run out by this weekend...hopefully I leave with my appointment with medication!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree that you should tell the doctor the truth. I'm sure he's heard it before. Many others have come here in your same situation and decided to tell their doctor that they, too,were getting sub off the street. It didn't interfere with their doctor prescribing their suboxone at all.

Marie explained the ceiling effect pretty well. The ceiling is generally accepted to be at or around 4 mg. At that point the receptors should be saturated, but one maintained on sub should be comfortably above the ceiling to KEEP the receptors saturated at all times. Doses vary from there based on what each individual person needs in order to stifle their cravings. For some, 8 mg will do, for others that's 16.

If a person on sub maintenance is under the ceiling, the receptors are not saturated and the person will feel highs and lows because they don't have a steady level of bupe (sub) in their system.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions on this or anything else, just ask us. Good luck at your appt early next week!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.