It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all,

So it is Day 3, and I'm still in quite a "FOG". I went to the Dr. this morning and informed him of ALL my symptoms since beginning Subutex Monday morning. They did a few neuro tests and concluded that I am experiencing a lot of sedation....duh, lol, I think I knew that. Anyway to recap how my induction has progressed I'll give a quick recap:
Friday 11-22
8:00am final 7.5mg Lortab taken

Monday 11-25
9:00 am Doctor visit after approx. 72hr in withdrawal :evil:
10:00am Began oral 2mg Subutex
10:20am feeling flushed (possible blood pressure increase) and really light headed
10:30am Nurse giving 2nd 2mg Subutex- I express how I am feeling and she assures me it's normal and gives me 2nd dose
Discharged with dosing instructions as follows:
5:00 pm 3rd 2mgSubutex Dose
10:00 pm 4th Dose
Then daily dosing recommended 4-6 2mg Subutex 5-6hrs apart
What I did:
maybe between 7-8pm {Mon}took half (1mg) of the 2mg Subutex; sleep fairly well
Most of Monday I felt sedated, bouts of severe drowsiness, on and off nausea and headache
Tuesday:
Upon waking took half a 2mg Sub
Felt heavily sedated all day, increasing nausea, headache, some edginess/agitation, just pretty much crappy feeling the entire day, off balanced, sensitive to light and noise, BAD Day
Took another half midday, and another half between 8-9p
Did not sleep well at all despite drowsy feeling, up most of the night. Dozed between 4-5am, woke with terrible nausea around 5am, dry heaving
7am Half a 2mg Sub
10am Doctor visit
So I let the doctor know exactly how it's been going, how it's just progressively gotten worse verses better.
He (try not to laugh) says I either need more subutex or less. That some of what I may be experiencing may still be lingering withdrawals from the Lortab therefore I need more sub, however the excessive sedation I may need less :?
So he writes me more subutex to get me through the holiday until my apt on Monday and is allowing me to take up to 8 2mg subutex daily if I need to. He suggests I first try tapering the dose (which I have already done since day 1) and then if I experience any withdrawal, pain, etc...to take more and so on.
In addition to the subutex he prescribes me clonipine for edginess, and phergen for nausea. Gives me a number to reach him if I do not feel better or if I get worse to contact him over the holiday and weekend and to return to the office first thing Monday morning.
So that is how my doctors appt went. I do not know how informed he is of how sub works, etc....I know he is a lot older (retirement age) and has been in practice for many many MANY years and has a wonderful bedside manner, genuinely concerned to see me feel better, BUT if he knows how to properly induct and stabilize patients on sub I'm not sure. I am hopeful just discouraged because it is day 3 and I still feel so YUCK :cry:
Any thoughts on how things are progressing for me, any advice, tips, etc...are greatly appreciated.
I really thought I was doing everything right prior to my induction, I made certain I was in withdrawal, that I had no substance in my system, etc...I just really hoped I would feel better, not great of course but at least....human, not a drug laden zombie. I've cut the dose to only 2mg all day today and still feel grogged out.
Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Tabby on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dang, I hate it that you're having such a rough time getting stabilized onto Subutex. I posted in your other thread about how, in my experience, Subutex was much stronger than Suboxone. I was kinda hoping that your doctor would have switched you over by now.

I'm still thinking that your somewhat low tolerance is the problem here, but I'm really not 100% sure. A lot of the symptoms you describe are consistent with too much opiate, but the sensitivity to light and sound are symptoms I'd get while in wd.

I do know that a lot of people take several days to "get used" to Subutex, but I don't remember their reactions being quite as strong as yours?

I'm curious, how bad were you wd's when you inducted on Monday morning?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

On the COWS scale moderate to severe. I felt better within the first 30 mins of first dose then progressively worse after the next. What's your opinion of the added clonipin?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Tabby

I am new to Suboxone (2 months on) & just wanted to share that it took me a few weeks to stabilize on a dose. First i still felt w/d's then felt very drugged/foggy than i had a health issue & i blamed everything on the induction. The support & suggestions i got here were spot on. I have stabilized on a much lower dose than the doctor prescribed & at 2 months on suboxone I feel normal. Suboxone is a strange medication...

Hang in there & hopefully you will find you feel "normal" when you find the right dose.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Klonopin is a benzo, like Xanax or Valium. I would be very surprised if your doctor gave you Klonopin on top of Suboxone with the issues you're having. Both are CNS depressants and not having a tolerance to them could cause your breathing to become extremely shallow, possibly to the point where you stopped breathing.

Clonidine is a blood pressure medication that's prescribed off label to help treat opiate wd. If he gave you Clonidine, maybe he's trying to see if you are indeed experiencing wd, the Clonidine would help you feel better if you were.

A lot of people get the spelling of those two drugs mixed up. I'm not exactly sure which one you're taking, so I kinda gave an explanation of both.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:42 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Tabby-
I went through very similar to yours; I believe everything you're going through, and I believe it's temporary. (I'm on suboxone film, started at 8 mg). It will be three months in December that I've been on it. I can tell you day 3 was my worst day, I felt awful. Groggy but anxious and basically nonfunctional.
I was in a FOG, nodding out after my dose, but not sleeping properly. I was a zombie. My doc finally agreed to drop me to 6 mg, and it's much better even though I' still having some weird side effects.

It can be a real struggle to get used to it, and to find the dose right for you. But you will get there.
I'm worried you're reducing your dose all the way to 2 mg, that can potentially make you feel even worse, because like Tiki said, it's a strange drug and sudden changes can possibly do all kinds of crap to you. Weigh your doc's advice with what your reading on this forum. People here have been so supportive. Or consider finding a new doc.
I hope youre feeling better. it took me a long time to feel human again, but you will.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for all input. Today is somewhat better, not as heavily sedated but I've cut the dose to barely 2mgs. I have very poor coordination I'm noticing. It wAs clonazepam he added. Will I ever feel functional and have any energy back?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi tabby,

Please do not take the Klonopin. It will will only (majorly) exaggerate your feeling of being drugged/groggy, etc.. And, the benefits do not outweigh the risks. Once you get used to it, it will be really hard to quit. You just on't need it. You are already adjusting to a medication that is stronger than what you were previously taking, you don't need to add another powerful medication on top of it. You are doing the right thing by taking less suboxone.

I'd look into finding a new doctor if I were you. is that a possibility?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

A new doctor isn't a possibility it cost a small fortune to get in with him. I just want to feel better. Now I'm having issues with motor skills, less groggy but off balanced as heck. What's going on and when will I be feeling better and functioning normally?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tabby

It took me several weeks to feel ok on the suboxone films. I was so frustrated but i hung in there & i am ok now. It takes a few of days, i believe, before you feel the dose adjustments. It's nothing like the opiates we used to take.

I was told to stay at a certain dose for 10 days to level out. I didn't have cravings for the drugs i used to take but i did crave feeling better.

Hoping you feel well soon!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

I am on day 2 of suboxone and I feel like crap. I am in a drugged fog and nauseous. Yesterday my dr gave me 8mg to take. I called him this morning and asked to reduce my dose to 4 mg however I am still feeling just as if not worse then yesterday. I am planning on only taking 2mg tomorrow. I just want to feel somewhat normal. I can't function, sleep or do anything. I am so miserable. The good thing is that I haven't even thought about taking a pill. In fact the thought of putting any kind of medication in my body makes me sick to my stomach. I know it takes a few days to stabilize but it's so difficult when I have 2 small kids and work to do. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Thx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just posted a new thread, I was supposed to be on 2 mg subutex the pharmacist filled it wrong and it was 8 mg subutex. So I have been thinking I was taking or halting a 2 mg sub even my dr was unaware, it was the pharmacist mistake. Thank god I didn't try the 6 or 8 pills the dr said I could.