It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone. I am joining your forum for support in my husband going off suboxone. I will write up our story when I have more time. He has been off suboxone for 21 days. He is sick.. as expected.. but sticking to the quitting. I am proud of him. Supportive. But its hard that I am working evenings. He isn't working at all.. and with this withdrawal he isn't really taking care of Anything at home and the kids. Everything at home feels like a disaster. I don't have time or energy (i also have fibromyalgia) to do it all and work, and run interference when he takes things out on the kids, and be patient with my husband at the same time. I have no family around to help. I am exhausted, worried about my kids..and I feel like everything is on me..and I am Completely alone. How long will the withdrawals take..physically and mentally? I know its different for everyone. I am wondering if I should quit my job. We are living on unemployment and financially struggling more than ever. I just don't know how to handle all this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:13 pm 

Oh you poor thing! I'm so sorry that you feel so overwhelmed and alone! One of the first things I thought of when I was reading through your story is, they need to ask family for some help! And then to read that you don't live near any family. No wonder you're feeling alone!

Now, first for some goodish news. Your husband has gone through the hardest part of withdrawal already. I'm not saying that he's on Easy Street from here on out, but at least the worst is over. His acute withdrawal symptoms may be lingering for another couple weeks, but they are nowhere near what he was going through on day 11 (for example). That being said, 2 of the toughest things about withdrawal are lack of good sleep, and feeling mentally depressed. Do those sound familiar? Although he is getting closer every day to recovering some feeling of normalcy, it's still bound to be a struggle for the next couple weeks at least.

I think your husband is going through one of the toughest experiences out there. Is there any chance he would be open to coming on to the forum himself to get support? I'm glad that you're here, don't get me wrong, but he also needs to hear that there's an end in sight. It has helped other people enormously to start a thread here and get support while they are going through this.

You sound exhausted, but I wouldn't advocate giving up the money you're bringing in. I understand that you want to be there to protect your kids and their well-being is super important too. I just wonder if losing your income would increase everyone's stress and backfire. You know your situation better than anyone else, so only you can make that call.

One other thing I'm wondering is if your kids are old enough that you can rely on their friend's parents for some help. Obviously, if they're toddlers you can't, but if they are school-age and you trust their parents, maybe you could have them spend more time at their friend's houses for now. You don't have to be specific about why you need some help either. I've done similar things for my son's friends when the parents were going through a rough situation.

Definitely let us know more about your husband's jump from suboxone so that our information can be more specific. And keep your chin up! Things will get better!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My husband has been to this forum and I think its helped. He is taking tramadol to get through and its helped. He actually slept six hours last night. But he is still feeling Luke crap and exhausted. I think dome of the really tough symptoms are behind him..but he isnt functional. I feel like I want to say, get up, try to do something..you'll feel better. But I know that won't help. At some point though I Need Him back in the game. I dont want to quit work but I just don't know how long we can share through. Til he can be present. I don't tell him this BC I dont want the pressure to backfire. I am getting sick though..BC I'm physically and emotionally Fried.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What dose did your husband jump from? I see in another thread that he was on Suboxone for 5 years? During that 5 years, what dose did he take? Did he taper at all?

I saw your post in another thread how your husband turned from a fun loving, nice guy into.....not so much a great guy anymore. Same thing happened to me. My addiction and extreme self-centeredness caused me to basically be an ass most of the time. Once off Suboxone and once through a good portion of wd's (and working with an addiction counselor), I was able to see myself and how ignorant I was being. It took me a good while to pull my head outta my ass and a lot of work, but I'm steadily getting there. I hope your husband get's there, too.

BTW, the worse thing your husband can do is sit around the house. That only prolongs the wd's. If he wants to get better quicker, he needs to get up and get moving. Some exercise would help him a lot. If he's anything like me, he'll bitch and moan at the suggestion of exercise, but it will help.

I wish you could convince him to come to the forum himself. There are a lot of people here who could help him out.