It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: new here
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm 29 years old and have been fighting an addiction to oxy contin and other pain meds for about the last 6 years. I started using at work, when a coworker gave me a free line and i was off and running from there.What started as a once and a while thing quickly turned to a can't go a day without it thing. I really liked the high and i thought it made me a more outgoing person,but that all changed as tollerance levels went up and the high was never as good as it was in the beginning.I finally went to a suboxone doc about 2 years ago. Things started great but i quit after a month or so cause i couldn't afford it. I went right back to using for a while, then i went to another doc and stayed at this one alot longer than the first. SUBOXONE was so good too me and helped me live a semi normal life again. I knew after a few months with the second doc that he was going to try to get me off the subs but i didn't feel i was ready so i quit seeing him.Of course before i quit the doc i had people on the streets to get subs off so i figured i'd stay on them as long as i wanted. After about a year buying off the street it's becoming such a hassle to find now so i figured i'd try to quit. I was taking 4 miligrams a day and i was wondering how hard it will be to stop now? i'am very motivated now to stop....
any advice would be appreciated thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, welcome to the site. The disturbing trend of purchasing Suboxone on the street seems to be occurring more and more.Tell me, did either of these doctors put you through some type of counseling or addiction education? The fact that you took your treatment into your own hands is a direct sign of addiction.I am not trying to belittle you in any way, but the support and eduction is vital to recovery.I don't think anyone getting a script for Suboxone should be able to leave the doctor's office without a plan for therapy.
To answer your question about stopping your meds. All people are unique and each situation is unique, so there is no way to guarantee what your personal experience will be like. When you taper Suboxone, it is a good idea to drop your dose every other month or so to give your body and mind time to adjust to the changes occurring. Each drop being 1/2 of what you previously took, until you are taking crumbs or using a liquid concoction. The smaller you can get the dose, the less issues you will face. Again, this is just a guide- some people stay at a specific dose longer that 6 weeks if they notice they are having trouble with the taper.
My fear for you is that if this is not done properly, you risk relapse and the whole cycle starts over again.You have not been in a stable treatment program very long either time and have taken your medication to suit yourself/ your own thinking which goes against what Suboxone was intended for. I urge you to reconsider doing this alone-give it more time.You were "out there" for over six years.That is a long time to be addicted to opiates.Don't short change your recovery! Please keep us posted on your story!