It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello Q :) I don't know about this naltrexone shot...The shot I was told about is called Vivitrol.

Well, Mr. Ass came in again today before I saw my Subox Doctor. He didn't stay and talk near as long today and I think he got the vibe that I wasn’t the same nice forthcoming person as last week. I answered all his questions as short and to the point as possible. Then...Here he goes again about the Vivitrol...I'm like Sir, this is only my third time here! I have been on drugs most all my life, since 13...I have been a Pill addict and abuser for the last 18 years. I'm not going to be cured overnight. Can you please quit talking about the end result of Suboxone. I need to take this one step at a time. Think I freaked him out and he left shortly after :D

I've had a GOOD Day! Hope All Of You Can Too!!! :D

Take Care Friends 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you Zo! Don't let that bully push you around. Just focus on getting sober and working on a recovery program first. You can think about what you want to do after when it's time. Who knows where you will be in a year? You may be ready to quit subs, and you might not...it all depends on how you want to handle it and your risk for relapse.

As for the shot. Naltrexone is the main ingredient in Vivitrol. I don't understand why they told you it helps with cravings or why they told you that you could take it while on suboxone. If you take it with any opiates in your system it will push all the opiates out and put you into precipitated withdrawal. I'm not 100% sure about what Jonathan was saying about it being the emergency drug used in overdoses but it sounds right to me. All that drug will do is prevent you from relapsing by keeping the opiate from working on your receptors. So if you did relapse, there would be no reward. I'm not saying it is or isn't a good idea, but go to the internet and check it out before you make any decisions. I don't think they have explained it very well to you.

Good job for standing up for yourself!

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some very helpful Google'ing showed me this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naloxone

The inactive ingredient in Suboxone is what I was thinking of...NOT naltrexone (Vivitrol)...

Google is my friend.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Naw...They didn't tell me to take that shot while on Subox, this is the stage for after Suboxone...When I'm ready to quit Suboxone altogether. I'm not even going to consider the shot that lasts a month. I am thinking when the time comes to take a pill one time a day that does the same thing. Heard this from my Mental Health Doctor. This is the first time I've ever seen a Mental Health Doc. The guy is 70 years old and very well rounded with 50 years exp. All of his office workers are former addicts and I find that REALLY cool! Who can do the job of helping addicts better than former addicts themselves!!

Good Luck Everyone On Our Journey to a Better Life, For Us, And Everyone Around Us!!!

Thanks For All The Help!!! I Find This Place Very Helpful, and ALL the replies are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is what I think of that shot: I agree with you that they shouldn't be pushing you and talking about it so early in your treatment....like you said, one step at a time. So good for you for sticking up for yourself :) It's not a race, nor should it be treated as something that needs to be rushed (does your doctor have a time-limit, or can you be on it as long as you need?). Now, when the time does come to consider this shot or daily pill, I worry about what the result of it will be. Suboxone, as we know, lasts a long time in your system due to the long half life. That combined with the "everybody is different" factor means there is really no specific time frame for when it will be completely out of your system. If this medication does what it says it does, taking it while having any suboxone in your system could put you into instant w/d. So if they start giving it to you say, a week after suboxone....that could be painful for you. This is just where my train of thought leads me, and I could be totally wrong about how I'm understanding how the drug even works. Do they want to give it to patients to ensure if they do slip up, they won't feel the effects of it? And I wonder how soon after stopping suboxone they start giving this shot or pills?

I agree with Q that you don't know where you will be a year from now, or how you want handle your relapse risk. You may decide to try this Vivitrol, or you may decide a different method. You have that choice, they can't force you into taking something else at the end of your treatment. But that is nothing you need to focus on right now, or even worry about right now. You're doing well now and that's what matters. One foot in front of the other ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Zoso..
You must be a Jimmy Page fan..Ditto..tbe best ever.
Look i ask myaelf this everyday: is my life better today becuz of sub.?
Everyday since i started taking it it has been..30 months now at 6mgs.
Very bad pill habit brought me here.

It takes time in recovery. It is a process.
Hopefully you do have people around you to help you.
Read an learn here. Again i feel Dr junigs blog is full of honest information.
The forum is full of experince..
Plus hitn a meeting or to cant hurt.who knows you may like it.
I never have felt doing this alone works out very well.
Anyway...that shot, whole other animal..or treatment.
Wouldnt worry about it today..hope all is well today....afterall it is SUNDAY!!!!
Razor 55.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

razor53 wrote:
Hey Zoso..You must be a Jimmy Page fan..Ditto..tbe best ever.

Yes Sir! You got it 8) Been My Favorite since the age of 13...WoW, I'm 50 now :shock:

I'm on my third week with Subox, and I have to say this stuff is incredible!! I finally feel like I have my life back so ta speak...I don't find myself thinking about PILLS ALL THE TIME!!! It was driving me INSANE!!!

I have my first Addict Meeting today after work. I have never been to any sort of Meeting like this before in my life, so please wish me well. I have never been an open type of person and tend to keep things to myself a lot, but think this will help...At least I'm hoping it will :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

mizzme wrote:
This is what I think of that shot: I agree with you that they shouldn't be pushing you and talking about it so early in your treatment....like you said, one step at a time. So good for you for sticking up for yourself :) It's not a race, nor should it be treated as something that needs to be rushed (does your doctor have a time-limit, or can you be on it as long as you need?). Now, when the time does come to consider this shot or daily pill, I worry about what the result of it will be. Suboxone, as we know, lasts a long time in your system due to the long half life. That combined with the "everybody is different" factor means there is really no specific time frame for when it will be completely out of your system. If this medication does what it says it does, taking it while having any suboxone in your system could put you into instant w/d. So if they start giving it to you say, a week after suboxone....that could be painful for you. This is just where my train of thought leads me, and I could be totally wrong about how I'm understanding how the drug even works. Do they want to give it to patients to ensure if they do slip up, they won't feel the effects of it? And I wonder how soon after stopping suboxone they start giving this shot or pills?

I agree with Q that you don't know where you will be a year from now, or how you want handle your relapse risk. You may decide to try this Vivitrol, or you may decide a different method. You have that choice, they can't force you into taking something else at the end of your treatment. But that is nothing you need to focus on right now, or even worry about right now. You're doing well now and that's what matters. One foot in front of the other ;)

This is a Great Post Mizz/Q!!!
I agree with you 100% It is NOT a Race!!! I have already decided to talk to the office personnel when I get there on Wed. "My Next Subox App." and tell them, if I don't HAVE to see Mr. A Hole :evil: before my Subox Dr. I would rather NOT! He is the one pushing this into a RACE to get me on his SHOT so he can pocket 1000 bucks from it...I heard him in the background my last visit telling another patient...YOU WILL BE THERE IN NO TIME!!! Sorry people, I usually get along with everyone, but this guy has really pushed my buttons!!!
Good Luck EVERYONE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Susoxone/Addict Class went really good last night. I look forward to the next one to be honest :)
First time I have ever been to anything like this in my life...Being around people that know exactly what you are going through and Vice Versa is Really Cool :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:08 pm 

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Good for you Zo! Don't let that bully push you around. Just focus on getting sober and working on a recovery program first. You can think about what you want to do after when it's time. Who knows where you will be in a year? You may be ready to quit subs, and you might not...it all depends on how you want to handle it and your risk for relapse.

As for the shot. Naltrexone is the main ingredient in Vivitrol. I don't understand why they told you it helps with cravings or why they told you that you could take it while on suboxone. If you take it with any opiates in your system it will push all the opiates out and put you into precipitated withdrawal. I'm not 100% sure about what Jonathan was saying about it being the emergency drug used in overdoses but it sounds right to me. All that drug will do is prevent you from relapsing by keeping the opiate from working on your receptors. So if you did relapse, there would be no reward. I'm not saying it is or isn't a good idea, but go to the internet and check it out before you make any decisions. I don't think they have explained it very well to you.

Good job for standing up for yourself!

Q

Hey Q,

My doctor has brought up the same shot as a recovery tool for after suboxone. My doctor is fairly knowledgeable and he said that Naltrexone does make the cravings stay away. That's the only information I've heard about Naltrexone, but I would want to hear it from someone taking the monthly shot.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[quote=I have already decided to talk to the office personnel when I get there on Wed. "My Next Subox App." and tell them, if I don't HAVE to see Mr. A Hole :evil: before my Subox Dr. I would rather NOT! He is the one pushing this into a RACE to get me on his SHOT so he can pocket 1000 bucks from it...I heard him in the background my last visit telling another patient...YOU WILL BE THERE IN NO TIME!!! Sorry people, I usually get along with everyone, but this guy has really pushed my buttons!!!
Good Luck EVERYONE!!![/quote]

Well, I didn't even have to say a word because he was NOT even there Wed. Thank You Lord!!!

What has happened to everyone??? Whats going on in your all's lives?? Mizzme, Q, Jon, Razor, Amy...How are things my Friends??? :D

PS: Messed up that quote = O Well :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:27 pm 

I'm doing well, thanks for asking! I'm glad you were able to avoid seeing the psych dude. Maybe he'll stay on permanent vacation!

Right now I'm just trying to avoid the heat in Colorado! It's actually supposed to cool down a bit for the next few days, but it's been up in the 90's and 100's! We've got our swamp cooler going most of the time!

In other news, I'm teaching my son how to drive since he got his permit. Not as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be! He's more nervous than I am. I'm reading the new Dan Brown book, Inferno, and it's pretty good.

How are you doing, ZoSo??

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey ZoSo...

I'm doing well, thank you for asking! Sounds like you had an exciting meeting, I'm missing that around my area. We don't have ANY good NA type meetings within an hour drive of me. Grrrrr. Maybe I'll have to start one?

Anyways...I just saw the post from Amy about her doctor's opinion on the Vivitrol shot. That's interesting, the info I was going on from google said it helped with alcohol cravings but not opiate cravings. If it does, then I might be interested in it for myself when I get off the subs. I'm thinking of jumping next week. Does anyone have an extra pair of balls laying around they can loan me????? LOL. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:27 pm 

I'm pretty sure that Romes has an extra pair of brass ones! :D

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Zo,
im so glad you are doing well. It is amazing when this med works as directed.
I remember my very first day..id taken my first 4mgs and just went to bed
The thing is id taken low dose of hydro earlier that afternoon.my dr never
said a word about whating or pw..nothing.so i wake up and i felt
like a kid at xmas.. I was free...
For me im just rolln along with the treatment and i go to na meetimgs but not as many
as the first year.

It is different talking openly at first but it will really help.
So between my clinic, meetings an talking with addicts like me
im rebuilding the life i almost threw away.. And this forum,? I cant say enough
how much ive learned here from all these great people here an Dr junigs Talk Zone.
So....ya life is good..not perfect, just ask my creditors, but good.
I think about how or if or when i may taper more but im in the "if it aint broke dont fix it" place..
Remember Zo...its all a process bro.......razor 55......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I met with an addictionologist recently. He has been at the waver max for quite some time. He is very supportive of maintenance and hasn't pressured anybody to switch. The conversation has been initiated by the patient. About 10 of his patients have transitioned to Vivitrol successfully, and most say it continues to control the cravings. These were all people who took their recovery seriously. Price is an issue, it is expensive.
An up (down?) side would be a different set of side effects to deal with.
PAX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the info PAX,

I might ask my doctor about it. My insurance usually covers somewhere around 75% of any name brand medications that don't have a generic available. It's worth checking into anyway.

@Amy...Hell yea! Big brass ones, I can coordinate them with my outfit and they would make a nice little clang when I walk. Now we just have to convince Romeo that I need them more than he does. :shock: LOLOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on Naltrexone pills before. It does help with cravings a bit, but only marginally in comparison to Suboxone. The main thing that stops you using on it is the fact that using while on naltrexone is a waste. It's a very effective blocker, more effective than Suboxone. I know some people who have created their recovery out of a succession of 6 month long naltrexone implants. They just keep getting implant after implant for years.

I recently went to a doctors with someone who wanted to enquire about Vivitrol. He said they hadn't had much success with it, and that it wore off too quickly for a lot of people. The whole clinic actually has shied away from naltrexone in recent years.