It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi All
I am so happy to have found this forum. Two days ago my world was slightly turned upside down, as the prospect of changing from 20 years of Methadone to Suboxone was recommended by a doctor we know who lives out of state. To give a little background, I was diagnosed with MS in 1990 after everything else was ruled out, and then "undiagnosed" 10 years later when Fibromyalgia became more understood. I have had severe pain and migraines and been on Methadone for pain since 1992. The dose got as high as 60mg but as I learned other ways to manage the pain, and had hopes to taper off, have gotten my dose down to its current 30mg.
In the last year my pain has become significantly worse. At the same time, I have been in a deep depression, that has reached suicidal proportions in the last 3 months. I have been on many antidepressants that do not do anything, except give me insomnia. I already have sleep problems as it is.
A good friend of ours recently recommended we contact a doctor friend out of state. We spoke with him and he explained that I am depressed because the Methadone has destroyed my brain's ability to make Dopamine. No antidepressant will work he says, and he recommended Suboxone, to replace the Methadone.
I was reading a thread on hear about "exchanging one addiction for another" and have a serious apprehension that I will do well on sub, but then be right back where I am with another addiction for many years.
The doctor did say that my depression will lift, and I will feel SO MUCH BETTER, and I should be able to taper in a relatively short period of time. But with the pain I am in, I find that hard to believe.
I found two other forums online about suboxone and depression and suboxone and fibromyalgia. Both had good things to say, but neither had methadone instances.

Any feedback you can suggest?
I am needing help on how to find a doctor and if I should go to a pain center or psychiatrist. My doctor does not perscribe it.
I am in Utah.

Thanks tons

Imabeliever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello believer and welcome to the forum. So you are considering switching from methadone to suboxone. I'm curious, how does the methadone handle your pain? Methadone is usually thought to be better at relieving pain than suboxone is, so you might want to consider that. That said, suboxone is also thought to help depression, whereas methadone isn't. They are even, I think, doing studies regarding using sub to treat depression.

As for replacing an addiction, well, you're already dependent on methadone - an opiate. Suboxone is also an opiate, albeit a partial agonist, so it works a bit differently. You'll never need more to get the same effect and you can't get high off it. It also blocks other pain meds (full agonists).

There are a few online suboxone doctor locators, including one at the top of every page of this forum. Just punch in your location.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If I missed anything or you have more, just ask! Again, welcome to the forum. OH, BTW, I also have fibro and take suboxone for both my opiate addiction AND as pain relief.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is a good forum with a ton of good information. Did you know that they are currently doing studies that link Fibromyalgia with MultipleSclerosis, it is being seen as a familial genetic mutation? To diagnose MS, they need to see the lesions in the brain with MRI.

Many say when you develop tolerance to an opiate like methadone, narcotic rotation is a good thing, so perhaps Suboxone will work well for you. Both Suboxone and Methadone have a long half life..... I'm not a Doc, so take this with a grain of salt. As Hat said they are also studying Suboxone use for depression.....Good luck and welcome.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome, I agree with everything that hat and robin said but wanted to emphasize your question about trading an addiction for another addiction. Firstly from what I read in your post you are not addicted to methadone you are dependant, so like hat said you are already dependant on an opiate so switching to suboxone you will still be dependant on an opiate. As far as your brain is considered they are all the same so if you are dependant on one opiate you are dependant on them all so you are not changing anything there. I too take sub for pain and addiction and I have found sub has helped me more with my pain than full agonists because your tolerance doesn't continue to go up like it does when using meds like oxy and methadone. There are a lot of people who say sub has helped them a great deal with their depression, and if you get on sub and find it helps both your depression and pain then there is no reason to taper off. You can stay on sub as long as you like, even for life if it continues to help. We have many members here who have been on sub long term with no intention of coming off and as far as I know they are still doing just as good at the same dose as when they started, or are at a lower dose. So if you think sub might benefit you more than methadone than give it a try. If you do not do well on sub you always have the option of going back on the methadone or another opiate.

Like hat said there is a Dr. finder at the top of the home page but I wanted to let you know that any Dr. may prescribe sub for pain, they only need the waiver if they are prescribing sub to treat addiction. Maybe you can talk to your current Dr. about that as he may not be aware of it. However there is a benefit to seeing a Dr. that understands sub and I do not know how much your Dr. knows about sub. I hope you find the relief you deserve and feel free to post any other questions that may come to mind. Good luck!