It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Lifer's Forum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

An ides that came from a recent newcomer--- and should have been here long ago.

The section is for people who don't want to hear the opinions of others who think buprenorphine is a 'short term drug'--- they want to talk with others who share their basic philosophy about addiction and buprenorphine. RESPECT. And welcome.

Post subject: Re: New Lifer's Forum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm thrilled there will be a home here for those of us who have decided active addiction is no longer an option, will take our medication and get on with the business of living a normal, happy, clean enough life! This will be an excellent source of support for people who've chosen this path because stigma and ignorance abound when it comes to maintenance meds. Thank you for this forum!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm 

Well, how do you like that, Lizzie? Your idea came to be! Thanks for the suggestion.

r

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Man, I love it here! ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just want to say, I think it's a great idea to have this here. A place where people can feel safe to discuss with others in the same boat.

We'll keep this area free of any debate, arguing or opposing opinions.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Wow....is all I can say. My hand has been lifted in search for desperate help for longer than I can remember. I've been addicted since before I knew medicine could be harmful, age 18 im now 37. I never knew a drugs could come from a doctor, my then father in law. I came to realization the hard way. I just took my 1st dose of sub. And feel great I am almost too afraid to have hope but I did not get all the info...just 2 doses and was told to try and then consider treatment. This feels miraculous I hope to learn here.. My life and many others depend on me changing my life..NOW. I am kind..funny..gentle ...playful...and intelligent...but can't be sure my life was just starting when I was cruelly I inflicted! Yes..inflicted with this disease I own my addiction and have denial of abuse..But I was very sheltered and had no idea of what being adult meant.Again i fully accept my responsibility. But am unsure of the next step

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:31 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Been taking Suboxone for 5 yrs now , 2-3 mg a day .... Has also kept me from drinking ( which I also over did ) and smoking ( enjoyed only a smoke or 2 a day ) .... If I mix Suboxone with these vices I feel shitty real shitty , oh well ! I'm one of those people that must feel good all the time ( or at least not bad). NO plans on getting off Suboxone ever, way to hard , I also have a mild bipolar thing that when I try to lower my Suboxone dosage I want to die , yes I'm a wus ... Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking Suboxone since 2009. At first it was 8mg then 4 then 2 then 1mg-2mg a day.

I just find that there is so little published information on the effects of long term low dose use of Suboxone. Effects, side-effects anything that will give more information.

I know I can take 1mg and not have any problems. If I stop taking the 1mg I do feel the withdrawal.
I know that maintenance works and next time I start to run out I will go to 1/2 mg to see if that is even an option. I some times have to make the prescription last longer, to try to save a few each month or because I just do not have the money.

I have been paying $125 a month for Doc and tests + $90 for the prescription a month.
$215 a month, or $2,500 year. I do not have any insurance that pay for treatment so that is about $12,500 for the last five years so my commitment to trying to have a normal life is strong.

But, being a few years from 50 and not seeing an end to take a daily low dose does anyone know how to find more information.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

With small fiber neuropathy and fibromyalgia, suboxone (in my case, subutex) has been a lifesaver. I was a casual drinker but also taking 8-9 hydrocodone per day to dull the pain...liver enzymes went haywire. I quit cold turkey and white-knuckled it for a year but relapsed. I've been on sub for about 5 years now and doing great. Two promotions at work, happy marriage, good friends and not just surviving but THRIVING. I haven't had a hydro or drink in over 5 years. I just wish the stigma associated with this med wasn't so strong. We need to create public awareness.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:01 pm 

Hey NytViolet,

I couldn't agree with you more. I'd lost everything during my addiction. Went to rehab and stayed clean for about 5-6 months before relapsing worse than ever. Finally found suboxone and I slowly got my life bk. That's been almost four years ago.

This medication is a miracle for me. I absolutely hate the stigma that comes along with it. I was even told by an attorney that a judge wouldn't consider me "serious" about recovery until I was off suboxone. I think there needs to be awareness on just how much it truly helps addicts get their lives bk.

Welcome to the forum, loved ur post!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:20 pm 

Jenn, That just infuriates me! A judge or lawyer has no clue about addiction and should ask for information regarding suboxone and your personal history before passing a judgement about it or your use of it! I am so sorry if you had a bad outcome based on someones ignorance! So happy that you are here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:56 am 

We're happy that you're here too, Michelle!

Jenn can't even reveal too much of her story for personal security reasons! I'm angry on her behalf too!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I absolutely love this site, as well as Dr J's blog. I have found both to be hugely informative and you guys seem like such a supportive group! Those are qualities not found (around here at least) at any AA/NA meeting. I just kept getting the "you are not really clean talk". However in the 5 years I have been on subs I graduated nursing school top of my class, am completing my BS degree to proceed with becoming a FNP and mended all the broken relationships with friends and family that I ruined during my active addiction.
I probably should share more than I do, and hopefully I'll get more open about things. For now I'm just amazed at how nice you guys are, and how your stories/experiences sound so much like mine.
Thanks again for being here!! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 pm 

Well glad to have you Duke !!
This is the best place Anywhere to find the facts and truths about Buprenorphine and MAT ..
Dr Junigs Talkzone is FULL of Education and I domt think you can read enough there. So much of it too.

If you get the chance I recommend his book, Users Guide to Suboxone. You will find it in the Play Store. Its a few dollars but well worth it. And no, im not Docs agent. Lol.

Dont worry about being clean enough, You ARE!!

Maybe go to the Intro section and start a beginners thread there. Just a suggestion. ..

Glad your here Duke..you made it!!

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:39 pm 

Hi Duke and welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you here!

It might be a good idea to start a thread in Introductions! People are much more likely to see your post there.

I certainly hope you stick around! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:30 am 

Welcome Duke, I am so sorry that you have had a bad experience with aa/na. There is great information from Hazelden about medications and the 12 steps. Some individuals just can not roll with the times! Please, don't let it stop you! You will find a meeting that will work for you. And, if you should decide to not share about suboxone, that is your decision! Happy you are here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I haven't been on here in a while, but wanted to ask any other lifers / long timers a question: how often must you visit your physician? I had to visit in person every 6 months, then we were told every 4th month...now it's every 3 months. Is this arbitrary or some new law? My doctor is 45 minutes away and it requires me taking time off work. No one complains because of the shame / stigma involved. We need a lobbyist group (wishful thinking), because I'm charged $165 monthly whether I see my doctor or not...makes no sense. Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated. Oh...happy new year everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NyTViolet - During the 8 hour Buprenorphine Waiver training it is recommended that patients are seen weekly for the first month, monthly through the first 6 months, then every two months for a year. If stable then every 3 months is considered acceptable. I am a relative newby coming up on my 5th year as a prescriber. Once stabilized I see patients every 3 months. There have been no 'laws' or DEA directives changing the interval recommendation.
Since Buprenorphine is a schedule III drug then it can be prescribed for 30 days with 5 refills, so are Benzos but I don't for those either. Actually Benzos are schedule IV but I still see them at least every 3 months.
My two patients that have been on Bup for a long time did not want to extend their appointments beyond 3 months. Both feel that our visits are an important part of their recovery, and frankly they are the high point of my day when they do come.

http://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//S ... 4-4442.pdf
In addition to this SAMHSA has published TIPS that deal with ORT.

Happy New Year

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:32 pm 

Docm2 answered ur question perfectly and u can't get much better of an answer than a prescribing bupe Dr :) I figured I'd let u know how my Dr does it and I'd absolutely love to be lucky enough for him to let me have an actual refill after four years but unfortunately that's obviously not how he does it. After six months, I finally starting going once a month and it's not changed since. I guess each Dr has their different ways of doing it. I pay $350 a month plus my medicine regardless how long I've been there, and I do think my Dr is too strict with patients who have proven their trustworthy with no positive drug screen ever and always at every appt and meeting. Heck it's like pulling teeth to get a script written one day early if my refill day is a holiday and the pharmacy is closed. I love my Dr don't get me wrong but that's frustrating for me sometimes.

Anyway just wanted to give ya a little insight on how different doctors do things differently than others. Dock2 I sure wish u or Dr J was at my clinic, u seem very understanding with ur patients!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:11 pm 

Even my doctor, who is awesome doesn't let me skip any monthly appointments. I am able to do phone appointments, but I don't get prescriptions for more than one month at a time. He takes insurance, so I'm not sure how much he would charge for a cash only payer.

I also believe that we need to organize! I'm with you on that!

Amy