It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Here.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I found this site a few weeks ago when I started searching for treatment solutions to my opiate addiction. I read many threads about suboxone and found them very informative and helpful. I decided Tuesday that opiates will no longer control my life. I, like many, started on lorcet(lortab, vicodin, whatever you get the picture) One every few days turned into one a day, into two a day, into five....six.. Then I met guy that was prescribed 180 roxies a month. So for the past year I've been snorting up to 100mg a day. If he didn't have any all I had to do was make a call. Pain pills in Alabama are easier to obtain than pot. True story. Anyway, after several failed attempts of quitting cold turkey I finally went to see a doctor and therapist on Tuesday. Since I snorted the last half pill I had before I went up there I had to wait 36 hours before I could take my first Suboxone strip. That seemed like eternity. I took my first strip at 9PM last night and proceeded to play Gran Turismo 5 on my PS3 until 5 am. Yeah, sleep was difficult. I'm hoping that that energized "i just popped a 30mg adderall" feeling was due to the fact i had felt so terrible the previous 36 hours. I'm off work the rest of the week to get into a routine and get used to this medicine. Day 3 of the rest of my life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey 04SVT!

Welcome to the site and welcome to your new life. You have come to a great place of understanding and support here. :D

Post subject: Hey O4SVT
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome to this informational and supportive Sub forum. Glad U found it! Always proud to hear addicts say they are done with the crazieness and make the jump to recovery. U decided to make a change and u did it! Awesome! Is this your first attempt at recovery?
where was ur head in the 36th hour? I remember my Induction. I wa already in WD's so I Melted right away. Pretty painless Induction. So how did ur week off work out? Settle into a routine comfortably? I am always curious to find out how each of our hopes and plans work out! Hope I'm not to nosey :)

Again welcome and any questions u have post them and one of u will reply.

Kristi

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there 04SVT,

It looks like you have already recieved several welcome's to the forum. I just wanted to respond to your concern about the energized feeling you got last night after your first dose. I think every person responds differently to the subs. How many mg's did your doctor start you with? I would expect that you would get a little buzz from your first dose. It seems to level out after a few days though. You will not get that same high like you got from the oxy's. One of the benefits of suboxone treatment is that it stays in your system for so long, dosing every day around the same time should keep your levels fairly even so that you won't be getting the ups and downs like you get from a shorter acting opiate. If you continue to have trouble sleeping maybe you can just take your dose earlier in the day. I always take mine in the morning, a couple hours after I get up. When I was in the maintenance stage of treatment I didn't feel high or like my dose was wearing off. I do get a little burst of energy for a couple hours after dosing, but it never bothered my sleep patterns at all. You need to remember that it will take a few weeks to get regulated on the medicine. Anyway it did for me. The first few weeks you may notice some mild side effects but they should go away as your body adjusts to the medicine. This is some pretty potent stuff but if you give it a chance it can totally save your life.

One of the greatest things for me the day after induction was to wake up in the morning and not be immediately thinking about taking pills. I had not had a morning when I didn't wake up in WD in so long, it was a life changing moment for me. You will have one of those moments very soon too, something will happen that will make you see how worth it those 36 hours were. You have just started your new life of freedom! Good job! Use these first few weeks of treatment to enjoy that new freedom, all the rest of it will happen when it is time. Remember that your treatment is going to be similar to most of us here, but not identical. Only you and your doctor know what is right for your situation.

I hope you have a great day! Post away if you have any more questions or just need to vent. That's what this place is for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, and welcome to the site! I too still get a little energy after I have been on Suboxone. Not a lot, but I do stay up an extra hour every day. But I have no problems sleeping being on it.

Good luck with everything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome! The doctor started me on 2 8mg strips a day. Yesterday it felt great. Today I'm nauseous. Hopefully its just my body getting used to the meds. Gotta go back to work monday no matter what!

Post subject: update..
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just vomited. Feel a little better. Still kinda dizzy and light headed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello there!

So you're dizzy and threw up.. You may want to talk to your doc about lowering your dose. I think you may be on too much. It's up to you if you want to ride it out and boost your opiate tolerance. Personally, if it were me, I'd lower my dose a bit so I didn't have those side effects. Obviously, you should loop your doctor in on how you feel. Some doctors are not very educated when it comes to prescribing suboxone though, which causes a lot of folks to adjust their doses on their own.

Do whatever you're comfortable with but just know, you are most likely taking too much suboxone right now. Good luck, we're here if you need anything! Hope you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tinydancer,

I believe you may be right. A friend started the program with the same doctor a week earlier and he had the same side effects and he lowered his dose himself before he went back to the Doc. We were both doing the same amount of oxycodone going into the program. 8mg twice daily seems too high. I'm in no way interested in upping my tolerances. Quite the opposite really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you know how much your friend settled on? I'm not a doctor obviously, just someone with 8 years experience on maintenance.. I'm guessing 8mg would keep you pretty comfortable. You could always add more if needed. Are you taking all at once or split dose?

Edited to add: Also, the fact that you got so spun out on your induction day/night is a pretty good indicator that your dose is too high. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello and Welcome 04SVT. I'm only 2 mts ahead of you on taking the films. I'm taking it for pain management . Which to me works for now. I get a bonus because I can easily get back into addiction way to fast. I to got a little sick at first and it doesn't last long. I used to eat peanut butter like 2 spoons or so right before I dosed. Then I will wait 15 or so mins. ME to. to dose with the sub. I see you are from the good ole "ROLL TIDE "' state. Yea haw.Holler back if you need to chat or just ramble

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey 04SVT,

Welcome to the forum!!

I have to agree with the other posters, you're probably on much too high a dose of Suboxone and like was already mentioned, all that's gonna do is raise your tolerance and make getting off Suboxone, if you ever choose to do that, that much harder.

You should be taking enough Suboxone to squash any cravings you have and keep yourself out of wd, no more....IMO.

I hope Suboxone works as well for you as it did many, many, many of us here on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hope your feeling a little better today!

I have to agree with the other's here. It's funny to me how differently each person tolerates the subs. I never felt sick on my 8mg dose, but my mom who started the program a year before me was TERRIBLY sick for the first week on her dose of 8mg. I am mentioning this only because we had about the same habit...we were taking pretty much the same amount of opiates daily. And she had been an addict for ALOT longer than me. She stuck it out and it went away after about a week, but IMO she probably could have gotten by with much less and it would have saved her alot of trouble in the long run. That is why I think doctors are not as educated as they should be when it comes to dosing. There was a lady that was posting here a few weeks ago that was put on I think 16mgs a day and she had only been taking 1 5mg vicodin a day! I have seen other reports of heavy heroine users who were induced at 4mg and it took them completely out of withdrawal. There really is no one size fits all approach to this medicine, IMO of course. As I think someone else mentioned, if you are planning on quitting the subs eventually it is soooooo much better to start as low as possible. Speaking from the view point of someone currently tapering and very close to being off the suboxone, I would try to lower your dose as much as possible and go from there. You definitely want to be comfortable, but not high. The lower you start the easier it will be on you in the long run.

Good luck, and I hope you know that none of us here are trying to tell you what you have to do. We just want to help. If you decide to stay at 16mg per day then that is totally cool. It is your treatment...you have to do what works for you. I just want to share what little bit of wisdom I have earned through my mistakes in the hope that I can help someone else who is where I have been.

Have a good day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I called the doctor and he advised me to take half(4mg) in the morning and another 4mg in the evening on a full stomach. Wow what a difference that has made. I slept well last night for the first time in so so long. Lack of grief had a lot to do with it as well as taking the appropriate amount of medicine. It's a beautiful sunny day with a light breeze. I'm as happy as I've been in a long time. This forum has been such a help to me. Although I've only posted a few times I have read hundreds of threads and literally thousands of posts before making the call to the doctor. I can honestly say that this forum is one of the reasons I called for help. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you! It sounds like you are blessed with a doctor who is willing to listen to his or her patient's needs. Believe it or not every doctor does not want to let the patient have any input in their dosing...period. I applaud you for being brave enough to get your dose lowered to your tolerance and not trying to hold onto those extra strips you could keep getting prescribed to you. This would have been a victory for me...honestly, I was after the highest dose I could get when I first started. I am glad now that I got a doctor who wouldn't write more than the 8mg per day...as hard as it has been to taper from that I can't imagine how hard it would be to go from those extreme doses like 32mg.

Now that you have a lowered dose and seem to have at least one day under your belt of feeling good I bet things will continue to improve and you should be good pretty soon! Now you can just sit back and enjoy being you for awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats on making the decision to take your life back ! That alone is a huge step and the subs can be a great partner in your overall plan to get off the opiate train. I think its typical to have some dosage "adjustments" to make early on until you arrive at a dosage that works good for you. Every person has different reactions but some find that an 8mg strip can be pretty strong and the half life is long lasting as well.
Sounds like your getting there with your dosage and its great to have a doc that seems to really want to help you through your recovery. I imagine you'll want to hang on to that one and be grateful, I'm sure that makes a lot of difference as well.

Again, congrats on your decision and best of luck to you. You'll find lots of great ideas here and experiences of all kinds, so theres something here for everybody, and people who have gone through it, and some that have been where you are now.