It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello
My name is Amanda. I'm a wife and mother of three awesome children. I'm struggling with addiction and so desperately need/WANT help!!!!
I am trying to find a suboxone doctor (that is accepting new patients)in Pierce County WA (Tacoma)
I no longer want to live an addicts life! I have babies that need their mommy 100% and right now that's not me. I've tried treatment but relapsed now I want to try subs and being on here I feel will help me.
My heart is crying as I write this. I need help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Amanda, welcome to the forum. This is a great place.

I also have three kids and have felt just like you. I can feel the despiration in your words. I have been on subs for over two years. I have done well on this med although I had 1 relapse four months ago.

I think suboxone has truly saved my life. I would encourage you to educate yourself about suboxone though before getting on it. Some people seem upset that nobody told them about possible side effects sub can have. I think it is a great treatment if you use sub while working on the issues that got you to take drugs in the first place.

I saw your other post about looking for a doctor. I am so sorry you are having so much trouble! I am near you and drive to seattle cauae I couldnt find a doctor either. There is a doctor locator at the top of this page. There is also 2 more doctor locators. I think one is nabt and i cant remember the other. I can look around too.

Just dont give up! Keep calling doctors. Good luck Amanda and dont hesitate to post any questions/concerns. You can PM me any time also. Let us know how you are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:32 pm 

Oh, Amanda, I was where you are now a little over a year ago. Finally desperate enough to reach out and get help. Suboxone changed my life for the better, and, although I experienced a few minor side effects, I'm so happy I started on it. I'm in Colorado, so I don't have any information about the Tacoma area, but good for you for seeking a sub doctor! I hope you can find one quickly. Someone on this forum will come along and give you a link to a good place to search for sub doctors. :)

I'm sure you're making a good search effort, and sometimes, depending on your area and how many sub doctors there are, you have to see whoever has an opening, but I wanted to give you a little advice on what you might want to look for in a doctor. First, if you can find a doctor that accepts your health insurance, that is a plus. If the doctor only accepts cash and seems very expensive, it may be that the doctor is mainly motivated to provide treatment by money. If that is the case, it doesn't necessarily mean that he/she is a bad doctor, but you may have very short appointments and you may not get your questions answered in depth. Find out if the doctor has a set protocol for treatment that is rigid and applied to everyone. For example, if the doctor wants everyone tapered off suboxone after a year, or if the doctor thinks you should never taper. The best doctor will consider your individual needs when designing a treatment plan for you. I'm sure that there may be other things to consider, but I'm not remembering anything else right now. The most important thing is for you to find any sub doctor!

Amanda, please know that you are not alone! We have all been where you are and we empathize with your situation. Many of us have kids at home and we understand how much you want to be the best mom you can be. There is hope! We, on this forum, are here for you. There are many people here with a lot of experience and wisdom. Just hold on! You are taking the steps needed to change your life!

If you want to talk or email directly with me, please send me a private message and I will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Take care,

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hey amanda,,,,,,,,,

I answered your other post, about looking for a doctor, I'll just copy it here, cuz I really want you to see it!!!!

HI

here's a couple links for you............

www.naabt.org
has you sign in, set up a profile,,,, and a doctor will call you

this one, Ive heard is alot better, becuase it lets you create how many miles your willing to travel, and it gives a list with the phone numbers.

https://www.suboxone.com/patients/opioi ... octor.aspx

hope that helps.
make sure you think about whether you want to find a doctor for maintenance or not. We've heard on here that some have 'time limits' for patients, like six months.
NOT ALL are this way though. I've been seeing my dr. for 17 months.

ALSO,
if you are still coming up with nobody accepting new patients, EXPAND your search, get on waiting lists, ETC.

This isnt an easy road to go down, but I promise it's worth it, in the end.

I was on a waiting list for a lil over two weeks.
My doctor and I get along really well now, though..... so he was totally worth the wait.

GOOD LUCK

Tacoma is only about 3 hours North of me

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Amanda! Welcome to the forum! I'm an Amanda too, see we already have so much in common... LOL

You've come to the right place girl. I posted here about 4 days or so before my first appt. with my sub dr., which by the way, I'm sorry you're having such bad luck finding one in your area, but I'm certain that you will eventually find one and you'll be on the right track!

You can go back a little in the "Inductions" section here on the forum and read my first post. I was so scared of taking that 1st step and making that appt. I was so scared that I actually made my appt out about 6 weeks just so I could prepare myself and research as much as I could. Now, I wish I'd just taken whatever appt opening they had before that.

I too have a little girl. She's 17 months old now. I was feeling the same way you are now. I knew in my heart I was a good mother, but I felt guilty and wanted to be a better mom to her, a sober mom. I would plan things around getting my pain pill refills or when I knew I'd have the money to buy some or when I knew someone had some to sell. I couldn't do anything fun with my family without those damn pills because I wanted to have "fun" or "feel good" and not be sick or in withdrawls... so, I did feel like a shitty mom for not wanting to take my kid to the pool or to the zoo on the days I didn't have my pills. There's a lot of moms on here and we all took care of our kids, they were clean and fed, but we all had that same guilt that we knew we weren't being the absolute best mommas we could be because we were addicts.

My husband supported my habit and worked his ass off to do it too and that was mainly the part that was eating me up inside. He works long hours and I'm a stay at home mom, but every bit of extra money we had was going towards my habit because he never wanted me to be sick. It got pretty bad in the end of my active addiction, we were 3 months behind on our mortgage, along with a whole list of other late bills... I just got to the place I was disgusted with myself and could barely look at my husband or my daughter without wanting to cry.

I knew I needed help and I knew I wanted to start suboxone, but it was still scary. Those pills were a big part of my life for such a long time, I was scared to give them up. I was so afraid the subs wouldn't work for me and I'd be wasting even more money on the sub doc.

I'm tellin ya, my first update on here after my appt. was great. I felt better within 15 minutes of taking that 2mg piece of the strip I got. I was and am prescribed 2, 8mg strips a day, but now even after just 4 months, I am taking 4-6mg. That keeps the cravings away and works for me. You may need more, or less, but you'll adjust to the med after a few days or a week and you'll know what works best for you. You will feel better tho, I can almost guarantee that!

Whatever they prescribe you, I'd start a little slower, like I said I took 2mg, then went up from there. I was a little dizzy, light headed and nauseous for about 4 or 5 days, but then I adjusted and all of those side affects went away. It's different for everyone, but you've come to a great place for questions and support. There's a ton of great info on here and a ton of great people who can answer your questions.

I'd start off by just looking thru and reading some of the older posts in the inductions section and maybe also in the side effects section. Seems like everyone has about the same side affects at first, and those are usually the ones I described, along with headaches. I had some of the headaches too at first, but some Excederin Migraine helped that and of course, that went away with the rest of the side affects I was going thru.

Congrats on making the one of the best decisions you could make right now and getting some help! You'll feel better and you'll feel like you're finally being the best mom for your kids, which I'm sure you already are! You're not a bad mom, you're an addict, just like the rest of us and we just need a little help kicking it, but we will and most of us here are!

Please keep us updated and let us know how it goes! If you have anymore questions at all, jump on and ask. We're here to help you as much as we can. Good Luck finding a dr soon hun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello Amanda! As the others have already said~Welcome to the forum!

Try not to be too hard on yourself. It was just a few short months ago that I have been where you are.
Today I am happier than I have been in a long long time. My life is really great. If someone would have
told me 5 months ago, that I would be right where I am at now, I probably would have laughed. There are
alot of great members on this forum, that have all been in your shoes. You have already heard from some of
my favorites!! We've all got children and understand completely, that desperate feeling of wanting to break
free from the life of addiction, and taking your children down with you. Of knowing that our children deserve
so much better than we are giving them. You can do it!

I have a good feeling that you too, are a great mother. The only thing standing in your way is this. I wish you all
the best, and I hope that you are able to find a doctor soon. Please feel free to post as often as you need to. Feel free
to ask as many questions as you need also. That's what we are here for. I think that you are going to be plesantly
surprised at the amount of support you get from the members here.

Good luck to you Amanda, and please keep us posted as to how you are doing~Take Care[/font]

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much everyone for all the kind words and all the faith you have in me that I can do this!! I'm startin to make more calls today and expanding my search ! Wish me luck!!!

Post subject: No luck!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've called EVERYONE!!! Can't find anyone or they aren't in my network.... I just keep crying and want to scream!!